The Student Room Group

Engineering foundation year

Hi everyone. I currently do Physics, Chemistry, Design Technology and ICT.
I will start a2 in september. I really want to do engineering, so i will have to do a foundation year to meet their requirements as i dont have maths.
Is it best to do AS maths in A2 and drop ICT whilst doing my other 3 a levels or is it best to drop ict and focus only on the 3 a levels to get the best possible marks?
And what if i apply to bad university because of what i get in AS exams an predicted grades, but end up with good grades when i finish A2 as universities will accept my predicted a2 grades and actual as grades which is not fair because i can do alot better in A2...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I have the same problem as you, i only took physics and not maths and need to know if i have to do a foundation year.
I don't really like the sound of it as it will take a year longer which means even more debt :/ think i might apply for some engineering courses and foundation courses as a back up in case they don't accept me for a normal course :biggrin:
Reply 2
Ive madeup my mind and i can give you advice.
I asked my teacher if i can do AS-LEVEL Maths whilst doing A2 subjects next year, he couldnt accept me becausemy subjects clashed. Meaning that i would have lessons that are on the same time, which is a disaster. Plus foundation year is EXACTLY for students like us. It is a very good year to work hard and learb the key maths, if you research all universities talking about foundation year ; e.g. Southampton, they will say the foundation year will give you everything you will need to get ready for university providing that you work hard and have passion for it(just like any other job in life). The foundation year is specially for people who dont have the right a level grades for the course that they so passionately want. I say passiobately because that will keep you climb up the ladder as you get older, so make sure you choosr the right career for you, only YOU choose, not anybody else, you want to get it RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. so Just focus ONLY on you current subjects, make sure you do your best for them subjects, an dont get confused with universities i know its normal to think so but at the end of the day your GRADES are most important. Im going to make sure i study as much as i can because we dont get too many chances like a levels. Sorry for my long message, i just care alot for people like you because i was in your situation, my advice is (this is very important abd meaningful);
1.never give up(even if you repeat same mistakea 1million times you musr jump back, its workes for my mum)
2.ALWAYS believe in yourself(i didnt believe in myself when i was gonna do science exam so i got a U. Beleived next time and got an A.
3. Do a foundation year(if You think its right for you)
4. If you want to be an engineer, do practise alot of gcse and AS maths only, so that foundation year ia easier or less fustrating for you, and obviously its all about improving your maths which is good. Dont worry were very young, never late to choose, goodluck

Reply 3
A Level physics quite simply doesn't have all the required skills in it to start doing engineering. Whilst the mechanics of how things work and various concepts are explained, the language of physics is mathematics. If you haven't done mathemetics to A2, then your first year of engineering will be very, very difficult. I'd go so far as to say that if you haven't done further maths to AS, you're going to find it pretty difficult. First year engineers do the maths that 2nd year mathematics students do, at least at the university I went to (top 10)

Hence, there exists the foundation year. It's good in that it brings everyone up to the required standard, you get the early view of university life and how it differs from school/6th form/college, and above all, it can show you if you're really ready to study a degree as hard as engineering at university. Make no mistake, because studying engineering is one of the hardest courses on offer at any university - we had 10% of our course quit by Christmas in the first year because it wasn't what they thought it would be.

Stu Haynes MEng
Reply 4
Original post by Amirindo
Hi everyone. I currently do Physics, Chemistry, Design Technology and ICT.
I will start a2 in september. I really want to do engineering, so i will have to do a foundation year to meet their requirements as i dont have maths.
Is it best to do AS maths in A2 and drop ICT whilst doing my other 3 a levels or is it best to drop ict and focus only on the 3 a levels to get the best possible marks?
And what if i apply to bad university because of what i get in AS exams an predicted grades, but end up with good grades when i finish A2 as universities will accept my predicted a2 grades and actual as grades which is not fair because i can do alot better in A2...

Original post by matty1794
I have the same problem as you, i only took physics and not maths and need to know if i have to do a foundation year.
I don't really like the sound of it as it will take a year longer which means even more debt :/ think i might apply for some engineering courses and foundation courses as a back up in case they don't accept me for a normal course :biggrin:

Original post by Amirindo
Ive madeup my mind and i can give you advice.
I asked my teacher if i can do AS-LEVEL Maths whilst doing A2 subjects next year, he couldnt accept me becausemy subjects clashed. Meaning that i would have lessons that are on the same time, which is a disaster. Plus foundation year is EXACTLY for students like us. It is a very good year to work hard and learb the key maths, if you research all universities talking about foundation year ; e.g. Southampton, they will say the foundation year will give you everything you will need to get ready for university providing that you work hard and have passion for it(just like any other job in life). The foundation year is specially for people who dont have the right a level grades for the course that they so passionately want. I say passiobately because that will keep you climb up the ladder as you get older, so make sure you choosr the right career for you, only YOU choose, not anybody else, you want to get it RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. so Just focus ONLY on you current subjects, make sure you do your best for them subjects, an dont get confused with universities i know its normal to think so but at the end of the day your GRADES are most important. Im going to make sure i study as much as i can because we dont get too many chances like a levels. Sorry for my long message, i just care alot for people like you because i was in your situation, my advice is (this is very important abd meaningful);
1.never give up(even if you repeat same mistakea 1million times you musr jump back, its workes for my mum)
2.ALWAYS believe in yourself(i didnt believe in myself when i was gonna do science exam so i got a U. Beleived next time and got an A.
3. Do a foundation year(if You think its right for you)
4. If you want to be an engineer, do practise alot of gcse and AS maths only, so that foundation year ia easier or less fustrating for you, and obviously its all about improving your maths which is good. Dont worry were very young, never late to choose, goodluck

i'm in the same position.i didnt want to complete foundation yr because its more time and money plus it's time taken out of my placements before i start earning but i guess i will have to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending