Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by Randomized
As far as Reading halls go, thats cheap :pierre:

The halls are really, really expensive here.

Compared to other unis I've looked at, Reading is one the most expensive for accommodation! Over £130 for a decent room with an en-suite is insane. other than mackinder and stenton, there doesn't seem to be a good option for an en-suite room, self-catered in a sociable, well-located hall. Considering st. patricks simply for the apparent good social life.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 621
Anyone going to the applicants day on Saturday the 25th February ? :smile:
I am going for Economics, not really up for half 7 train journey in morning to get there on time :frown:
anyone know if the university is easy to get to from the train station?
Reply 622
Original post by NGlynn94
Anyone going to the applicants day on Saturday the 25th February ? :smile:
I am going for Economics, not really up for half 7 train journey in morning to get there on time :frown:
anyone know if the university is easy to get to from the train station?

Your best bet would to go there by bus. As soon as you come out of Reading train station there's a bus stop on the road to the left, go there and wait for a red or 'claret' bus (all buses in Reading are colour coded). The buses are really regular, usually every seven minutes or so, so you shouldn't be waiting very long. When you get on it either pay £1.80 for a single or £3.40 for a return, you have to put your money into an automated change machine thing, so I advise you pay the exact amount, as no change is given. Sit on there for a while (maybe 10 minutes or so) and you'll be notified when you reach the University :grin:

You could walk, I have before, but it'll take you a good half hour, and that's if you know your way around.

Hope I helped.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 623
Original post by Liam_G
Your best bet would to go there by bus. As soon as you come out of Reading train station there's a bus stop on the road to the left, go there and wait for a red or 'claret' bus (all buses in Reading are colour coded). The buses are really regular, usually every seven minutes or so, so you shouldn't be waiting very long. When you get on it either pay £1.80 for a single or £3.40 for a return, you have to put your money into an automated change machine thing, so I advise you pay the exact amount, as no change is given. Sit on there for a while (maybe 10 minutes or so) and you'll be notified when you reach the University :grin:

You could walk, I have before, but it'll take you a good half hour, and that's if you know your way around.

Hope I helped.

thanks! :smile: I have got a say saver with my train tickets so I should be fine with the change situation :smile:
Reply 624
Original post by S'mores
Wooahh, that offer is pretty much unconditional, hahaha! They must have loved your portfolio!
Tbh, I'm not worrying that much about facilities - Reading (according to the Guardian) is 6th for Art and Design in the UK, and it's course sounds perfect, especially for an A level student who doesn't want to go down the foundation year route! Oh, and it also got the most beautiful campus award a while ago too, which is always a bonus! Andddd its a campus uni in a town, which is great for a 'community' feel, but, its close to London, so it's easy to get to a big city fast for internships, exhibitions and for having fun :smile:

I must sound like an advertising company or something, hehe, but those are the reasons why I'm sooooo keen on Reading!
..... oh, and Plymouths cool too.
I think you can tell which uni I would choose! :wink:
I hope I get an offer soon too, I'll tell you when I hear from them!

hey! i've got my offer from reading, and its pretty much unconditional too! :smile: think i'm gonna go for art there, it just sounds so much better than anywhere else! cantttttt wait, also i live in reading and its brilliant so any questions about the town and whatnot feel free
Reply 625
Original post by rouseface
hey! i've got my offer from reading, and its pretty much unconditional too! :smile: think i'm gonna go for art there, it just sounds so much better than anywhere else! cantttttt wait, also i live in reading and its brilliant so any questions about the town and whatnot feel free

Hi! Wow, congrats on your offer, that's fantastic news!
Have you applied for a joint degree or the Art BA?
I'm so nervous, I haven't had an offer yet, and it's killing me!
I applied to the Art and History of Art BA - I want it so bad!
When did you hear about your offer?
Maybe me, you and Drowners will end up at Reading together doing art!
Finger-crossed I'll hear something soon!
Reply 626
Original post by NGlynn94
anyone going to the open day on 25th Feb ? :smile:

I am! :biggrin:
Reply 627
Original post by rouseface

yay another art person :smile: I think I also have decided that i want to go to reading.. see you there :biggrin: since you live there, are you going to stay in halls?
Reply 628
What A-levels are you law offer holders studying?
Reply 629
anyone know the date we apply for accomodation? :smile:
Original post by WIC
What A-levels are you law offer holders studying?

I'm doing Geography, history and french; holding an offer for LLB Law with legal studies in Europe :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 631
Original post by L - Jilla94
I'm doing Geography, history and french; holding an offer for LLB Law with legal studies in Europe :smile:

Thanks a lot. :smile:

You don't happen to know where Reading stand on strength of A-level subjects to study (law) there?
no idea really tbh, i doubt there are any real issues surrounding subjects as it tends to only be the top 10 or so uni's which are picky regarding the strength of subjects (apart from general studies, critical thinking etc), might be worth dropping the admissions tutor an email :smile: what subjects are you studying out of interest?
Reply 633
Original post by L - Jilla94
no idea really tbh, i doubt there are any real issues surrounding subjects as it tends to only be the top 10 or so uni's which are picky regarding the strength of subjects (apart from general studies, critical thinking etc), might be worth dropping the admissions tutor an email :smile: what subjects are you studying out of interest?

they only consider which subjects you have studied if you fail to get the minimum grades/points for your offer. They'll rank everyone who didn't get the grades in order of how far they missed it by and then by how well they did in subjects relevant to the uni course :smile: maybe then they'll look at your personal statement once more too, that's what I gathered from the mathematics open day anyway so I'm just guessing thats what the do across all of the departments there...
Reply 634
Original post by SeanaMay
anyone know the date we apply for accomodation? :smile:

It's the 9th of May if you have a conditional offer. :smile:
Reply 635
Hello!

I've just gotten a place on the Philosophy and Psychology course, I absolutely loved Reading, seemed so friendly but also had a good work ethic.

My condition is confusing me though - it says the condition is "subject to you obtaining - provide copies of your official AS and A-Level results".

Has anyone got an idea what that means?
Reply 636
Original post by opiumette
Hello!

I've just gotten a place on the Philosophy and Psychology course, I absolutely loved Reading, seemed so friendly but also had a good work ethic.

My condition is confusing me though - it says the condition is "subject to you obtaining - provide copies of your official AS and A-Level results".

Has anyone got an idea what that means?

Have you already sat your A level exams and received your grades? If so, this offer is basically an unconditional and they just need to see proof of these grades.
Reply 637
No, I'm sitting two A-levels this year. I do already have an A level, and three AS' though. And my interview seemed to go well. I rang admissions but I'm yet to hear anything back.
It's probably going to be my second choice! Anyway, I am still making my final decision! I applied for Management :smile: who's going to the visit day on wednesday the 7th? :smile:
Reply 639
hello! i'm wondering if anyone could help me. i have offers from royal holloway (ABB) and reading (BBB/ABC) for english and french. i'm really torn between the two and which i should put as my firm and insurance. i know the obvious thing to do would be to put holloway first and reading as second but i'm not sure, especially as holloway specifically state that an 'a' in english is crucial.
if anyone could give me any advice that would be great! thanks.

Latest