The Student Room Group

*Support for NHS students announced- aka medics, nurses, physios*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zippyRN
Nottingham was doing that 10+ years ago primarily for the Boston / Grantham based Students because of the distance between the two sites and the remoteness of Boston from Nottingham, the distance to remote placements ( given rural Lincolnshire had at that time very few buses and even fewer trains) .. admittedly they were pool cars people were expected to share wherever possible ...

Ah..well..I've been given one..currently in shock as surely it'd be easier to place me at a hospital nearer rather than 30miles away?!
Original post by Dave10
Can somebody answer these questions for me please

1. Im doing occupational therapy in 2012 do i get the course paid for the same as past student have had ?

2. Im not aware of what the old bursary scheme was etc, is this new revised version better ? if so, how ?

1. Yes free tuition fees

2. It's better because you get an extra grand a year!
Reply 42
brilliant !

thanks for clearing that up for me
Original post by Subcutaneous
Ah..well..I've been given one..currently in shock as surely it'd be easier to place me at a hospital nearer rather than 30miles away?!

well at least they are giving you the means.. where are you placed BTW ?
Reply 44
Original post by rosemary22
thanks. What course were/are you doing? I will ask the uni at some point.

nursing
Original post by zippyRN
well at least they are giving you the means.. where are you placed BTW ?

Well I can't really say but a palliative care ward in a community hospital in rural nottinghamshire. Despite there being two perfectly good hospitals on my doorstep..
Reply 46
Original post by Dave10
Can somebody answer these questions for me please

1. Im doing occupational therapy in 2012 do i get the course paid for the same as past student have had

2. Im not aware of what the old bursary scheme was etc, is this new revised version better ? if so, how ?

Hi I'm applying to do ot too. Where are you thinking of applying to?
Reply 47
Original post by RAPSTER
nursing

Oh cool i have a friend at college applying for nursing :smile:
:cool:
Reply 49
I see no mention of dentists in the title :cool:
Original post by torchwood
I see no mention of dentists in the title :cool:

They come under 'etc'
Reply 51
Are the bursaries and means tested grants given per year, or is it only a one time thing?
Original post by hookguy
Are the bursaries and means tested grants given per year, or is it only a one time thing?

You get them every year, but not necessarily the same amount (you are income assessed every year).
Reply 53
Original post by PhoenixFortune
You get them every year, but not necessarily the same amount (you are income assessed every year).

Thanks very much, is there some sort of table with income against bursary you would get, or do they consider each individual differently? And its based on your parents income, right?
Original post by hookguy
Thanks very much, is there some sort of table with income against bursary you would get, or do they consider each individual differently? And its based on your parents income, right?

It depends very much on your circumstances, so there isn't a conversion chart. There's the NHS bursary calculator, but that isn't too accurate as it only takes about two factors into account on there. It's based on your parents income if you aren't classed as an independent student.
Reply 55
Wait, so if i do med in 2012 my 9k fees are paid of and i dont have to repay it at all?
Glad med students finally get the same funding as nursing students
Reply 57
Could someone please explain to me the loans/bursaries etc I'd get if I got accepted to study dentistry as a person who already has a degree in biomedical sciences? I just want to make sure I've read it correctly.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
That was a confusing read, could somebody please try to explain/answer these for me..

1) Does everyone get £1000? Like every single medical student? irrespectively of whether you took a gap year, are NOT from a 'lower income family', British citizen from Wales? How often do you get the £1000 or is it a one off?

2) What other financial support is eligible for someone from Wales who wishes to study medicine in England but does not come from 'geographically disadvantaged' areas and has no disabilities, parents are still together and the combined household income is not defined as 'low'.

Thank you very much!!
Reply 59
Original post by Dunn0
Wait, so if i do med in 2012 my 9k fees are paid of and i dont have to repay it at all?

Did you find out if this is true? Sounds mad!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending