The Student Room Group

WH Smith application

Okay, so Smiths are looking for Xmas staff, and I was wondering how long the shifts would be if you put that you can work from 7:30 AM onwards, weekend mornings.

Also, with the application form, they ask for your best experience of customer service and why it was so good. Now I have a feeling they're going to like you if you put on that the best customer service you've ever received was from Smiths, but isn't that too obvious? Do I have to name the shop?

As with the personal references, can it be a relative? They don't seem to have any restrictions other than that you have to have known them for two years. I can't use anyone at college because I've only just started my second year.

How are Smiths with absenses for medical reasons? I've put that I can start immediately but in about two weeks I have an operation which I have to rest for at the weekend (Saturday 8th, Sunday 9th). I imagine they may not be able to process my application that quick, so it may not be a problem, but it could be... *unsure*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have one of those forms and I have no idea what to put for the questions they ask...
For that teamwork thing, I just put about a situation that happened recently where we all had to pull together to get the best results possible. The other staff were delayed in getting the residents out for dinner so I did my bit to make sure that there wasn't an overall delay for those who were already at the table with their food. Felt really proud :biggrin:.
Reply 3
i filled that form. i didnt wanna put wh smith as best customer servise cos that sounds fake and, i put about when i bought a mobile phone. they havent replied yet its been 2 weeks
Reply 4
are u guys just applying for xmas staff???
any full time vacancy in WHsmith???

how do u get a form?
Reply 5
everything about there christmas jobs can be found at:

http://www.whsmithcareers.co.uk/careers/seasonal.html

including the application form to download.
Reply 6
lostinfantasies
Okay, so Smiths are looking for Xmas staff, and I was wondering how long the shifts would be if you put that you can work from 7:30 AM onwards, weekend mornings.

We had Xmas temps doing 6-1 and 3-9 last Christmas. The work's mostly replenishment, although you'll probably have to jump onto the tills or pack for the permanent staff once it gets busy.

If you can only do weekend mornings they'll give you the morning shift, which is basically nothing but replenishment, but they'll also try to get you to do extra hours on weekdays.

lostinfantasies
Also, with the application form, they ask for your best experience of customer service and why it was so good. Now I have a feeling they're going to like you if you put on that the best customer service you've ever received was from Smiths, but isn't that too obvious? Do I have to name the shop?

It doesn't matter what the heck you write, but if I was filling out the form I'd be tempted to make up the name and location of a tiny shop, and claim it was staffed by a kindly old lady who answered my questions quickly, smiled, led me to what I was looking for and who pointed out a special offer I hadn't noticed previously. Etc.

lostinfantasies
As with the personal references, can it be a relative? They don't seem to have any restrictions other than that you have to have known them for two years. I can't use anyone at college because I've only just started my second year.

It's best not to have a relative as a referee, since they aren't considered objective enough to give an unbiased opinion of you. Family friends are handy.

lostinfantasies
How are Smiths with absenses for medical reasons? I've put that I can start immediately but in about two weeks I have an operation which I have to rest for at the weekend (Saturday 8th, Sunday 9th). I imagine they may not be able to process my application that quick, so it may not be a problem, but it could be... *unsure*

Tell them about the appointment when you go for interview.

The first temps don't usually start until the start of November, the second round start at the beginning of December and my Smiths was large enough to require a shift of night workers doing 6-12 in the week before Christmas. The operation probably won't be an issue at all.
Thank God! Was hoping it wouldn't be.

How about an old guy/couple across the road from my house? He's a sort of family friend. Also, what's the pay like? I'm 17.

Thanks!
Reply 8
has anyone filled in a miths form and heard anything fromthem. how long after do they reply if they wnt to interview you, cos they dnt reply at all if theyre not interested in u.
Reply 9
sweetie999
has anyone filled in a miths form and heard anything fromthem. how long after do they reply if they wnt to interview you, cos they dnt reply at all if theyre not interested in u.
They're obviously not interested in me then! :mad:
Reply 10
lostinfantasies
Thank God! Was hoping it wouldn't be.

How about an old guy/couple across the road from my house? He's a sort of family friend. Also, what's the pay like? I'm 17.

Thanks!

If they'll say good things, they should do nicely.

Basic rate for full-time staff is £4.85 plus a location allowance that varies depending on how close you are to London. Temps probably get paid the same. I was paid that when I was 17, but I think they may not have realised how old I was...
Its went up to 5.05. I left and the new wages came were introduced. Its less for a Temp though.
I'm not *too* fussed about the wage packet - I have another job. This is just so that any extra money from other temporary jobs can go straight through from my bank to my savings account (I'm saving a certain amount from my main wage, but all of my Christmas/temporary wage, if I get a job).
Where I worked, my contract was 14 hours so my hours were 8.30-5.30 on a Saturday then 10.30 (sometimes 9.30) to 5.30 on a Sunday.

If your a Temp, you wouldnt be able to do the newspapers at 7.30 because a Weekender would already being doing it.
Reply 14
i worked at Whsmiths the christmas before last and got paid £4.80 an hour (including the location allowance) as I was 17, but very likely its gone up now!

i got asked that question about customer service in my interview and said the disney store, as the staff always make such an effort for customers, are always friendly and approachable and are able to communicate well with both children and adults (my sister used to work there so it was the first place that popped into my mind, but the woman seemed impressed!!! hehe)

i said i wanted 12hours a weekend (didnt specify a time to start) and ended up with 9-1 and 10-6, which soon became 6-10 on fris, 9-6 sat, 9-6 sunday, they are quite cheeky with the temps!

good luck with your application, its a really fun job to have! (depends on the store and the dept though i guess!)
Our store isn't beginning to contact people they want to interview for temps til the 1st October. Maybe they're just waiting a while to get a bunch of replies? You'll probably start mid-October - November (depending on when you can) and finish late January. Some stay on longer, some start later. It's all relative.

Pay varies from store to store; I know someone who works in the Leeds Smiths and get paid about 15p per hour more than him, even though we're both Sales Assisstants. Temps generally get paid the 'training' rate though.

Don't know about other stores, but a shift for a full-time member of staff in ours in about nine hours. Last year most of the temps got pulled in at least one Saturday a month and perhaps two or three if the managers could get away with it. This year they're recruiting weekend temps, though, so that might not be the case.

Erm; questions on the form. You don't need to put down Smiths for customer service! Infact, it probably looks as though you can't think of anything which constitutes good customer service if you do... I put a hotel I went to... For teamwork I think I put something about school plays. Seriously, anything about working in a group is fine (e.g. presentation at school); make it up if you have to! Be warned though, I was asked on the school play stuff in my interview; they might pick up on anything which is slightly different or interesting so I wouldn't make anything you can't bluff about! Oh, and I put down a particular book for the describe a product section, which helped land me a job in the books department I think... So it might be an idea to try and 'sell'/'recommend' something from the department you'd prefer to work in (make sure your Smiths has that department first, though!)

Anyways, good luck to you all :smile:
Hey, i'd like to get a job over the "seasonal" period, so what is the minimum age you can work at WH Smith? I'm 15, and on another post someone said they worked there from 15, is that still possible?
Reply 17
whsmith is great, i've worked in the travel sector for a year, and its much better.
btw if you work for over three months (i think) your pay goes up :wink:
Reply 18
the application asks if you are of school leaving age so i don't think you will be able to work there unless you are 16 or over.
Reply 19
i applied to wh smiths and they called me last week, however i accidently diverted them and rejected the call. they havent called again and ive called them back aswell, and left a message. is it because i diverted their call that there not going to call back? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending