The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexmagpie
Sorry to intrude but I was wondering if someone here might be able to offer a little advice...
~~~~~~~~
The problem I'm having is not knowing whether this is real or not.

I would guess that questioning whether it is real or not signifies that it probably is. If it wasn't real, you wouldn't question it. I usually feel like this, then boooom back into depressive mode, then I'm fine and the cycle repeats.

I would go see a doctor.
Reply 3861
Original post by Rich_183
video

That video isn't going to get a good reception here, since it's completely ignorant and misleading.
Original post by moya
That video isn't going to get a good reception here, since it's completely ignorant and misleading.

You're right but this guy speaks the truth
Reply 3863
The guy isn't talking about depression he is talking about being unhappy. I have had things in my life that has made me unhappy, but I suffer from depression... If you have a logical reason to be feeling low then while you can be suffering from depression yes it can be fixed fairly easily, for a lot of people it isn't like that, for a lot of people they are no issues in there life that would logically cause them to feel that way.
eventually the feelings cleared up... and that spontaneous remission is what makes me think it wasn't a clinical problem.

spontaneous remission doesn't imply it wasn't clinical (whatsoever), just to make sure you know that
Original post by Rich_183
You're right but this guy speaks the truth

lols the problem becomes sharply obvious when he equates "depression and unhappiness" with "happy and excited" when the true equivalent is *mania* not happiness. if you understand the difference then you'll get why he's wrong.

i don't doubt that antidepressants are overprescribed and that much of the normal scope of human experience has been medicalised however.
Went to a gig last night and actually enjoyed myself for the first time in years. Forgot to take my meds though so I'm a bit... edgy at the moment. Little bit hungover too :colondollar:
Reply 3867
I wish my mum would hurry up and make a decision on what she's going to do with my dads ashes, I really am not fussed what but I feel it is needed for me to finally close the curtain on this whole affair and build my own life just like he would have wanted, having them in a cupboard in the house and knowing that at some point I am going to have to drag up all my emotions on the issue when we do whatever with them isn't good, I just want it done.

Spoiler

Reply 3868

Spoiler

Original post by ViceVersa
How are you holding up?

I've been doing ok the last couple of days, thanks for asking. Made it in to lectures 50% of this week, got prescribed propanalol for the anxiety and stuff that I was getting, and my GP's gonna chase up the psychiatrist to give me another appointment soon.

Be great if you could come to the meet up (although obiously we'd all understand if you can't afford it/can't come for other reasons).

Original post by Alofleicester
Sounds it :drool:, but I've still got 6 litres of my own brew left, and a kit to make 23 litres of Ale.
My own cider is dangerously tasting of apple juice though, so much that I've drank 11 litres in 11 days.

Apple juice is good for you. It contains vitamins, and counts as one of your five a day. :fyi: Drink more apple juice!

Original post by Sabertooth
And slightly destroying the vegetarian option. :teehee:

Vegetarian shouldn't even be an option!

Original post by Sultana
I'm sorry to just use this thread to put my own thoughts down, I know I haven't exactly been very helpful but I do hope everyone is doing ok :hugs:

I'm very scared atm. Meeting with the crisis team this morning resulted in agreeing to go into hospital 'just for a few days.' Really don't want to do this, but it seems pretty much the only option that results in me staying alive right now. So I'm now waiting for them to find me a bed and get back to me. I was told they call me around 1. Its now 4. I called them at 2 and they told me they'd call me back, they haven't. This waiting is killing me I'm imagining all sorts of bad things, and I'm not sure how much longer I can hold on for. Aaargh :frown:

Poor you. :frown: I've been in hospital too and, while it isn't fun, it does at least keep you safe while you get over the worst of things.

Stay strong, and good luck with feeling better/escaping from the clutches of the crisis team forever.

Original post by Unconventional.
Got my vitamin D tablets today; my GP told me to take them for a week before I go back to see him again. He said that it's possible that they may lift my mood seeing as the blood test showed a deficiency, but if it doesn't have that effect then he'd talk to me about therapies/anti-depressants when I next see him.

What do you think he will suggest if I am still struggling as much with my mood? I was assessed by a psych team about a year ago and I've been in and out of counselling over the last year and a half, none of which has really helped in the long-term.

Also, does anyone have suggestions to help me sleep? I've tried all sorts of basic sleep hygiene stuff, baths and avoiding caffeine etc. My mum bought me Kalms one-a-night tablets...it said to take one the first night, and if it had no effect to take two for the subsequent nights. It had no effect on the first night so last night I took two but still was wide awake for a very long time after going to bed and woke up frequently once I'd finally managed to fall asleep. I told my GP when I saw him on Friday but he said he wanted to deal with my mood first and that he was sure my sleep would improve once my mood did. I told a different GP a few weeks ago too who said that doctors don't usually prescribe things for sleep anymore and was just like "nobody ever died from lack of sleep,"...helpful. O.O

So yeah, any suggestions?!

I drink herbal tea when I'm going through one of my lack of sleep phases - I use this one, but other brands probably do a good job too. While it doesn't prevent insomnia completely, I've found that it can knock off a good half hour to an hour of waiting to get to sleep, and can also help you wake up less during the night if that's a problem. My dad who's been an insomniac for most of his life finds it helps too, and since it's fairly cheap I'd say it's definitely worth trying.

Original post by Anonymous
Hello, it's imbuzzinme here. I just wanted to let you know I won't be posting on this thread again. I've deleted all my posts here (for personal reasons). Just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck for the future and hope you all find a way to overcome your current issues. Thanks x

Aww, that's no fun. :frown: If it's for anon issues, maybe you could try making a new account?

Original post by Anonymous
I tried to take a better one, but can't find my camera so was using the webcam. They all came out blurry (and made it look like I have a giant mutant hand :eek: ).
Awesome! There will will also be a snooker room, yes? :awesome:

There will indeed be a snooker room, most likely adjacent to the bar. There will also be a bowling alley and swimming pool, and an assault course outside for Saber to use and pretend he's in the army. :mmm:

Original post by SeaJay
Writing things down is a really good idea - I've done something similar in the past, but mostly I write for my own catharsis.

I'm pretty much doing the "I'm fine" thing too :frown: Part of me wants to scream "I'm really not fine!!" but it wouldn't do any good and people would just avoid me more.

[rant] Was sat in the lounge earlier and was trying to explain Bi-polar disorder to my housemate as it came up on telly that someone's wife had it. He just said "I don't understand, why would he want to be married to someone who's nuts?" FFS. Apart from this statement he's a perfectly 'nice' guy - just shows how little many people with no mental health issues know. Meh. Left me feeling pretty rubbish. Grrr Arrrg. etc. [/rant]

Cos crazy people are better in bed. :sexface:

Sorry to intrude but I was wondering if someone here might be able to offer a little advice...

It's been going on for a while but I've only noticed it enough to be worried in the last two weeks or so. I keep crying for no real reason - tonight and last night I broke down on the phone to my boyfriend over the most insignificant things. I'm absolutely inconsolable when this happens, I just cry until my body can't keep it up really. I used to go out with my friends twice a week. Now I go out half that amount and if I really had my way it'd be once a fortnight or less I imagine - I go because I don't want to let people down or drift away from people. I just say I'm short of money, tired, ill, arguing with my boyfriend... I rarely fall asleep before 3am, but sleep very late if my lectures allow, and nap a lot. I'm not sure if that's a symptom or just my weird sleep pattern though.

I've been like this (often much worse) in the past, although I've never told a doctor or my family. That lasted years, and I was suicidal and occasionally self harming at its worst. I kicked the self harming before it got serious and eventually the feelings cleared up... and that spontaneous remission is what makes me think it wasn't a clinical problem. I spilled this to 'friends' while drunk last year and one of them later assured me that I was making it up for attention. I'm an anxious person, and have also experienced heart palpitations that my doctor put down to stress after not finding anything else abnormal.

The problem I'm having is not knowing whether this is real or not. I don't really remember how it felt when it was starting last time. I don't want to waste a doctors time, and I wonder what they could really do anyway. I'm in my first year, but it isn't homesickness and I don't want to be told that. My relationship is long distance and I originally attributed things to just missing him, but I'm not sure it can be solely that. He is incredibly supportive and the only one I've told about this so far.

Sorry for the essay... I guess I'm just wondering if you have any experiences that could help me. Thanks.

Yeah I'd see your doctor. If they do decide that you have anxiety or depression, there are things that can be done. You can get medication, which for some people can be really effective, which works particularly well in combination with therapy. CBT is currently the most popular talking therapy out there, and can be helpful with both depression and anxiety. The downside is that it does require effort and dedication, and the waiting lists are usually a few months long. You might also want to consider making use of a uni counselling service, which you can usually access faster.

Welcome to the society. :smile:
Thanks for all the replies, I'll look into seeing my doctor - it's just a bit awkward because I'm going home for Easter in two weeks, so I'd have to wait for any uni services anyway. It's an on-campus surgery, so I assume they can signpost me to whatever the university has available? I can always visit my doctor back home if it gets worse during the holidays, but unless they wanted to give me medication (which I know doesn't work immediately anyway) I'd probably be told to wait it out and see someone at uni.

When I finally got to sleep last night it didn't last - I was waking up every hour with a ball of anxiety in my stomach. I will try the herbal tea idea, thank you.
Reply 3871
Original post by superwolf

Cos crazy people are better in bed. :sexface:

Dammit! I should have said that.

Seriously - you just made me laugh - no one has done that for a while :smile: Thank you! :colondollar:
accidentally told the HTT that they were old

Apple juice is good for you. It contains vitamins, and counts as one of your five a day. :fyi: Drink more apple juice!

It is, but I think my special apple juice probably isn't that good for my liver.

Meanwhile, my counselling appointment this morning was cancelled by the service, and re-arranged for the same time next week.
Original post by littleshambles
accidentally told the HTT that they were old

The last time I saw one of them i called the CPN a hippy. Which he was. I think insulting them is part of the therapeutic process, tbh I haven't discovered a use for them beyond someone to be angry at.
Original post by bullettheory
The last time I saw one of them i called the CPN a hippy. Which he was. I think insulting them is part of the therapeutic process, tbh I haven't discovered a use for them beyond someone to be angry at.

i find the main guy sooooooo annoying, he just mumbles nonsense tbh and i can't understand half the things he says. they instantly piss me off when i see them. even though logically i know they are just trying to follow me up i don't see why they have to come to see me EVERY day (for like 5 mins, how is that even helpful?!). like the only thing ACTUALLY making me ill is the tablets (although on the plus side they haven't been that awful for me today and i'm cleaning my room up and shizzle). i don't see what is so bad that they have to come every day? i also like how they're all like omg omg omg medicine even though there could conceivably be nothing wrong with me. like shouldn't you NOT unnecessarily medicate people? and they are soooo slow to understand stuff. sometimes they don't even read notes before they turn up. i'm fine anyway. and they are going on about benefits and ESA and going oh go down to the job centre argh argh. i have THINGZ TO DO. eff eff ess.
CPN called and I finally answered her. She kept going on about respite and I said I didn't want to go. She said that if I continue self harming then they're going to force me to go. She asked whether I'd self harmed since Monday and I said I hadn't, which is a lie but I really don't want to go to respite.
Original post by Alofleicester
It is, but I think my special apple juice probably isn't that good for my liver.

Meanwhile, my counselling appointment this morning was cancelled by the service, and re-arranged for the same time next week.

Your liver is young, and should still be able to take years and years of abuse. Mines even survived unscathed after living in Russia for a year, so a little bit of apple juice here and there should be fine. :yep:

That's annoying. If they mess you around again you should unleash a plague of frogs on them, or something equally inconvenient.

Original post by 35mm_
CPN called and I finally answered her. She kept going on about respite and I said I didn't want to go. She said that if I continue self harming then they're going to force me to go. She asked whether I'd self harmed since Monday and I said I hadn't, which is a lie but I really don't want to go to respite.

I don't see how she expects you to tell her the truth when she's threatening to have you locked up if you're honest. :s-smilie: Is there someone else who's more sympathetic that you can talk things through with, like a psychiatrist?

I don't see how she expects you to tell her the truth when she's threatening to have you locked up if you're honest. :s-smilie: Is there someone else who's more sympathetic that you can talk things through with, like a psychiatrist?

I had my appointment with my psychiatrist on Monday and my CPN turned up too. They both want me to go into respite for a while. My next appointment is Thursday so I'm going to pretend everything is fine and convince them I don't need to go. She said they're on the verge of sectioning me, so one more slip up and that's it. My CPN is a waste of space; when she looked at my arm on Monday she looked so disgusted. #rant
Your liver is young, and should still be able to take years and years of abuse. Mines even survived unscathed after living in Russia for a year, so a little bit of apple juice here and there should be fine. :yep:

That's annoying. If they mess you around again you should unleash a plague of frogs on them, or something equally inconvenient.

stop ****ing promoting alcoholism, seriously.

imagine there being people with alcohol problems in the depression society! IMAGINE.