The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by fawltyfan
Just for the benefit of other Law applicants, and to update NeoNerd, I spoke to a very helpful woman today at the UG Law admissions office who has particular responsibility for Joint Honours.

She said that they have 3 categories of Joint Honours in law: combinations which make it impossible to take all qualifying subjects; combinations where taking all qualifying subjects is difficult but possible; and combinations where taking all qualifying subjects is possible and recommended.

So it's good news in that if I go to Edinburgh I will be able to do Law and French while taking all the qualifying subjects - I sent them my application today. :smile:

That's good news! It certainly wasn't possible four years ago when I started out, much to the complaint of many fellow students.

I hope to see you around the Law School next year. I might even end up tutoring you, which is slightly scary.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 41
Hey...

I'm planning on applying for 2013 for physics and meterology and was wondering whether scientists at kings feel at all isolated from the rest of the uni?? Its my main concern, but think I‘d apply for accommodation right in the city...
Original post by coffeelass
Hey...

I'm planning on applying for 2013 for physics and meterology and was wondering whether scientists at kings feel at all isolated from the rest of the uni?? Its my main concern, but think I‘d apply for accommodation right in the city...

No.

There's hundreds of people at KB every day; we have our union building and loads of cafés and stuff. It's also only a 40 minute walk to GS, and there's a uni shuttle that runs all the time.

First years have lectures in GS anyway.
I have a question, well its kinda a question. For my standard grades, I did SHOCKINGLY, and hardly managed to crape into my highers due to me being kinda "bad ass" (i.e. out drinking all the time, etc). However, I managed to turn my life around for the better and achieve AAAB for my SQA Highers (huge achievement for me). I'm hoping to do Law at Edinburgh. Do you think the admission teams will see the clashing of the level of my higher and standard grade results and judge me on the results of the past? Also, anyone who is doing Law, what grades did you get in with? And did you have a conditional or unconditional? Sorry for the long question lol :P
So...anything about the language centre? It's resources? Anything for self-study?
Reply 45
Original post by mikeandikes
So...anything about the language centre? It's resources? Anything for self-study?

I'm not sure what the language centre is. There's the 24-hour language lab, but I think you have to be enrolled on a DELC course to use it. EUSA do some free basic language classes that are really popular. Various language departments have their own libraries that anyone can use but I don't think you can take out books. EUSA also run this thing called TANDEM with language cafes where you can meet native speakers/find people to practice with. Obviously there's plenty of books in the main library too that you could use but as a languages student I've never gone down the 'teach yourself' route so I'm not too knowledgeable, sorry.
Reply 46
Original post by cgraham15
I have a question, well its kinda a question. For my standard grades, I did SHOCKINGLY, and hardly managed to crape into my highers due to me being kinda "bad ass" (i.e. out drinking all the time, etc). However, I managed to turn my life around for the better and achieve AAAB for my SQA Highers (huge achievement for me). I'm hoping to do Law at Edinburgh. Do you think the admission teams will see the clashing of the level of my higher and standard grade results and judge me on the results of the past? Also, anyone who is doing Law, what grades did you get in with? And did you have a conditional or unconditional? Sorry for the long question lol :P

Generally, an improvement in grades goes without much comment! But if the improvement is absolutely massive, spin it into a positive. If you're improving rapidly and now have a strong work ethic, say so. They like candidate who have self awareness. If you can show you know you made mistakes in the past but have learned from them, then great.

As for getting into law - perfectly possible with those grades. I got in unconditionally four years ago with AAABC at Higher. Law has always been competitive, and grades aren't everything. So try to make yourself stand out from the crowd. I attribute quite a lot of my success to my Personal Statement, and also to being a nerd and doing a part-time university course alongside my Advanced Highers.
Reply 47

Are you in sixth year?? If so what are you studying this year and what do you expect to get?
Original post by NeoNerd
Generally, an improvement in grades goes without much comment! But if the improvement is absolutely massive, spin it into a positive. If you're improving rapidly and now have a strong work ethic, say so. They like candidate who have self awareness. If you can show you know you made mistakes in the past but have learned from them, then great.

As for getting into law - perfectly possible with those grades. I got in unconditionally four years ago with AAABC at Higher. Law has always been competitive, and grades aren't everything. So try to make yourself stand out from the crowd. I attribute quite a lot of my success to my Personal Statement, and also to being a nerd and doing a part-time university course alongside my Advanced Highers.

Okay :smile: I didn't say that I know that I've improved in my PS but I mentioned the dedication and committment! And yeah I think my Personal Statement is good, and I do a lot of sport/clubs. So hopefully :biggrin:
Original post by Kiss
Are you in sixth year?? If so what are you studying this year and what do you expect to get?

Yes I'm in sixth year :smile: And I'm doing Advanced Higher History, along with Higher Spanish, Higher Politics, and Higher Economics :awesome:
Reply 50
Yes I'm in sixth year :smile: And I'm doing Advanced Higher History, along with Higher Spanish, Higher Politics, and Higher Economics :awesome:

You'll be fine. But if you feel as if you're not as good in one, and you're good in the others, don't try too hard to do well in it. Play to your strengths and aim for As in the subjects you can do well in.
Original post by Kiss
You'll be fine. But if you feel as if you're not as good in one, and you're good in the others, don't try too hard to do well in it. Play to your strengths and aim for As in the subjects you can do well in.

Okay, thanks for the info!:smile:
Reply 52
Original post by oxymoronic
Click on this link and it will bring you to another page with with wording to the effect of 'listed below are the details for the degree course for which we have made you an offer'. If you have this new tab and these words, then well done, you have an offer! The actual offer terms will be posted on UCAS but this can take anything from a few hours to a few days. Be patient!

What a fantastic FAQ. First of all, want to thank you for such an amazing effort.

A quick question. Yes, it is mentioned it might take between few hours to a few days. What is "few days" - 2, 3 or much more?On an average, typically how long will it take for the offer terms to be in UCAS after this blank status on the myed?

Thanks
Reply 53
Original post by new123

Original post by new123
What a fantastic FAQ. First of all, want to thank you for such an amazing effort.

A quick question. Yes, it is mentioned it might take between few hours to a few days. What is "few days" - 2, 3 or much more?On an average, typically how long will it take for the offer terms to be in UCAS after this blank status on the myed?

Thanks

A few days is generally defined as 2-3 days, yes.

As I said in the OP it really seems to vary between courses and applicants how long it takes between their MyEd changing and details coming up on UCAS. Sometimes it will be pretty much instantly whereas at other times it could be a case of its one person making the decisions/changes on MyEd then these are all clocked up for a few days and decisions are in putted to UCAS track by someone else once or twice a week so there is a delay.

Has your MyEd changed then? :smile:
I guess I didn't mean language centre. I just meant if there were any self-study resources to learn languages on your own.

For example, the University of Exeter lets you take language modules as part of your degree, regardless of your degree course. They also have tandem.

And Oxford and Cambridge have language centres with self-study resources for free.
Reply 55
A few days is generally defined as 2-3 days, yes.

As I said in the OP it really seems to vary between courses and applicants how long it takes between their MyEd changing and details coming up on UCAS. Sometimes it will be pretty much instantly whereas at other times it could be a case of its one person making the decisions/changes on MyEd then these are all clocked up for a few days and decisions are in putted to UCAS track by someone else once or twice a week so there is a delay.

Has your MyEd changed then? :smile:

One of my friends (american applicant) mentioned that her myed status changed since 3 days and no update on UCAS yet and was obviously getting anxious and hence was contemplating if a follow up with uni is needed to figure it out.

Given your experience, what is your advice? Wait it out further (most of the posts in TSR imply an update within a couple of hours but it seems like they are all posts pertinent to the month of March meaning more busy times with regards to offers) Did not find a single post wherein it had taken more than 3 or 4 days to update.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by new123

Original post by new123
One of my friends (american applicant) mentioned that her myed status changed since 3 days and no update on UCAS yet and was obviously getting anxious and hence was contemplating if a follow up with uni is needed to figure it out.

Given your experience, what is your advice? Wait it out further (most of the posts in TSR imply an update within a couple of hours but it seems like they are all posts pertinent to the month of March meaning more busy times with regards to offers) Did not find a single post wherein it had taken more than 3 or 4 days to update.

To be honest, all Edinburgh will say is wait. You're not supposed to know that if your MyEd changes and various things pop up that you get an offer, its more that obsessive applicants on TSR have realised that this is what happens and have told other people which as a consequence makes people worry earlier than they would if they didn't know that this is what it means. Edinburgh have until 5th May 2012 to reply to applicants meaning they're not in any hurry at all, regardless of whether it appears that part of the decision making has happened. Some people last year reported having a blank status for longer than 2-3 days before the "my fee details" tab was added, then it can take a few days after that before anything comes on UCAS.

I really wouldn't bother contacting them.... its just a waiting game and at least you can be thankful that as international students you won't be waiting until spring to find out whether you have an offer. Edinburgh are notoriously slow with home student applications with some people finding out their decisions in April and early May. Given its just literally turned November the fact you've had any status update at all is somewhat of a miracle and contacting them isn't going to make it change any quicker.
Original post by mikeandikes
I guess I didn't mean language centre. I just meant if there were any self-study resources to learn languages on your own.

For example, the University of Exeter lets you take language modules as part of your degree, regardless of your degree course. They also have tandem.

And Oxford and Cambridge have language centres with self-study resources for free.

Edinburgh has Tandem as well. Also, in your first and second year you have to take outside courses, so you could study a language then.
Reply 58
Some people last year reported having a blank status for longer than 2-3 days before the "my fee details" tab was added, then it can take a few days after that before anything comes on UCAS.

Thank you for the helpful explanation.

Can you help point to the TSR threads with this discussion?
Reply 59
Original post by new123

Original post by new123
Thank you for the helpful explanation.

Can you help point to the TSR threads with this discussion?

Search for them yourself within this forum, it was in the 2011 applicants discussion thread.... but I think you've already said that you found these posts anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending