The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Recipe Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
chicken and noodle stir fry

i packet of instant noodles
chicken breast cut into pieces ( or a packet of chopped chicken / turkey)
assorted veg

eg
sliced mushrooms
mange tout
peas
sliced carrots
baby corn
spring onions
onions

soy sauce

cooking oil

wok or deep pan - don't bother with a frying pan, food will just come out of the edges.

put a kettle on to boil
open pack of noodles and throw away sachet of "flavour"

heat the wok
stir fry chicken until cooked
add veg
stir fry for a few mins
add boiling water to cover - if you add too much you will end up with chicken noodle soup.
add noodles
stir for a min or two until cokoed
ladd soy sauce to taste
eat
Reply 21
Boiled egg

this will give you an egg where the white is solid and the yolk runny

eggs
water

boil a kettle
put the egg(s)
in the pan (if you keep eggs in the fridge you will need to bring them to room temperature before adding water, otherwise they will crack)
add water from kettle
turn on hob
If the egg(s) crack, add salt to the water - it stops the egg seeping out.
boil for bout 3 mins BUT AND THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT - every so often lift the egg out of the pad with a table spoon and look at the shell. If the shell stays wet the egg isn't cooked. If a patch of egg dries off as soon as you take it out of the pan then it is cooked.
eat
Reply 22
Here's a simple one for breakfast or dessert.

Get some frozen waffles and toast them in a toaster. Spread butter thoroughly on waffles and then put a teaspoon of sugar on the butter. Spread the sugar around, mixing it with the butter. Then, microwave on high for 10 seconds. Enjoy.
Reply 23
In Franch sausage with Tagliatelli, i suppose it should be written TagliatellE
Reply 24
http://www.uk-learning.net/t18981.html the ultimate roast potatoes thread everyone!

we need extra posts on potato cooking - they are a staple of the diet, so have got to be covered in some detail.
A Glass Of Water- Refreshing drink

*Get a glass
*Turn on the tap
*Wait for the water to run a bit whilst in hard water area (The trick is to wait until it gets warm and then it goes real cold and clear)
*Put the glass underneath

and Voila! Glass of Water. Internationally recognised drink!

Oh I'm so sarcastic for the person who's idea this thread was in the first place lol!
piginapoke
Fairy Bread (from Mrs Pig):

Ingredients

Bread
Butter (or marge, whatever takes your fancy)
Hundreds and thousands (those little multi coloured things you sprinkle on ice cream)

Directions

Spead butter on bread.
Sprinkle over some hundreds and thousands.
Eat.
Can you put glitter on them? or is that hazardous to health???
Reply 27
Omelettes & fried eggs

i absolutely adore eggs, although I'm still learning to cook them properly.

the key thing is making sure your pan is very hot, with oil coating all of the pan. i tend to use medium-high heat when cooking them.

fried egg:
crack an egg into a hot pan, and break the yolk if desired. let the bottom turn golden brown, then flip (if you like both sides brown). if you want a runny yolk, then take it off the heat as soon as the outside of the yolk goes solid, but is still quite spongy if you prod it with a spoon (taking care not to break the yolk). add salt to taste

omelette:
for a meal, allow 3/4 eggs per person. beat them together in a bowl, seasoning with salt and pepper.
pour the mixture into a heated small round frying pan (again medium-high heat), let the bottom set itself, then add your own mixture of cheese, mushrooms, ham, peppers etc. then fold half the omelette over the other, and turn it round a few times to make sure that the two halves have stuck together. don't overcook it - you will then have a slightly runny middle with the cheese slightly melted.. mmmm heavenly :biggrin:
Reply 28
Danithestudent

*Get a glass
*Turn on the tap
*Wait for the water to run a bit whilst in hard water area (The trick is to wait until it gets warm and then it goes real cold and clear)

Oh I'm so sarcastic for the person who's idea this thread was in the first place lol!

i have an enhancement on that :biggrin:
after the running water goes cold, rinse the glass a few times to get it nice and cold first

:wink:
Rude Word Biscuits

Get some digestives (chocolate even)
Get some of those cool icing pens
Write your favourite obscenities on them
Give them to the ones you love
Imagine the smile on your best mates face when you hand them a biscuit that says "Shithead"
Reply 30
Danithestudent
Rude Word Biscuits

Get some digestives (chocolate even)
Get some of those cool icing pens
Write your favourite obscenities on them
Give them to the ones you love
Imagine the smile on your best mates face when you hand them a biscuit that says "Shithead"

btw dani, i think more umm 'sophisticated' recipes are required. unlike you, i can't cook very well yet :tongue: and i need to learn before uni...

can anyone provide anything on marinading and cooking various types of meat, like beef pork and chicken? i'm thinking of frying, stewing, grilling, baking etc.
Oil, garlic and a bit of seasoning. Rub garlic into meat as well.

I can't cook too well. I've never used a grill in my life...
P.S. I solved my foody problem by going to Amazon.co.uk and ordering a student cookbook
Danithestudent

*Get a glass
*Turn on the tap

would have thought you would have liked this thread- cos it came from your idea in the uni sub forum :frown:
*sniff sniff*
i have included all your fabulous recipes!!
even the water :smile:
Reply 34
Best recipe for delicious food.

Step. 1 Get a girlfriend
Step.2 Demand food
Step 3 Apologise...and then enjoy the food :smile:
Cossack
Best recipe for delicious food.

Step. 1 Get a girlfriend
Step.2 Demand food
Step 3 Apologise...and then enjoy the food :smile:

good plan!!
except if you are my bf cos I can't cook very well :redface:
that's why i need good recipes! othewise it goes horribly wrong!!:biggrin:
Reply 36
ruthiepoothie
good plan!!
except if you are my bf cos I can't cook very well :redface:
that's why i need good recipes! othewise it goes horribly wrong!!:biggrin:

Step 4 Have affair wth girl at catering college
Cossack
Step 4 Have affair wth girl at catering college

lol...that sounds more like it!!
Cottage Pie Recipe (http://www.cuisinedumonde.com/cottage_pie.html)

1 onion

1 carrot

1 tablespoon of oil

500 grams / 1 lb of beef mince

2 tablespoons of flour

1 tablespoon of tomato sauce (ketchup)

½ to 1 tablespoon of Worcester sauce (Lee & Perins)

½ cup of peas

½ cup of corn kernels (optional)

1 bouquet garni or a small bunch of herbs chopped finely and one whole bay leaf

¾ to 1 cup of beef stock

3 to 4 large potatoes

1 tablespoon of butter

salt and pepper

Peel and chop the onion and carrot finely. Heat the oil in a large frypan or saucepan, add the onion and cook until the onion is clear or translucent. Add the minced beef and sauté using a wooden spoon break up the mince so it is nice and fine. When the mince is thoroughly browned stir through the flour and cook for one minute. Add the tomato sauce, Worcester sauce, finely chopped carrot, peas, corn and herbs. Stir thoroughly to combine. Gradually add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cover, simmering for 10 to 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. The mixture should be quite thick. Remove and discard the bouquet garni or whole bay leaf and set mixture aside.

Peel the potatoes, chop into quarters and place in a medium saucepan with cold water just covering the potatoes. Add a little salt to the water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. When the potatoes are cooked, drain and place back on the heat for a few seconds to let any extra water evaporate. Mash the potatoes with one tablespoon of butter until the potato is very creamy - add a little milk if necessary. Add salt to taste.

Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F or gas mark 5. Spoon the mince mixture into a pie dish, then spoon or pipe the creamy mashed potato over the mince. Sprinkle grated cheese on top if desired and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the potato is golden and the pie is heated through. (Serves 4)
Sausage Casserole

Ingredients:

8 medium size sausages (two per person).
I medium sized onion (leeks will do if you prefer)
4 shallots roughly chopped
2 peppers, sliced
2 crushed garlic cloves
1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1/2 pint of chicken stock
1 400g tin of lentils
1 table spoon of cider vinegar
2 teaspoons of brown sugar
2 medium sized potatoes peeled and diced into cubes
1 sprig of chopped rosemary
knob of butter

Method:

Melt the butter in a large heavy bottomed casserole dish on a medium heat on top of the stove. Pierce the sausages then brown all over.

Set aside the sausages, add the onions shallots and garlic to the pan, cook slowly for about five minutes or until they start to become tender.

Add the cubed potatoes and fry for a further five minutes, taking care not to burn the onions and garlic.

Add the chicken stock gradually, stir well and add the sausages.

Slowly introduce half the rosemary and all of the other ingredients.

You are looking for the liquid to cover all of the sausages, the liquid to reduce down during cooking by as much as half.

Continue to cook on the stove for a few minutes gradually increasing the heat until the pot is simmering. Taste the casserole, if it's too acidic add a pinch or two of brown sugar.

Cook uncovered for about an hour in the oven at 180c or Mark 4.

Remove from the oven, garnish with the remaining rosemary serve with fresh broad beans and rice, polenta or couscous.

Quick Reply

Latest