The Student Room Group

How do I change my 'education' based CV to a more 'work' oriented CV?

When I applied for my first job I had a very 'education' based CV (e.g. names of all GCSEs and A Levels and grades) as I had no work experience in retail. Now I have finished this job (after a year) I am finding it difficult trying to eliminate parts, I am trying to keep it to a page long.

So, how do I make my CV more experience based? How should I reduced the education information?
Reply 1
Original post by VeggieHJT

When I applied for my first job I had a very 'education' based CV (e.g. names of all GCSEs and A Levels and grades) as I had no work experience in retail. Now I have finished this job (after a year) I am finding it difficult trying to eliminate parts, I am trying to keep it to a page long.

So, how do I make my CV more experience based? How should I reduced the education information?

I had this exact problem so I know what you mean!

You need to highlight EXPERIENCE! It's what everybody wants in retail! Represent extracurricular activities as what skills they've given you and have a snappy but informative personal statement. Just state how many GCSEs you've studied and then say you studied English and Maths (followed by the grades) e.g. "I have studied 10 GCSEs including English, French and Maths; Grades A*-C" or if you've got really good results state 5A* for example.

Charity work is good and draw everything back to retail based. So "I volunteered at Barnardos for two years and have displayed products effectively and interacted with and served customers."

Hope this helps and feel free to ask questions! (my CV was a lot more successful once I changed it!) and one page is the right idea! :smile: X

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2

May I recommend that you open up a thread in the TSR CV Clinic ? I've used them and they can actually tell you how to really fix up your CV and essentially sort out your problem you're having :yep:
Reply 3

Your CV shouldn't be longer than one page, unless you can give the employer evidence of relevant skills. For example, skills you have developed from participating in extra-curricular activities, sports, etc. You may also have done voluntary work, which I assume will have been in a charity shop, because you said you worked in retail. If you have done voluntary work, have some paid employment experience, qualifications, and extra-curriculars to show/provide evidence of skills, your CV will be two pages long. Otherwise, it should only be one page.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending