The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I really, really don't care what imaginary border I happen to have been born within.
Reply 2
Cornish but if they don't have that option then English.
Reply 3
English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 4
This is on the UCAS form, the options are British, English, Welsh and Scottish.

It made me think.
Reply 5
If I'm applying for a job in England it's British

In Wales it's welsh

If I'm being pretentious I click other and put Welsh/Irish
Reply 6
If you'll ask me my nationality, I'll say British rather than Scottish because of the legal dimension.

However, I don't really think it's a matter of which I feel 'more' or 'before', they are different types of identity which, essentially, are part of one another. You cannot have Scottishness without Britishness or Britishness without Europeanness, by very definition. Equally I don't think one is more important than the other: I simply wouldn't be myself without both elements.

If you did ask me to rank then, I'd put a lot of other identities before being Scottish or British: my social class, for example, or my county. People who make too big a deal about nationality - particularly those that emphasise one part to the exclusion of others - annoy the living hell out of me.
looks like it's fairly even at the minute.

i chose Scottish, but I'm definitely not one of those people who are all like "omfg, scotland's the best, f*k the english bastards, don't call me british"
that's just too far.

However, if I was abroad and someone asked me about myself, I would say "I'm Scottish" rather than "I'm British".
I don't know why, I just would :s-smilie:
Reply 8
The question on UCAS asks for your national identity.
I chose British.
It would be quite uncomfortable to say English.
Reply 9
Phugoid
I really, really don't care what imaginary border I happen to have been born within.

Idealistic prick.
Phugoid

:facepalm2:
Reply 11
PJ991
The question on UCAS asks for your national identity.
I chose British.
It would be quite uncomfortable to say English.

Why would you be uncomfortable with that, out of idle curiosity? Do you ascribe to any type of English identity?

Of course, if it's just something you don't connect to, then that's a fine reason in itself. I suppose that isn't really something a person can justify.
Unless Northern Irish, someone Irish is absolutely not British. Sorry to go on like a broken record, but I feel staunchly about it.
Phugoid

They're not imaginary. There's signposts and everything :rolleyes:

I usually say British.
Indian.

And no, i wasn't born and / or raised here.
Reply 15
Phugoid

It's really not imaginary though is it? What country someone is brought up in will likely have a good deal of influence on their personality. You would probably be a very different person if you were say, Argentinian, or even if you were from a different country in Europe.
Reply 16
L i b
Why would you be uncomfortable with that, out of idle curiosity? Do you ascribe to any type of English identity?

Of course, if it's just something you don't connect to, then that's a fine reason in itself. I suppose that isn't really something a person can justify.

Because I don't feel England has an identity that is very strong, especially when you compare to Scotland and Wales, particularly Scotland, who seem to have a very strong sense of pride in their country.

Also, people seem to have a lesser opinion of 'English' around the world than of Britain.

And finally, I think the union is quite a good thing, and there's no need to say I'm English just to resent the union or anything, because, as I say, there's nothing about England that gives me identity.
Reply 17
rockrunride
Unless Northern Irish, someone Irish is absolutely not British. Sorry to go on like a broken record, but I feel staunchly about it.

They're British if they chose to be and identify as such.
It really pisses me off when people say they hate the English or the Welsh or w/e, when they're from Britain, we should be sticking together and how many people can honestly say they are 100% Welsh/Scottish etc...
Reply 19
I was born and raised in London but I always put down British in any sort of forms or questionnaires.

Latest

Trending

Trending