The Student Room Group

Standard Grade French!

Yo,

Just thought id start a thread for french,

I have abs no idea how to study?

Its not on my priority list but I do want to pass.

Any contribution appreciated.

Adil.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Same. I couldn't give a monkeys about it :tongue:

Reading is peasy, I mean you get a dictionary!? It's impossible to fail (I hope!)
Listening - if you don't understand, BS it. Chances are you'll get some sort of mark if you understand a word/phrase that's said. I've gotten quite a lot of marks from guesswork in the past :colondollar:

Revision - past papers, both reading and listening. Night before exam ask someone to read out words in your key vocab book (in a french accent of course...:tongue:) and ask you what they mean, so that you recognise the key words in the exam.

Good luck to everyone else sitting it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mrsnicket
Same. I couldn't give a monkeys about it :tongue:

Reading is peasy, I mean you get a dictionary!? It's impossible to fail (I hope!)
Listening - if you don't understand, BS it. Chances are you'll get some sort of mark if you understand a word/phrase that's said. I've gotten quite a lot of marks from guesswork in the past :colondollar:

Revision - past papers, both reading and listening. Night before exam ask someone to read out words in your key vocab book (in a french accent of course...:tongue:) and ask you what they mean, so that you recognise the key words in the exam.

Good luck to everyone else sitting it :smile:

We have the metro french book for vocab

I might just do pastpapers and read over it.

I find listening hard hahah!
Reply 3
There really isn't much you can do for it.

I'm just reading over vocab and doing past papers, it's really quite easy.

I agree with mrsnicket about the reading and listening. I don't really understand how people can fail it.
Although listening can occasionaly be dodgy, purely because the person speaking has:
1) A lisp
2) speaks really fast
3)Really high-pitched voice

Are any of you taking it next year?
Reply 4
Higher French and Higher Spanish next year, the joys.

I find a good way to make sure the listening goes well is to just listen to a few audio clips of the actual exam without doing the paper, just to get your ears tuned in.

I never used to be good at French, failed my S3 Credit Reading exam but now getting clear 1's in reading and listening so hopefully the exam shall go well next week :smile:.
Don't worry about the exam!
Reading shouldn't be too difficult at all, as you're given a dictionary.
If you feel like it, you can revise vocab for listening!
You'll be fine!
I got a 1 for my speakings and writings so thats 50% of my grade already so all i need to get in the exam is a 2 for both things which isn't too difficult. I recommend learning vocabulary first because there is no point in trying to do a listening and understanding barely any of it. My teachers said learning french verbs is the most important though. Good luck everyone anyway :P
Reply 7
Thanks people!
Reply 8
I sat SG French last year and came out with close to 100% in the final exam so I thought maybe I could help a bit :wink:

1) the same things always, always come up in the Listenings. it may be a slightly different situation each year, but (for example) when you get questions such as "why do they want to go here?" the answer is always something to do with it being free/seeing their friends etc.
2) try watching a french film/listening to french tv the day before the exam. it means you get used to hearing and trying to translate french at a faster pace and the language will be more complicated so the exam will seem easier!
3) with reading, if there's a strange phrase that doesn't completely make sense, write it out literally not in the answer bit then try and rephrase it in the context of the article
4) also in reading, if you get stuck don't just guess and move on, definitely leave it and then come back to it because as you continue through the paper you can get more used to the phrasing and language used

good luck! :smile: I hope I helped aha
Reply 9
How did you find out that you got close to 100%?
I thought they didn't give you back percentages for standard grade :confused:
Reply 10
Original post by -Neuro-
How did you find out that you got close to 100%?
I thought they didn't give you back percentages for standard grade :confused:

they don't, but after the exam I was curious and asked my teacher if I could fill in one of the extra left over exam papers with my exact answers for all the questions I could remember, she then kept them in her drawer and after the mark schemes were released I went over it to see what I got :colondollar: just genuine nerdiness to be fair
Reply 11
Original post by rawragee
they don't, but after the exam I was curious and asked my teacher if I could fill in one of the extra left over exam papers with my exact answers for all the questions I could remember, she then kept them in her drawer and after the mark schemes were released I went over it to see what I got :colondollar: just genuine nerdiness to be fair

Crap sorry didnt mean to click neg, sorry !!

That comment made me smile !
Reply 12
S'fine, I repped her to make it even :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by Aay
Crap sorry didnt mean to click neg, sorry !!

That comment made me smile !

S'fine, I repped her to make it even :tongue:

aha thanks guys :wink: good luck for French! (whenever it is, I'm not sure) :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by rawragee
aha thanks guys :wink: good luck for French! (whenever it is, I'm not sure) :biggrin:

Its on thursday!

Ive been at pastpapers all day..:mad:
Reply 15
Original post by nerd434
I had a look at the 2010 and 2011 SQA Grade Boundaries and you only need 10/26 to get a 2 in the Credit Listening. That's 38%..

I'm still going to aim for a 1 :smartass:

No way!?
Btw guys does anyone know how they get your overall grade? Like do you double a grade and then add it all up and divide it by 4 or something...?

Btw guys does anyone know how they get your overall grade? Like do you double a grade and then add it all up and divide it by 4 or something...?

Basically your grade is in 1/6's Reading is 2/6 listening is 1/6 speaking is 2/6 and writing is 1/6 of your grade.
Reply 17
Original post by SneakyDoug
Basically your grade is in 1/6's Reading is 2/6 listening is 1/6 speaking is 2/6 and writing is 1/6 of your grade.

Does this mean I have to revise for reading? Dammit...:sigh: haha cheers mate!
Haha i guess so, but i find reading easier than listening - they are pretty damn hard!
Reply 19
Doing higher this year! Last year I found it really helpful to know the little words and phrases often needed for that extra mark eg. Avoir besoin de, tot, tard, tres, plutard, habitude, hier etc!

And I'm not sure if this is just for higher but we have been told that the SQA no longer accept 8 days for "huit jours" or 15 days for "quinze jours" WEEK AND FORTNIGHT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending