The Student Room Group

Architectural Association 2012

hi, i'm an international applicant.

i was just wondering if anyone is applying to AA this september?
has anyone heard from them?

ps: i was just wondering, how hard is it to get into AA? need to hear some opinion esp from the current students. many thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i have already finished my bsc in architecture last year and currently on a one-year contract working in an architecture firm, which ends this august. so im applying to diploma school (year 4)

but i think they might put me in year 3 bcoz my program is not recognize by RIBA (im an oversea graduate) but i dont really mind being put in year 3 coz it'll give me time to adjust
Reply 2
Interview March 14.
Reply 3
Original post by bobanie
Interview March 14.

when did u apply? :smile:
Reply 4
In early January. Before the deadline. You?
Reply 5
Studying at AA is really expensive, how do u guys finance the tuition fees?
Reply 6
Original post by bobanie
In early January. Before the deadline. You?

Are you applying for a Diploma school?

I'm preparing my folio to the AA too, the deadline is March 26 and i'm freaking out right now.

As stated on the AA's website that applications after the deadline will be accepted at the discretion of the school ..and how common is it that people will get accepted after the deadlines. Does any one know ?

Lastly , ss an interview required for int' student ?
Reply 7
a friend of mine was accepted eventho he applied late.

i think the interview is required but they'll give a skype interview option for international student
Reply 8
I'm applying for First Year. Fingers crossed. It is definitely my first choice!
Reply 9
Original post by mizx
a friend of mine was accepted eventho he applied late.

i think the interview is required but they'll give a skype interview option for international student

Mizx , do you know any other part II courses in London that still offer places until say April-May.

I wont accept the third year offer from the AA ....and just want to weigh up my options.

Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by ttarch
Mizx , do you know any other part II courses in London that still offer places until say April-May.

I wont accept the third year offer from the AA ....and just want to weigh up my options.

Thanks

have you tried UCL bartlett? they accept students without RIBA and they accept applications until august.
Reply 11
Original post by bobanie
I'm applying for First Year. Fingers crossed. It is definitely my first choice!

Hi! I'm applying for First Year as well :smile: mine is on 30 april. I've no idea what to expect haha
Reply 12
Original post by mizx
have you tried UCL bartlett? they accept students without RIBA and they accept applications until august.

Forgot to mention that i do know UCL dont have a cut-off date but at the moment i dont think my folio is up to the standard yet.... probably worth a try though

My guts feeling says i would have more chance at the AA.. but i'm afraid they might not offer me a Diploma.

I do have RIBA part I , so it's kinda waste time and money really to repeat the whole year again.

Thanks for your response
Reply 13
Original post by ttarch
Forgot to mention that i do know UCL dont have a cut-off date but at the moment i dont think my folio is up to the standard yet.... probably worth a try though

My guts feeling says i would have more chance at the AA.. but i'm afraid they might not offer me a Diploma.

I do have RIBA part I , so it's kinda waste time and money really to repeat the whole year again.

Thanks for your response

well if you have riba part 1 then i guess there's nothing to be worried about then
Reply 14
hey! when did you hear about your interviews? i applied for first year just before the january deadline, and haven't heard anything yet. i have offers from cambridge, westminster and central saint martins. also, do you know anything about the amount of bursaries/scholarships? it's pretty damn expensive to study there, and i'm not sure i could afford it without their help
Reply 15
You should definitely contact them if you applied before the January deadline. Did you send a hard copy portfolio? I heard from them in early February confirming that my file was complete and then in late February telling me that I had been selected for an interview, inviting me to choose a date. I had my interview yesterday.

But again, if you need financing and have been accepted to these other fabulous schools, why bother??
Reply 16
ok, thanks, i emailed them!
how was your interview?
mainly because of the reputation of aa, and for the atmosphere of the school (i visited them in december), but i guess it wouldn't be that much of a problem if i didn't get in.
Reply 17
Original post by bobanie
You should definitely contact them if you applied before the January deadline. Did you send a hard copy portfolio? I heard from them in early February confirming that my file was complete and then in late February telling me that I had been selected for an interview, inviting me to choose a date. I had my interview yesterday.

But again, if you need financing and have been accepted to these other fabulous schools, why bother??

which year did you apply to? are u UK applicant or international?
Reply 18
I was pleased with the interview. Mostly we talked about my portfolio. Everyone was very nice. It is my absolute first choice.

I am applying for First Year. EU applicant. (But that doesn't matter to AA.)
Reply 19
Original post by bobanie
I was pleased with the interview. Mostly we talked about my portfolio. Everyone was very nice. It is my absolute first choice.

I am applying for First Year. EU applicant. (But that doesn't matter to AA.)

congrats on your interview :smile: what did you bring down for the interview besides your portfolio?

Quick Reply

Latest