The Student Room Group

Questionssss about Pharmacy course and the future (especially HK)

Hi guys,

I am planning to study pharmacy in Uni, but still haven't decide which uni yet. I looked at many of the requirments and they said AAB, with chemistry + 1 science (phy, bio, maths)

1.will it be okay if I do Maths Chem and Econ for my A2, as I am planning to drop Physics??

2. when should I apply for the course? I heard that if one is planning to do medicine/ go to oxbridge, they need to apply early, is it same for Pharmacy?

3. Do the choice of uni matter when you are trying to get a job? I read somewhere that it doesn't, but somewhere that it does. I'm confused:frown:

4. What summer job/voluntary work should I do over the summer to give me a higher chance on a successful application on the course?

5. Will the pharmacy market be saturated by the time I finish my course (in 5-7 years, depending on which course I choose), that I may be better off studying other stuff, like economics, financial etc. ?

thanks in advance, I know that's shed-loads of question, I appreciate any help.

THanks
Reply 1
Original post by WhatUni
Hi guys,

I am planning to study pharmacy in Uni, but still haven't decide which uni yet. I looked at many of the requirments and they said AAB, with chemistry + 1 science (phy, bio, maths)

1.will it be okay if I do Maths Chem and Econ for my A2, as I am planning to drop Physics??

2. when should I apply for the course? I heard that if one is planning to do medicine/ go to oxbridge, they need to apply early, is it same for Pharmacy?

3. Do the choice of uni matter when you are trying to get a job? I read somewhere that it doesn't, but somewhere that it does. I'm confused:frown:

4. What summer job/voluntary work should I do over the summer to give me a higher chance on a successful application on the course?

5. Will the pharmacy market be saturated by the time I finish my course (in 5-7 years, depending on which course I choose), that I may be better off studying other stuff, like economics, financial etc. ?

thanks in advance, I know that's shed-loads of question, I appreciate any help.

THanks

1. Yeah that's fine, you may have to do a bit of extra work in the first year to catch up with people who did biology, but I wouldn't worry about that.

2. You don't need to apply early, there isn't an early deadline like for medicine, but it definitely helps. I would suggest applying by December, earlier if possible.

3. No, all of the courses are equal, choose where you like the look of most.

4. I did one week in a local community pharmacy. Ring up and ask if they could possibly let you do work experieince, you might have to ask a few (I had to ring about ten places) but it's worth it, it gives you something to talk about at interviews and shows your commitment. You could also try to get experience in a hospital, tho this is harder.

5. It's a possibility, I don't think anyone knows for sure. I'd say, if you want to do it then go for it, but if you're just in it for job security/money then think twice.
Reply 2
thanks.
aawhen you say I should choose by the look I like most, I assume you mean the facilities, environment of the uni??

thanks again for taking the time to answer the questions
you are reminded to keep up-to-date to visa policy. esp abt the post-grad visa for the pre-reg year. nth is more important than that.

http://www.rpharms.com/what-s-happening-/news_show.asp?id=541&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+rps_latest_news+(Royal+Pharmaceutical+Society+latest+news)

Catherine added: “We are not intending that this scheme should support future cohorts of overseas students, as these students will be aware of the new UK Border Agency (UKBA) rules before deciding to study in the UK. Under the proposed scheme UKBA rules are clear that following completion of their pre-registration year overseas pharmacy graduates will be required to return to their home country and they will not be able to use this scheme to remain in the UK and practice as a pharmacist.“ <<<< !!!!!!!
Reply 4
Original post by bb_cindy_tong
you are reminded to keep up-to-date to visa policy. esp abt the post-grad visa for the pre-reg year. nth is more important than that.

http://www.rpharms.com/what-s-happening-/news_show.asp?id=541&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+rps_latest_news+(Royal+Pharmaceutical+Society+latest+news)

Catherine added: “We are not intending that this scheme should support future cohorts of overseas students, as these students will be aware of the new UK Border Agency (UKBA) rules before deciding to study in the UK. Under the proposed scheme UKBA rules are clear that following completion of their pre-registration year overseas pharmacy graduates will be required to return to their home country and they will not be able to use this scheme to remain in the UK and practice as a pharmacist.“ <<<< !!!!!!!

thank you very much.
will keep up to date on that :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by WhatUni
thanks.
aawhen you say I should choose by the look I like most, I assume you mean the facilities, environment of the uni??

thanks again for taking the time to answer the questions

Yeah, I advise you go to open days, they give you loads of information and give you an idea of what it's like. Take into account things like: how far you want to be from home (if at all), whether you like the campus/department, how friendly they are, bursaries, what kinda labs they have, connections with industry...

No worries, I recently applied for Nottingham, now I've just got to get the grades!
Reply 6
Original post by Thompson93
Yeah, I advise you go to open days, they give you loads of information and give you an idea of what it's like. Take into account things like: how far you want to be from home (if at all), whether you like the campus/department, how friendly they are, bursaries, what kinda labs they have, connections with industry...

No worries, I recently applied for Nottingham, now I've just got to get the grades!

thanks
I am oversea student, so location doesn't really matter (unless it is in a small village)
and
good luck to you
1. The minimum requirements when I applied a few years ago were a B in Chemistry and a C in one other science subject. I would therefore check the UCAS Course Search description for different courses and determine whether you will need to keep a second science subject (i.e Physics). I am unsure whether Maths counts. Failing concrete evidence from the UCAS website, I recommend you contact some school of pharmacy admissions tutors.

2. Medicine and Dentistry has a deadline of October (or used to...?). Pharmacy has the usual deadline of January (again, this used to be the deadline.. not sure if this has changed?). As a result, you can apply up until the usual UCAS deadline but I would strongly recommend applying as soon as possible. Gather as much information as you can for the UCAS process prior to the applications opening (work experience, personal details, passport numbers etc... you can even begin drafting a personal statement over the summer).

3. The playing field for pharmacy is pretty much level these days as there are no clear-cut schools which stand out above the rest. However, in my opinion, degrees from UEA, Aston, London SoP etc (and, no doubt, Durham once it settles in) will be more desirable.

4. I would recommend producing a CV and handing them into local community pharmacies. There are many pharmacists who will be willing to introduce you into the profession with a week or two in their pharmacy. Ask and you shall receive. Obtaining at least a week in a community pharmacy will boost your chances considerably.

5. All jobs in the current economic climate are saturated. So, in a word, yes... pharmacy will be saturated by the time you graduate. However, that doesn't mean you will become one of those disappointed pharmacists posting doom-and-gloom threads on forums like this one. If you excel and prove yourself a good enough candidate, there will always be a job for you. Pharmacy is still a thriving business in this country and around the world - every pharmacy needs a pharmacist. Therefore, there will always be jobs. It is just a matter of being good enough to get those jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending