The Student Room Group

Do Oxford see module grades?

I have heard that either from this year or next year, Oxford or maybe all unis will be able to see our module grades? Can anyone tell me if this is correct or not and if so whether, given my current disaster in chemistry, I should still be thinking of applying? (see sig.) Thanks for any help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
oxford this year can only see grades that you put in ps or reference. there is no room on application form for 2008 to put on scores, unlike cambridges form
Reply 2
I've started my UCAS application (for '08 entry) and it does include module grade information (but not UMS scores). I assume all unis will be able to see it.
Reply 3
I might ask athena to sticky this/add it to the faq or whatever.

When you do you AS exams your school has the option to certificate or 'cash in' them there and then (thus turning them into AS levels) or else wait until you've finished your A2 year. The advantage for the school in leaving them uncertificated is that they don't have decline your AS level in order for you to resit a module, which is just another bit of hassle that they'd rather avoid.

If your school has certificated your AS levels (ie. it says on your results slip AS Mathematics : grade A) then you put down your overall grade are 'recommended' to add the module grades as well. (as in A, B, C etc. *not* the actual UMS score). This information will be seen by all the universities you apply to.

If your school has not certificated your AS levels you put them down as 'pending' on ucas and the only way universities will know how you did in your AS levels is if you or your referee tell them.

http://www.ucas.com/apply08/education/educationdetails
For GCE Advanced Subsidiary (AS) subjects, we refer to 'certification' of qualifications. You 'certificate' an AS subject when you claim or 'cash in' the results. For GCE AS subjects, you can choose when you 'certificate' your results. If you have certificated a GCE Single Award and you are taking a GCE Double Award, you must enter the GCE Single Award with a grade and the GCE Double Award with the grade pending.

You must list all subjects that have been certificated (also known as 'claimed' or 'cashed in') at GCE AS and ASVCE level. This includes subjects which you are taking at A2 level. You should also include a subject even if you are re-sitting a unit to improve your A2 grade. However subjects that have not been certificated cannot be listed.

If you have any doubts about the 'certification' of your AS subjects, you should check with your school or college, or whoever is helping you with your application.

For certificated qualifications you are recommended to include details of all units with a separate result/grade, but which are incorporated into the overall qualification grade.

If you have certificated an AS level and are continuing the subject to A2, you should:

1. enter the AS level, overall grade and unit titles and grades that make up the AS;
2. enter the same subject as an A level with the overall grade as pending and then list only the A2 units with the grades as pending. You should not re-enter the AS unit details for the A level.
Reply 4
To answer the OP's second question, personally I would apply anyway. You have an A in the English and (presumably) an A in Spanish, as well as As in French and RS without any bad modules. As a general rule, unless you're a 'borderline candidate' Oxford will only be looking at 3 grades - so the fact that grade number 5 (Chemistry) is a bit dodgy isn't going to influence your application - especially since it's unrelated to the subject you want to read at undergrad. The worst that can happen is that they reject you - but you're not setting yourself up for a fall.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone for your help!

When you do you AS exams your school has the option to certificate or 'cash in' them there and then (thus turning them into AS levels) or else wait until you've finished your A2 year.

I am aware of this, I was referring to whether it is possible for unis to look up our module grades online themselves or whether UCAS are providing them with this info if they ask - it was something my exam coordinator mentioned at school but was unsure of.

The worst that can happen is that they reject you - but you're not setting yourself up for a fall.

And thank you to bekaboo for the advice on applying. I guess you only get one chance so I may as well give it a go...

and (presumably) an A in Spanish

yes but I am having the speaking remarked so hopefully a better A than I have at the moment!
Reply 6
Do you think putting your overall UMS score for relevant subjects is a good idea in the PS? Could this go down badly with some tutors? Would it be better to ask a teacher to put it in the reference?
Reply 7
spamuo
Would it be better to ask a teacher to put it in the reference?

;yes;
Reply 8
What is the case for post-Q applicants?
Do I need to include module grades or just put overall grades?
My Further Maths and Economics module grades are not terribly good, although secured As in both.
Reply 9
Hi, I really don't understand all this cashing in thing!!!
Basically what's happened is my school has just (stupidly) cashed in my English and Chemistry grades which are A for the former and C for the latter. I have also gained an A grade in History and 2 B's in German and General Studies. I've dropped Chemistry now, but will Universities definetely be able to see my Chemistry and English grades regardless of what I do?
I'm applying next year and was wondering......

- If Module Grades have to be put down next year, does this include UMS?............

The reason I ask is, for most modules i have an A, but they are low A's (i.e. 80%-85% ish) :frown: ...........
Reply 11
rkd
I've started my UCAS application (for '08 entry) and it does include module grade information (but not UMS scores). I assume all unis will be able to see it.

For '07 entries also! I had to input my module grades??!! Although wasn't sure whether it was compulsory or not...
Reply 12
brighthw
What is the case for post-Q applicants?
Do I need to include module grades or just put overall grades?
My Further Maths and Economics module grades are not terribly good, although secured As in both.
ucas
For certificated qualifications you are recommended to include details of all units with a separate result/grade, but which are incorporated into the overall qualification grade.

briony123
Hi, I really don't understand all this cashing in thing!!!
Basically what's happened is my school has just (stupidly) cashed in my English and Chemistry grades which are A for the former and C for the latter. I have also gained an A grade in History and 2 B's in German and General Studies. I've dropped Chemistry now, but will Universities definetely be able to see my Chemistry and English grades regardless of what I do?

ucas
You must list all subjects that have been certificated (also known as 'claimed' or 'cashed in') at GCE AS and ASVCE level. This includes subjects which you are taking at A2 level. You should also include a subject even if you are re-sitting a unit to improve your A2 grade. However subjects that have not been certificated cannot be listed.

akademic
If Module Grades have to be put down next year, does this include UMS?............

me
you put down your overall grade and are 'recommended' to add the module grades as well. (as in A, B, C etc. *not* the actual UMS score).

eau
For '07 entries also! I had to input my module grades??!! Although wasn't sure whether it was compulsory or not...

me
you put down your overall grade and are 'recommended' to add the module grades as well. (as in A, B, C etc. *not* the actual UMS score).

It's all there, people! And there was me thinking i'd seen the end of it...
Reply 13
Hey guys:

If anyone can confidently answer this question with reference to a reputable source I'd be very very grateful. I just don't know whether they're used in the selection process.

Many thanks,
Nilz :smile:
Reply 14
since their inclusion on the ucas form is fairly new it's difficult to say. It doesn't hurt to have as many A grades as possible, though.
As an educated guess, it's likely to depend on the subject, college and individual tutor, so it's difficult to give a definitive answer, i'm afraid.
Every subject is now required to set out it's admissions policy (check their website- that's where it'll be if anywhere), which might shed some light on it; failling that, you could always try emailing the admissions tutor at the college you're interested in.
my teacher said they did actually have your module marks on their desk, even if you don't write them.
And how would that be possible if you didn't write it on the OAF and on UCAS?
Reply 17
matchdancer- your teacher is mistaken.
Reply 18
OP, you've like COMPLETELY stolen my signature (especially the way I had it before AS results).
Reply 19
but he has AEAs down too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending