The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Boo, all this talk about Cambridge makes me sad I'm not going back for another year.

I miss Cambridge in the winter. :frown:
Original post by brimstone
Boo, all this talk about Cambridge makes me sad I'm not going back for another year.

:ditto:

Its gorgeous with all the crisp winter sunlight :love:
Original post by around
Does anyone know the best way to disseminate information university-wide during the holidays? The CUSU bulletin only runs during term-time...

E-mail faculty secretaries? Law still sends them out in the holidays so I'd guess other faculties do that too. That being said, our law secretary is infamous for forwarding every e-mail she gets directed to any one group in the law fac so she could be alone on this.
I live on the same latitude as Cambridge but quite a bit further inland, and I was fine just wearing the same as I wear at home, a scarf and hoodie, microfleece or leather jacket, I really don't think most people will need any more than that, maybe a pair of gloves and/or a hat.

Original post by Melanie-v
I saw somewhere that you were underage at the beginning of uni at Cambridge. Did you get around some of the restrictions, or did they not ID in some places? I'm going to turn 17 just after the start of term, and it'd be pretty annoying if I couldn't get served or even get in anywhere. :tongue:

I had a couple of friends who were 17 in their first year. We don't really go clubbing or to ents, so I can't report back on that, but it doesn't tend to be a problem in pubs unless they're IDing everyone on the door like they do at spoons. It's not uncommon for them to ID everyone who's in group of people who are clearly together if any one of you is buying alcohol in Sainsbury's, so discretion's the better part of valour in that context.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2004
Original post by brimstone

Original post by Craghyrax

Come visit then? :P The town's not disappearing and you both still know plenty of people there.

Still can't decide if I'm keen to go back or not... luckily I don't have that much choice. And Fitzbillies is back, which is always a plus.
Original post by Leipzig
Come visit then? :P The town's not disappearing and you both still know plenty of people there.

I certainly will be :smile: I have lots of friends who are staying. Also Norwich is close and inexpensive to travel from. My rights at the UL might result in frequent work related visits, as well as the 'digital humanities' group in CRASSH which holds conferences and workshops.

Nevertheless I expect Norwich's weather to be quite similar to Cambridge's, so hopefully I'll appreciate the same things there even though it isn't quite as pretty naturally.
Reply 2006
I certainly will be :smile: I have lots of friends who are staying. Also Norwich is close and inexpensive to travel from. My rights at the UL might result in frequent work related visits, as well as the 'digital humanities' group in CRASSH which holds conferences and workshops.

Nevertheless I expect Norwich's weather to be quite similar to Cambridge's, so hopefully I'll appreciate the same things there even though it isn't quite as pretty naturally.

Wanted to rep this, but PRSOM... See you in the UL! :redface:
Reply 2007
I hate smoothies because I've yet to find any except the yoghurt and vanilla bean/maple syrup style that don't contain banana :yucky: And I can taste banana a mile off no matter how many berries etc. they throw in.

I know many banana-haters with this issue. If you're back in Cam at all try the ones from Savino's, they usually have exactly what they say they have in them and no more (and they're made in front of you, so you can verify!)

You would be correct there.
Original post by Melz0r
I know many banana-haters with this issue. If you're back in Cam at all try the ones from Savino's, they usually have exactly what they say they have in them and no more (and they're made in front of you, so you can verify!)

Thankyou for the suggestion. However I avoid Savinos because
a) I am not an Emma student, therefore its not an initiation rite/membership requirement :p: (I was a devout regular at Fitzbillies of course!)
b) Its in the nasty bit of the city centre, i.e. the most busy congested part with the most traffic and tourists :s-smilie:
c) I don't actually like fruit enough to go out of my way for a smoothie :p:

I do recall that they do good coffee though :smile: However Clowns still tops my list for best, most authentic coffee in town.
Thankyou for the suggestion. However I avoid Savinos because
a) I am not an Emma student, therefore its not an initiation rite/membership requirement :p: (I was a devout regular at Fitzbillies of course!)
b) Its in the nasty bit of the city centre, i.e. the most busy congested part with the most traffic and tourists :s-smilie:
c) I don't actually like fruit enough to go out of my way for a smoothie :p:

I do recall that they do good coffee though :smile: However Clowns still tops my list for best, most authentic coffee in town.

I hear Clowns does do good coffee. The smell of coffee certainly pervaded my house enough this year to suggest it :tongue:

I was put off Clowns by having the room next to their storage room. I don't know what that wall was made of but I could hear them going up and down the steps. And having the occasional party...

(The owners usually waved to us when they saw us though :smile:)
Original post by gethsemane342
I hear Clowns does do good coffee. The smell of coffee certainly pervaded my house enough this year to suggest it :tongue:

I was put off Clowns by having the room next to their storage room. I don't know what that wall was made of but I could hear them going up and down the steps. And having the occasional party...

(The owners usually waved to us when they saw us though :smile:)

In that case you probably know how authentically Italian they are :lol: Whenever you go there they're always having a loud conversation to an Italian customer over the top of your head while stopping to direct overly-fond enthusiastic endearments your way while getting your coffee :biggrin: I love it, but it would drive me nuts if I lived next door.
In that case you probably know how authentically Italian they are :lol: Whenever you go there they're always having a loud conversation to an Italian customer over the top of your head while stopping to direct overly-fond enthusiastic endearments your way while getting your coffee :biggrin: I love it, but it would drive me nuts if I lived next door.

Ha ha, yep. Their bins were in our courtyard and they'd always have loud conversations when dumping rubbish. Took us a while to twig who it was.

My Slovak housemate came in the house, speaking on the phone to her parents once. I freaked, thinking the Clowns staff had wandered in for some reason. Then I realised the languages were different :colondollar:

My Slovak housemate came in the house, speaking on the phone to her parents once. I freaked, thinking the Clowns staff had wandered in for some reason. Then I realised the languages were different :colondollar:

:rofl:
I'll probably be easier to miss in subject drinks :smile: Ah well, I'll be the one from Wales in that case. Unless there's now a fresher from Wales in which case, sorry :smile:

It's a bit of a mix to be honest. The first year is the easiest of all 3, mainly due to the fact you only do 4 subjects and one of those - Civil Law I - has a relatively light workload. You do get thrown into the deep end a bit - you have intro lectures to studying law at the very beginning, otherwise you're meant to pick it up as you go along. But all the supervisors are concious that you've just started so will mark with that in mind and give very helpful advice :smile:

Also, the DoS last year did a few weeks of intro sessions for our freshers. I don't know if it helped them or not though :tongue:

I've also discovered that there's a Christ's College Law Page :lolwut: Feel free to join if you haven't already - Christ's Law. There is also a group but it's closed. Still, having just glanced, the new admin seems to be getting freshers from somewhere so maybe you're friends with him?
Huh, we have a website now as well! Hmm, I think this is what our law soc was supposed to do this year but none of us managed it. Guess matters were taken out of our hands then :biggrin:

Fair enough, I realised I worded my question wrong as I meant to ask about the intensity of the first few weeks rather then the yearr but being the good lawyer you are, I see you explained how the first weeks work so for that I thank you loool!

I'm told there are going to be 9 new lawyers this year and well its unlikely that someone will be from Wales:tongue:, I've spoken to a couple and they seem to be from England :smile:!

I've joined the Freshers group and the law group (I think) on FB....
Original post by Topaz_eyes
For those with bikes:

Is it worth getting a basket? I have a pretty good rucksack and I thought I could use that, but apparently that throws off balance and is not a good idea.

Nope. I had one, only used it once. It needs to be tied down very tightly or Bad Things Will Happen. The one time that I used it there was a bit of slack and I put a chicken and a bag of potatoes in it for cooking a roast. How I got up to my girlfriend's house up on Oxford Road I have no idea, as when I got on I weaved all over the place.

A rucksack will screw up the steering a lot less, will take more stuff, is cheaper and you can use it for other things. The only disadvantage is that you get a sweaty back.

When cycling to work I shove my work clothes and other accoutrements in a pannier on the back wheel. If you don't want to use a rucksack then panniers are great, as is strapping stuff to the rack. I've strapped my £1000 melodeon to the back of my bike so much that the case is wrecked. I've since bought a rucksack for it because my new bike's rack isn't so sturdy. My other two melodeons (one worth about the same, the other less) go in a pannier and another rucksack if I cycle anywhere with them.

Looking forward to it already :biggrin: Summer is such a dull season. Nothing compared to a nice red autumn day, a crisp winter morning or dawn in May.
Original post by ukebert

When cycling to work I shove my work clothes and other accoutrements in a pannier on the back wheel. If you don't want to use a rucksack then panniers are great, as is strapping stuff to the rack. I've strapped my £1000 melodeon to the back of my bike so much that the case is wrecked. I've since bought a rucksack for it because my new bike's rack isn't so sturdy. My other two melodeons (one worth about the same, the other less) go in a pannier and another rucksack if I cycle anywhere with them.

Yes but the problem is that many bicycles don't come with a rack or pannier. So for someone looking into sorting something out, a basket is the cheaper option by far. That's the problem I had.

I can imagine a loose basket would cause grief. But when I bought my basket the shop strapped it on firmly with loads of cable ties, and I've never had that particular problem.

Its interesting you think Summer is 'dull'. My only issue with it is the crippling heat.
Reply 2016
I hate smoothies because I've yet to find any except the yoghurt and vanilla bean/maple syrup style that don't contain banana :yucky: And I can taste banana a mile off no matter how many berries etc. they throw in.

Innocent also do some no-banana ones (I'm usually not a fan of banana, but it's OK if there are loads of berries).
Is it bad that on Starter For Ten I'm cheering for Queens, Cambridge rather than Bristol Uni (who the characters come from)? :biggrin:
Original post by AlexG55
Innocent also do some no-banana ones (I'm usually not a fan of banana, but it's OK if there are loads of berries).

Thanks!
Actually I miss this awesome health food takeaway franchise in South Africa, which did the most tasty stuff ever :drool: And it was all customisable: http://www.kauai.co.za/

Those smoothies were to die for.
Actually I miss this awesome health food takeaway franchise in South Africa, which did the most tasty stuff ever :drool: And it was all customisable: http://www.kauai.co.za/

Could kill for that mediterranean pesto wrap :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending