The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hassan285
i failed gcse english the only one i did fail i got a d im retaking it and applying to ucas they want a pass tho im applying independantly should i lie or not?

I don't understand what you mean. Can you try and rephrase your question and use correct grammar and punctuation please. You failed GCSE English? What did you get the D in?

If you lie (and you're caught) then there can be serious reprucussions. As far as I understand it might mean all offers you receive (if you receive offers) are revoked. It's not worth the risk.
Reply 2
Don't lie. If you're retaking it say it's 'pending'.
I can see why you failed english
Reply 4
I think this is like when a child is taught not to touch a hot surface - they'll learn better if they do it and suffer the repercussions.

So go ahead, lie.
Isn't a D grade at GCSE a pass? So, if the University you are applying to want a PASS in GCSE English, if you've got a grade D, then surely you've met the requirement?
Reply 6
Obviously no OP. Say it is either pending or just wait and apply next year. However, if your Uni is looking for a pass, not necessarily a C grade then you have no need to lie?

Isn't a D grade at GCSE a pass? So, if the University you are applying to want a PASS in GCSE English, if you've got a grade D, then surely you've met the requirement?

Random thought. Medicine and English? :lolwut: How did you do it...personal statement wise? Congrats on your offer btw :biggrin:
A 'D' isn't a fail. Anything 'E' or above is a pass, i think.
Reply 8
im quite sure in gcse is C a pass and D is a fail
A D grade is a pass, but a C is the minimum to meet the the governments definition of a 'good' pass.
GCSE grades go from A*-G (plus U for ungraded), so no, you didn't fail. Most universities ask for a grade C in English and Maths, but not all :smile:
Reply 11
im not sure i googled it and majority are saying D is fail im :s explain please
Reply 12
Dont lie about your gcse grade for english just be truthful its not worth it at your college or sixth form you should have had option to retake GCSE English again so you can achieve a grade C which is requirement of most courses at university .
Reply 13
Hassan285

Yes A*-C are considered as a "pass", you can retake English in your sixth form and put it down as pending on UCAS.
Hassan285

Grades A* down to G are officially pass grades. However, only grades A* down to C are supposed to be equivalent to a pass in the old GCE O level. Employers and most universities are only interested in grades A* down to C, which is why many people think these are the pass grades. For UCAS purposes you have to declare all grades above U grade.
Reply 15
Hassan285
im quite sure in gcse is C a pass and D is a fail

A 'U' is a fail. Anything above is a pass. A 'C' is usually considered the pass grade because Uni's usually look for grade 'C' or above, but in fact anything above 'U' is still a pass.

Latest

Trending

Trending