The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Unit 1 Exam, June 12th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Unofficial mark scheme anybodyyyy
Original post by ClarkyC...
It was 800 and Sumet but I can't remember

I got 860 for the second calculation question. Which appeared to be right if you look at how much each bar increases.
Original post by Sheel1
Zambia? I thought its mozambiqiue

Definitely Zambia, it was the country with their number of people suffering closest to their population.
Reply 43
Some answers:

- Zambia
- 18.1%
- Incorrect proportions of each food type
- Irregular periods and stunted growth
- Genetic variation, sexual reproduction, different characteristics/taste
- Cuttings
- Take cuttings, replant, asexual reproduction, no genetic variation, same characteristics/taste
- 3.8 million years
- Too few mice, different bodily systems, 2 months too short time frame, no repeats
- Deforestation, less photosynthesis, more CO2 present, combustion, more CO2 and sulfur dioxide/nitrogen oxides, more greenhouse gases, global warming worsens

Sorry they're not numbered or in order, just a few answers to see if you were right.

:smile:
Original post by TW2112
Some answers:

- Zambia
- 18.1%
- Incorrect proportions of each food type
- Irregular periods and stunted growth
- Genetic variation, sexual reproduction, different characteristics/taste
- Cuttings
- Take cuttings, replant, asexual reproduction, no genetic variation, same characteristics/taste
- 3.8 million years
- Too few mice, different bodily systems, 2 months too short time frame, no repeats
- Deforestation, less photosynthesis, more CO2 present, combustion, more CO2 and sulfur dioxide/nitrogen oxides, more greenhouse gases, global warming worsens

Sorry they're not numbered or in order, just a few answers to see if you were right.

:smile:

Is tissue culture okay?
I wrote 4million years for some reason, I didn't know you had to be specific lol?
I said that mice different to humans, 6 cups full of caffeine unrealistic and then something else?
Reply 45
Original post by ClarkyC...
Is tissue culture okay?
I wrote 4million years for some reason, I didn't know you had to be specific lol?
I said that mice different to humans, 6 cups full of caffeine unrealistic and then something else?

1. Tissue culture (1)
2. It was quite misleading, but there'll be a range (1)
3. Mice testing (3) [as long as your "something else" was alright] :wink:

So yeah, all fine.
For the first question did anyone else do:

Test with placebo - Prove the drug works

Test in small doses - make sure it is not toxic

Test on animals - first section of the trial
Original post by vandanparmar
For the first question did anyone else do:

Test with placebo - Prove the drug works

Test in small doses - make sure it is not toxic

Test on animals - first section of the trial

There was a ratio of 3:4 were you meant to draw all four lines on because I did haha

I did animals = first section and to make sure it's not toxic
Small doses = test for effects
Test with placebo = see if it works for patients

I'm not sure about that toxic one because even if you give it to somebody in small doses toxic can harm them so you would think you would give it to animals
Here's my unofficial mark scheme. Correct me if I am wrong, tell me if there are other answers.

1) Match the stages to the definitions?
-Animal testing for toxicity/Trial testing in humans is the first clinical stage/Test on patients to find optimum dose (3).

2) Why was the headline unjustified?
-Tested on mice not humans/6 doses of caffeine used, not one/small sample size of only 50 (3).

3a) Australopithecus afarensis has been around for?
-3.7/3.8 million years (1)
3b) Ancestor of Paranthropus bosei?
-Paranthropus aethiopithicus (1)
3c) Closest relative of homo habilis?
- Homo ergaster (1)
3d) Why might scientists disagree that chinese people descended from homo erectus?
-Diagram shows that homo erectus had no descendant species/Modern humans all descend from Homo heidelbergensis/Homo erectus fossils found elsewhere, not just in China. (2)
3e) Why did Darwin have trouble convincing scientists about his theory of evolution?
- No evidence yet for genetics or DNA/Religious objections to the fact we were not created by God (2).

4a) What is malnourishment?
- Imbalance of nutrition/unbalanced diet/lacking certain minerals (1).
4b) Name some effects of malnutrition?
-Weakened immune system/irregular periods/named deficiency disease - eg. scurvy (2).
4c) Country with the highest proportion of people with insufficient food.
-Zambia (1)
4d) Effects of not having enough food?
- Muscle wastage/irregular periods/weakened immune system/flaky skin and thin hair (2).

5) Why does the lionfish population boom?
-Alien species/no natural predators evolved alongside/little competition/no limitation of numbers/feed off plentiful native fish/high survival rate of young (3).

6a) Why should the woman have babies in her mid 20s and not late 30s?
- Chance of getting pregnant falls from 78% to 46%/Chance of infertility rises from 5% to 20% (2).
6b) Name two hormones used in fertility treatment.
- FSH and LH (2).
6c) Sperm and eggs are mixed in IVF. Describe remaining stages.
- Embryo allowed to divide/two or three healthy embryos chosen/transferred back into the mother's womb. (2)

7a) Why do apples taste different from their parents?
- Recombination of genes/different characteristics expressed causing different taste/natural mutations (2).
7b) How could the same taste be produced?
- Tissue cloning/take a cutting/planting a shoot from the same plant (1).
7c) Explain why this has the same taste.
- Genetically identical to parent/Same characteristics expressed so same taste (2).

8a) Calculate the percentage increase in people catching the antibiotic resistant bacteria.
- 18.06%/18.1% (2).
8b) Explain in terms of natural selection why the bacteria spread more.
- Natural mutation/Causes resistance in bacteria/to antibiotics/less affected by antibiotics, so harder to treat/spreads more easily (3).

9a) Average increase in palm oil tree growth
- 860 per year. (2)
9b) Explain why the components of the atmosphere change as forests are cleared to plant palm oil trees.
- Original forests locked up carbon/via photosynthesis./Palm oil also takes in carbon dioxide but is released again when burnt in motor vehicles/net effect is that no extra CO2 taken in with palm trees/but forests have been cut down, so net effect is increased carbon dioxide in the air. Possible mention of sulphur dioxide and other pollutants from exhausts(5)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Hi i guys, i think i did the same exm as you did but my questions are different to what you are all talking about.... Was this exam the question with the zebra fish? thanks
Reply 50
Original post by R.P.Everything.
Here's my unofficial mark scheme. Correct me if I am wrong, tell me if there are other answers, and I'm still missing a 1 mark question somewhere in here.

1) Match the stages to the definitions?
-Animal testing for toxicity/Trial testing in humans is the first clinical stage/Test on patients to find optimum dose (3).

2) Why was the headline unjustified?
-Tested on mice not humans/6 doses of caffeine used, not one/small sample size of only 50 (3).

3a) Australopithecus afarensis has been around for?
-3.3 million years (1)
3b) Ancestor of Paranthropus bosei?
-Paranthropus aethiopithicus (1)
3c) Why might scientists disagree that chinese people descended from homo erectus?
-Diagram shows that homo erectus had no descendant species/Modern humans all descend from Homo heidelbergensis/Homo erectus fossils found elsewhere, not just in China. (2)
3d) Why did Darwin have trouble convincing scientists about his theory of evolution?
- No evidence yet for genetics or DNA/Religious objections to the fact we were not created by God (2).

4a) What is malnourishment?
- Imbalance of nutrition/unbalanced diet/lacking certain minerals (1).
4b) Name some effects of malnutrition?
-Weakened immune system/irregular periods/named deficiency disease - eg. scurvy (2).
4c) Country with the highest proportion of people with insufficient food.
-Zambia (1)
4d) Effects of not having enough food?
- Muscle wastage/irregular periods/weakened immune system/flaky skin and thin hair (2).

5) Why does the lionfish population boom?
-Alien species/no natural predators evolved alongside/little competition/no limitation of numbers/feed off plentiful native fish/high survival rate of young (3).

6a) Why should the woman have babies in her mid 20s and not late 30s?
- Chance of getting pregnant falls from 78% to 46%/Chance of infertility rises from 5% to 20% (2).
6b) Name two hormones used in fertility treatment.
- FSH and LH (2).
6c) Sperm and eggs are mixed in IVF. Describe remaining stages.
- Embryo allowed to divide/two or three healthy embryos chosen/transferred back into the mother's womb. (2)

7a) Why do apples taste different from their parents?
- Recombination of genes/different characteristics expressed causing different taste/natural mutations (2).
7b) How could the same taste be produced?
- Tissue cloning/take a cutting/planting a shoot from the same plant (1).
7c) Explain why this has the same taste.
- Genetically identical to parent/Same characteristics expressed so same taste (2).

8a) Calculate the percentage increase in people catching the antibiotic resistant bacteria.
- 18.06%/18.1% (2).
8b) Explain in terms of natural selection why the bacteria spread more.
- Natural mutation/Causes resistance in bacteria/to antibiotics/less affected by antibiotics, so harder to treat/spreads more easily (3).

9a) Average increase in palm oil tree growth
- 860 per year. (2)
9b) Explain why the components of the atmosphere change as forests are cleared to plant palm oil trees.
- Original forests locked up carbon/via photosynthesis./Palm oil also takes in carbon dioxide but is released again when burnt in motor vehicles/net effect is that no extra CO2 taken in with palm trees/but forests have been cut down, so net effect is increased carbon dioxide in the air. Possible mention of sulphur dioxide and other pollutants from exhausts(5)

3. a) 3.8 million years

I think you missed a mark on Q3 as, Another one about who is the closest relative of one of them.
Reply 51
3. a) 3.8 million years

I think you missed a mark on Q3, Another one about who is the closest relative of one of them.*

Ignore the 'as' on the above post.
Reply 52
I revised for the wrong paper:confused: so alot of the questions i didn't know :frown: for example the Mal nourished or w/e question
Reply 53
Original post by Blazinq
I revised for the wrong paper:confused: so alot of the questions i didn't know :frown: for example the Mal nourished or w/e question

The malnourishment one has never come up before from what I can remember of the past papers. It's just them expecting some common sense and a bit of similar prior knowledge.
Reply 54
Original post by Aidanb90
The malnourishment one has never come up before from what I can remember of the past papers. It's just them expecting some common sense and a bit of similar prior knowledge.

If i've never been taught it, then i won't know what it is.
Reply 55
Original post by Blazinq
If i've never been taught it, then i won't know what it is.

Yeah it was pretty stupid I don't think I got much or it right.
Original post by Aidanb90
3. a) 3.8 million years

I think you missed a mark on Q3 as, Another one about who is the closest relative of one of them.

Thanks, I added the closest relative answer on.

Are you sure it was 3.8 million for 3a? If a few more people confirm it, then I'll put that answer on. It may be me, I can't remember whether it is when Australopithecus first appeared, or last appeared.
Guys D; I did a foundation this morning.
It involved alot of diet, and at the start it had a picture of a baby and you had to label the light receptors etc. Other questions consists of the mammoth why it didn't decay. Talked alot about Drug X was too expensive that it was best to use Drug A and B
Reply 58
That last calculation was 880 because it was 6200-1800 = 4400 then you divide it by the 5 years which is 880, not 860?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
is there a foundation unofficial mark scheme for the biology unit 1 exam today? really wana check what i might have got and i cant find foundation anywhere only higher :frown: anyone help me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest