The Student Room Group

Which UK universities apart from Oxbridge are comparable to the Ivy Leagues?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by curiousquest
The notion "best" is generally taken with a poll from English speakers.

Which are the "best" unis in France, Germany, Holland, Spain, Hong Kong, Singapore, UAE, Israel, .....

Are graduates from those countries inferior when compared to the UK and US? I doubt it, judging by the vast numbers that take up the top jobs in the UK, in industry as well as in academia.

The best French graduates don't go to university. The most important German research isn't done in universities.
LSE for Economics, UCL/Imperial for Science
Reply 262
Original post by Presenttime
LSE for Economics, UCL/Imperial for Science

UCL for science? Don't think so.

Physical Sciences, Life Sciences and Engineering, which discipline would UCL be considered as good, or better than Imperial?
Original post by lotsofq

Physical Sciences, Life Sciences and Engineering, which discipline would UCL be considered as good, or better than Imperial?

UCL Biological Sciences ?
See, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I just happened to chance upon this on facebook. Our schools don't replicate this research oriented culture.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/07/11/3376612/duke-lands-big-federal-grant-for.html
Original post by tiffanysims
See, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I just happened to chance upon this on facebook. Our schools don't replicate this research oriented culture.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/07/11/3376612/duke-lands-big-federal-grant-for.html

You mean the United States taxpayer has slung a large wad of cash at a US university for a research project.

You do realise that the British taxpayer also slings enormous amounts of money at the British higher education sector.
Original post by pipsi
In my opinion, which I'm sure many will disagree with. The top unis in the UK are Oxford, Cambridge and Durham, as well as possible LSE and UCL. Although I'm not a particular fan of the London based unis and in my opinion the Doxbridge three can offer a lot more.

It's often department specific though, Theology at Durham as been voted the best department year on year and few academics in Oxford and Cambridge will argue that Durham's department isn't better than theirs.

I'm currently a student at Durham, but I've held this view for many years before I even considered applying to Durham as a postgrad. I also considered Oxford and Cambridge but a number of reasons made me apply to Durham instead.

Sweet jesus, this makes me want to leave.
The mods on this forum are total ****. Soon they will close this thread, just like they close any thread with any form of unpleasant debate.
Original post by lotsofq

Neuroscience. UCL is something like second best in the world and no European uni comes even close.
Original post by DynamicSyngery
Half the Ivy League isn't even particularly prestigious apart from for being in the Ivy League. What is Dartmouth or Cornell famous for? Do you think people on the street have heard of them? If you mean comparable to Harvard, then perhaps LSE is comparable in terms of man-on-the-street name recognition, and the whole 'Golden Triangle' and Warwick in terms of research quality.

I hope you aren't being serious. Here in Singapore Cornell is famous for its engineering and administration programs. While Dartmouth for its strong science and philosophy departments.

You may not have heard of it because you (i'm assuming) are from the UK so i don't blame you.

Also how is LSE comparable to the man-on-the street recognition as Harvard?
Original post by Ruvermillion
I hope you aren't being serious. Here in Singapore Cornell is famous for its engineering and administration programs. While Dartmouth for its strong science and philosophy departments.

You may not have heard of it because you (i'm assuming) are from the UK so i don't blame you.

Also how is LSE comparable to the man-on-the street recognition as Harvard?

I highly doubt that is man on the street.
Reply 271
Original post by pipsi
In my opinion, which I'm sure many will disagree with. The top unis in the UK are Oxford, Cambridge and Durham, as well as possible LSE and UCL. Although I'm not a particular fan of the London based unis and in my opinion the Doxbridge three can offer a lot more.

It's often department specific though, Theology at Durham as been voted the best department year on year and few academics in Oxford and Cambridge will argue that Durham's department isn't better than theirs.

I'm currently a student at Durham, but I've held this view for many years before I even considered applying to Durham as a postgrad. I also considered Oxford and Cambridge but a number of reasons made me apply to Durham instead.

"Doxbridge"? LOL LSE and Imperial are miles ahead of Durham. I think being a Durham student has really got the better of you. Doxbridge ffs get a grip :confused:
Reply 272
After Oxbridge and LSE. Manchester is one of the strongest uni's in this country in terms of international prestige.

Interesting how no one in this thread has mentioned it. As it is far better than Durham, Bristol, St Andrews etc etc.

Going on last years QS rankings, Manchester is no 7 in the UK, and 48 in the world. So yeah deffo as good as any ivy league.
Original post by dj1015
After Oxbridge and LSE. Manchester is one of the strongest uni's in this country in terms of international prestige.

Interesting how no one in this thread has mentioned it. As it is far better than Durham, Bristol, St Andrews etc etc.

Going on last years QS rankings, Manchester is no 7 in the UK, and 48 in the world. So yeah deffo as good as any ivy league.

lol
Reply 274
So "Moxbridge" is more credible than "Doxbridge".
Reply 275
Original post by Cutmeloose
lol

Do you even go to university?

Have you ever spoken to academic professionals?

I suspect no.......

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/top-400.html#score_OS%7Csort_region%7Creverse_false

something for you to enjoy...
Original post by oj234
"Doxbridge"? LOL LSE and Imperial are miles ahead of Durham. I think being a Durham student has really got the better of you. Doxbridge ffs get a grip :confused:

LOL
Original post by dj1015
Do you even go to university?

Have you ever spoken to academic professionals?

I suspect no.......

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/top-400.html#score_OS%7Csort_region%7Creverse_false

something for you to enjoy...

Conveniently leaving out fact that in domestic leagues Manc does not even make top 30 in 3 / 4 ranks, the one it does it is 29.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 278
Original post by Zenomorph
Conveniently leaving out fact that in domestic leagues Manc does not even make top 30 in 3 / 4 ranks, the one it does it is 29.

Continently you left out the fact that Manchester is the largest university in the UK, and thus covers a wider range of disciplines than any other institution. So there are some areas that are lacking. But on the whole, a highly regarded and respected institution both nationally and internationally.

Also if you took the 10 strongest departments at manc, and compared them to any one else below 7th place. Manc comes out on top every time.
Reply 279
Why is US universities in the thread when it was supposed to be UK?

Quick Reply

Latest