Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Username: lrowles93
Subject: Economics
AS Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Geography (AAAA)
GCSE: 10A*s 1.5As
A-Level Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A*
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 41
Username: fruktas
Subject : Mathematics
AS Subjects : History, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Finance
Achieved : A* in maths (590/600) A in physics (276/300) A history (175/200)
Predictions A*A*A*
This year : Certificate in Securities and Investments, AS&A2 Further maths, A2 physics.
GCSE : 4A*, 1A , 4B
Username: Hassi94
Subject: Mathematics with Economics
GCSE: 6A* 5A
AS Results: 6 As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and General Studies.
A-Level Predicted Grades: A*A*A*
I am carrying on with Maths, Further Maths and Physics.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by milanmylove
Hey dude i'm thinking of applying for ActSci too

what kind of things did you talk about in your PS (just in general) ? Mainly maths?

thx for any advice

x

Yeah for my P.S. I just talked about why I love maths and certain aspects of it which interested me and then how I could apply skills I'd learned to my work experience. I talked about my favourite books and authors, any lectures I'd attended, maths challenges etc. Just anything you can use to show you've an interest in Maths.
Reply 44
Original post by K^2
I'm just starting the BSc degree in Actuarial science in October so if anyone has any questions about applying etc. just give me a shout!

My predicted grades for A level are ok (A* in Maths and Physics and A in Econ) but my Igcse results aren't that good - only 1 A*, 7 A and 1 C in English Lit (all traditional subjects). Can I still apply to do Actuarial Sciences at LSE?
Reply 45
Original post by K^2
Yeah for my P.S. I just talked about why I love maths and certain aspects of it which interested me and then how I could apply skills I'd learned to my work experience. I talked about my favourite books and authors, any lectures I'd attended, maths challenges etc. Just anything you can use to show you've an interest in Maths.

in your personal statement, what did you mention in aspects of the course? i cant pick cus all my uni choices are the same degree but have different content
Reply 46
Still deciding on the LSE for economics

Does anyone know if they are looking at UMS for economics this year? They don't have any indication if it on their website, which is a bit sneaky :ninja:
Reply 47
Original post by K^2
I'm just starting the BSc degree in Actuarial science in October so if anyone has any questions about applying etc. just give me a shout!

Heyy, I was thinking about act sci aswell. I dont know if I will be able to get an offer with my predicted grades. Can I ask what yours were? Thanks
Reply 48
Hey, I'm going to be starting Politics and Philosophy next month, moving into halls in a couple of days, so if anyone's got any questions about applying or whatever, feel free to ask! Can't believe it's two years since I applied :smile:
Anybody reapplying?
Original post by K^2

I'm also thinking of applying for Actuarial at LSE, I'm predicted A*A*A* in Maths, Economics and English Lit, but I haven't got Further Maths, hoping it won't be a problem.
Any tips for PS?
Reply 51
Original post by Irrational

Still deciding on the LSE for economics

Does anyone know if they are looking at UMS for economics this year? They don't have any indication if it on their website, which is a bit sneaky :ninja:

They looked at UMS for certain applicants last year, I think they chose based on GCSE's as before they ask they only have UCAS details. Most applicants applied with straight A's @ AS so I'm assuming it was on GCSE's
Reply 52
Im hearing LSE are real GCSE nazis :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Econight
They looked at UMS for certain applicants last year, I think they chose based on GCSE's as before they ask they only have UCAS details. Most applicants applied with straight A's @ AS so I'm assuming it was on GCSE's

So, if you have straight A* grades, they're less likely to ask you for UMS?
Reply 54

So, if you have straight A* grades, they're less likely to ask you for UMS?

I assume so, don't take my word for it but put it this way: you have a 0% chance of even getting in if you don't apply. Just take the plunge.
Original post by Econight
I assume so, don't take my word for it but put it this way: you have a 0% chance of even getting in if you don't apply. Just take the plunge.

Does that also apply for courses such as EconEconHistory and Government and Economics?

I'm planning on applying for Econ and Econ History..does this course also place an extreme emphasis on GCSE like straight Econ? My GCSE's were poor but my predicted grades should be good and AS are also hopefully going to be 'alright' pending 2 remarks. I'm also doing Further Maths and A2 Maths which should hopefully demonstrate a good mathematical ability.

Whadya think?
Reply 56
Original post by noocroft
My predicted grades for A level are ok (A* in Maths and Physics and A in Econ) but my Igcse results aren't that good - only 1 A*, 7 A and 1 C in English Lit (all traditional subjects). Can I still apply to do Actuarial Sciences at LSE?

I would say still apply surely because your A level predictions are quite good. Although it depends on your AS results because that's what they will judge you on as well.
Reply 57
Original post by faithxfaye
in your personal statement, what did you mention in aspects of the course? i cant pick cus all my uni choices are the same degree but have different content

I didn't mention aspects of the course because I was applying for some straight maths degrees as well. I just talked about areas in maths which I though could apply to act sic but also a straight maths degree.
Reply 58
Original post by Loserrr
Heyy, I was thinking about act sci aswell. I dont know if I will be able to get an offer with my predicted grades. Can I ask what yours were? Thanks

I was predicted 4A*s in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Gov & Politics, plus an A in AS Further Maths which I did over two years.
Reply 59
Original post by Indifferent
I'm also thinking of applying for Actuarial at LSE, I'm predicted A*A*A* in Maths, Economics

I did AS Further Maths over two years and it wasn't part of my offer so I don't think it matters that much. If those are your predicted grades it shouldn't be too hard, depending on your GCSEs of course, this is LSE we're talking about.

Quick Reply

Latest