The Student Room Group

IGCSE CHEMISTRY 2013 (May 20th & June 10th)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Harris Ali
Hey, does anybody have to know whether we have to know about the individual observations about particular reactions of metals + water (so how potassium reacts and aluminum reacts) and how particular metals + acids react or do we just need to learn to general products created?

I'd suggest you learn the general formulae for the reactions, general observations and how the reactivity increases/decreases with different elements.
I do hope they stick to the promise that the content in bold on the specification won't come up in Monday's exam.

Does anyone have an idiot's guide to titration calculations? Like a few formulae?

Just got 104/120 on a past paper. It's always the maths that lets me down! How is everyone doing with revision?
Reply 62
Just to get one thing right:

For electrons, oxidation is loss and reduction is gain - but for oxygen, oxidation is gain and reduction is loss?
Original post by Harris Ali
Hey, does anybody have to know whether we have to know about the individual observations about particular reactions of metals + water (so how potassium reacts and aluminum reacts) and how particular metals + acids react or do we just need to learn to general products created?

Know the general pattern - for most 'what can she observe' questions, effervescence is ALWAYS one of the answers unless the metal is less reactive than the acid and no displacement takes place.
Reply 64
Hey guys, for any last minute run ups, about Salts, ion Tests and electrolysis, this page is very useful.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GCSE_Science/Acids_%26_Bases,_Salts_and_Electrolysis
Reply 65
Does anyone know what might come up in the paper. PLEASE I REALLY NEED TO KNOW. THANK YOU :smile::smile::smile::smile::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
Reply 66
Original post by alexgr97
Just to get one thing right:

For electrons, oxidation is loss and reduction is gain - but for oxygen, oxidation is gain and reduction is loss?

Pretty much, yes :smile: Because the oxidising agent always get reduced, and the reducing agent gets oxidised! It's a little confusing, I know :P
Reply 67
for paper 1 , do you think we need to know about the more complex isomers e.g. 2,2, methylpropane? and if so how do you name them? i get the labelling of methyl groups but i just don't get the number in front of them?
Reply 68
Original post by tw15st3d
for paper 1 , do you think we need to know about the more complex isomers e.g. 2,2, methylpropane? and if so how do you name them? i get the labelling of methyl groups but i just don't get the number in front of them?

The highest number I've ever seen to be asked to draw is drawing two isomers of butene. Anyway, after you've found the longest carbon chain and you've got the methyl, then you look at the position of the extra carbon(s) that aren't in that carbon chain. Starting from either side, you count all the carbons until you get to the one that the extra group(s) come(s) off. That's the number.
Reply 69
How much of the chemical tests is going to come up on the paper? I've been learning then solidly!!
Reply 70
I'm a bit stuck on water of crystallisation could anyone please explain to me question 13)iii) on June 2012? It's a calculation and I just don't know how to do it! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amalik_
I'm a bit stuck on water of crystallisation could anyone please explain to me question 13)iii) on June 2012? It's a calculation and I just don't know how to do it! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I just did that same paper and basically all you have to do is use your answers from the previous question so for ZnSO4 you do 4.83\161 = 0.03
then you do the same for the water which comes up with 0.21 and then you find the ratio to its 1:7 and therefore 7 is the value of x. - hope that helps :smile:
Reply 72
Original post by jazzrules28592
Hey I just did that same paper and basically all you have to do is use your answers from the previous question so for ZnSO4 you do 4.83\161 = 0.03
then you do the same for the water which comes up with 0.21 and then you find the ratio to its 1:7 and therefore 7 is the value of x. - hope that helps :smile:

Thank you so much I get it now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
exactly 17 hours till my exam!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Is everyone doing English language tomorrow as well?
Reply 75
Nope, tomorrow enligsh literature. Language was the 15th
Reply 76
Original post by Dominicoben

I did Language on Friday alr, It's English Literature tmr.
can someone please tell me the grade boundries for May 2012 1p? did you guys find it difficult?
Reply 78
Original post by lina27
Please whenever anyone of you finishes the exam could you please write down some questions which appeared there? It would be really helpful as I'm no good in Chemistry. I've got my exam 20 hours from noww... quite nervous..:colondollar:

There is an embargo on edexcel exams, so UK students may not talk about the exam until 4:30AM on the day after the exam. You won't get any info from us :P
Reply 79
Original post by Dominicoben

Yep I've got mine tomorrow too, and then maths and English lit the day after :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest