The Student Room Group

I think I was caught speeding - what will happen? Please help :(

I was driving home from work today, and passed a police van with speed cameras. I didn't realise until I was literally going past it, I slowed down but I think it was too late. I was going approx. 45 mph in a 40mph zone.

I am really, really worried that I may have been caught speeding. I drive that road almost every day and always watch my speed, this was a complete one-off and I am so annoyed at myself.

What are the likely consequences if I was flashed? And when will I know if I was flashed? I passed my test a few months ago and don't have any other driving offences. Also I am sure that the cars around me were doing the same speed!

Could I get points / fine / warning / driving course? If anyone has been in a similar situation please answer!

:frown: :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I don't really know much about this sort of stuff bur i'm pretty sure that a fine for speeding is £60? Seeing as you don't have any points yet you won't get a strong punishment. You will prob be ok though :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App.
Tbh I think they'd let 45mph slip. I wouldn't worry if I were you. :smile:
Reply 3
45 in a 40

If you were caught then that will be £30 - £60 and 3 points on your licence

If you gain 6 points in your first 24 months of driving you will lose your licence

Some people are saying that you would be on a course ... this is very much area dependant as not everywhere do these
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
You will be fine
You probably would have seen a flash
Your speedo will be a little faster then your actual speed so you may have been ok at 45
All the times I've known people get done they've seen a flash
The likelihood is if the worst comes to the worst you will probably be able to go to a seminar and won't get the points as that is in the range of speeds that is able to go to a seminar
Don't worry too much
Reply 6
Original post by drummer
You will be fine

Yes, exactly £60 fine.

(geddit, geddit? see what I did there:biggrin:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Secret police gon' track you down. Better start running.
Reply 8
The police speed vans don't flash.
You'll either get a letter in the post next week... Or you won't.
45 in a 40 limit is on the threshold for taking action and car speedo's are set to read slightly over your true speed.
Reply 9
If you were caught you'll get an NIP through within 14 days offering you to accept 3 points and a £60 fine, or you can take it to court.

Most areas seem to have speed awareness courses, which usually means you'll pay £90 for the course, but get no points. They use discretion as to whether it's suitable for you though.

Not a whole lot of point in worrying about it. There's nothing you can do except sit and wait, and then accept what's coming your way. 3 points on your license will not increase insurance by a great deal at all, and it's unlikely to stop you getting a job.
Reply 10
I seriously doubt this was a one off occurance, at the exact same time and stretch of road as ongoing speed checks.

You will probably recieve a smallish fine and maybe 3 points on your license like others have said. However, despite this I have seen more often than not, no repercussions following being caught a few miles an hour over the limit. It depends how willing the on duty officer is to do masses of extra paperwork.
Reply 11
Original post by Mockery
I seriously doubt this was a one off occurance, at the exact same time and stretch of road as ongoing speed checks.

You will probably recieve a smallish fine and maybe 3 points on your license like others have said. However, despite this I have seen more often than not, no repercussions following being caught a few miles an hour over the limit. It depends how willing the on duty officer is to do masses of extra paperwork.

If it's a camera van, it's all done automatically...
Reply 12
I thought they only get you if you do 10% + 2mph over them limit?

So she'd need to be doing 46?
Reply 13
You don't think if you were speeding the police van would have caught up with you...

If it was an actual speed camera you probably would have noticed the flash, do you mean a speed gun the police had?

You were probably only doing 43/44, they probably clocked you at 42/43, didn't bother doing anything since that's the speed most people would go on a 40 road and it not being 100% accurate anyway. I think they're looking for people going a little faster...
Reply 14
Original post by Mockery

It genuinely was - which is why I am kicking myself about it so much!
Reply 15
Thank you to everyone for your answers... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.... :sad:
I doubt it will come to anything. 45 on your speedo is more like 43 in reality, even if that weren't the case, I would expect you'd have to go over 45 to actually get a speeding ticket.

But you will find out, I guess.
Reply 17
Allowing for errors in the speedo and the fact the speed camera is probably set up to flash at speed limit + 10% or something like that it's unlikely you got caught.

However I don't understand how some people are offering 'advice' in this thread when they clearly don't know how these things work. You don't get a smallish fine and 'maybe' some points. You get a £60 fine and 3 points. You don't get one without the other.
Also to those who think that's not much, you obviously haven't seen how much insurance prices go up when you tell them you have 3 points.

Also OP if you don't hear within 14 days you haven't been caught.
Reply 18
if your speedo was reading 45 then it was probably really 43
Reply 19
You can be done for speeding at 41 mph these days, the old cameras weren't good enough but some of the new vans are capable of catching you speeding even a small amount over. It will be a 3 points and £60 they may offer you the drivers awareness.

There is nothing you can do about it now so try not to worry, it's horrible waiting for a ticket and wondering if it's going to drop on your mat but not life threatening just expendsive.

Quick Reply

Latest