The Student Room Group

Intercalated year at Durham/Newcastle?

Hey, just wondering, anybody know how many students Durham/Newcastle accept to undertake an intercalated BSc, you know, as an extra year in the normal 5 year A100 course?
Many thanks :smile: xxx
Reply 1
As in, how many actually do or how many can?
I'm not sure what the link is with Newcastle/Durham (having never studied, or wanted to study medicine), but I did Biomed at Newcastle, and we had about 10 intercalated students in our optional modules. They were absolutly awful (sounds so harsh) because all they were interested in was trying to get their dissertation published rather than any of the module work, which was fair enough... but we had to do group work with them, and the grade massively affected our degree classification!
Reply 3
Original post by Beska
As in, how many actually do or how many can?

How many can- like it's really competitive usually isn't it because they only take a certain number?
Reply 4
Original post by linkdapink
I'm not sure what the link is with Newcastle/Durham (having never studied, or wanted to study medicine), but I did Biomed at Newcastle, and we had about 10 intercalated students in our optional modules. They were absolutly awful (sounds so harsh) because all they were interested in was trying to get their dissertation published rather than any of the module work, which was fair enough... but we had to do group work with them, and the grade massively affected our degree classification!

Argh that's really annoying for you!!!
Thanks for the info though xx
Reply 5
Original post by KittyCait
How many can- like it's really competitive usually isn't it because they only take a certain number?

Having a look at the relevant documents, as far as I can see there is no hard limit on the number of people that can intercalate (at least for the standard BSc following stage 2). The wording of it suggests that as long as you complete stage 2 in one go (ie no resits you can intercalate: "Following successful competition of stage 2 at the first attempt, students will be able to elect to intercalate...."

Entry to the programmes allowing you to intercalate a masters (MSc, MPhil, MRes) and the MBBS/PhD programme seem more competitive though. You intercalate these normally after stage 4.

As always, email the med school to make sure. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Beska
Having a look at the relevant documents, as far as I can see there is no hard limit on the number of people that can intercalate (at least for the standard BSc following stage 2). The wording of it suggests that as long as you complete stage 2 in one go (ie no resits you can intercalate: "Following successful competition of stage 2 at the first attempt, students will be able to elect to intercalate...."

Entry to the programmes allowing you to intercalate a masters (MSc, MPhil, MRes) and the MBBS/PhD programme seem more competitive though. You intercalate these normally after stage 4.

ooh thank you!!! You must be much better at searching than my pathetic Googling attempts because I couldn't find anything like that! :tongue: xx
Original post by Beska

Whilst I am no expert on Newcastle, I would imagine there is a set quota, because you're taking a number of students out from one year and putting them in the year below. Therefore the number each year has to be pretty similar else you end up with skewed year sizes and problems with clinical groups.
when i asked at interview last year they said that anyone that wanted to, and had passed all their exams etc, tended to be able to
Reply 9
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Whilst I am no expert on Newcastle, I would imagine there is a set quota, because you're taking a number of students out from one year and putting them in the year below. Therefore the number each year has to be pretty similar else you end up with skewed year sizes and problems with clinical groups.

I assume there is a set quota per individual intercalated BSc course, but nothing of the kind is mentioned in the internal documents.

e: I presume that they assume that not everybody will intercalate and thus that a similar amount will drop out after 2nd year (stage 2, as I mentioned) thus not screw up the clinical years quotas etc. as much.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10

Mare for you.

I'm doing Physiology atm and most of our intercalaters have been really good additions to the class.

I don't know how many people do it, but there are a fair amount of post- 3rd and 4th year medics that I know who are currently intercalating a MSc/MRes at the moment and a couple who are going for BScs.
On our side, hardly any. Many do MRes after 4th year though.
Original post by Tabris
Mare for you.

I'm doing Physiology atm and most of our intercalaters have been really good additions to the class.

I don't know how many people do it, but there are a fair amount of post- 3rd and 4th year medics that I know who are currently intercalating a MSc/MRes at the moment and a couple who are going for BScs.

Ah, I'm well jealous. Most of ours were really Rah, and don't really care at all, either that, or they pretend they don't care. Are you at Newcastle but from York? CRAZY! Me too!
Reply 13
Ah, I'm well jealous. Most of ours were really Rah, and don't really care at all, either that, or they pretend they don't care. Are you at Newcastle but from York? CRAZY! Me too!

Well, I'm from East Yorkshire. But I'm about half an hour away from York itself though. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending