The Student Room Group

Do you wear ear plugs to night clubs?

Scroll to see replies

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by atomos
this thread has made me scared for my hearing

i might invest in some ear plugs :erm:

Seconded. Generally after gigs things sound a little duller, not sure if I've noticed ringing. Worst I've had was being slightly deaf in one ear for the following day - sure wasn't nice, but my own fault for being too close to the speakers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fnm
How is that true? And it doesn't matter how big your ears are really, you're protecting your eardrum, which is tiny. Cotton wool is quite dangerous as well because it can get easily stuck.

I have very small ears and earplugs tend to fall out (because they're too big). I'm assuming the converse problem might not be for people with larger ears, though maybe not. Cotton wool isn't dangerous if you use a large enough lump, I've been recommended to use it by doctors in the past.
I find most clubs have music stupidly loud, why not just have it at that nice volume where you can enjoy but also talk to folks without screaming. I worry for the bar staff mostly though, it must be damaging.

Past two times I've been out I've momentarily put my fingers in my ears and the relief is great. I only go out once or twice a semester but I'm taking ear plugs the next time, thanks for the idea! :smile:
No. How would I be able to talk to other humans if I were wearing ear plugs?

If a club is too loud just go somewhere else. I don't know why so many people go to clubs and bars and concerts and then complain that the music is too loud. If you don't like it go to a quieter, more intimate social gathering.
Reply 45
Ear plugs are a good idea. This is coming from a 22 year old with noise-induced hearing damage. I don't even go to clubs/shows any more because of this. Starting when I was 20 or so, I noticed that I'd always ask "pardon me?", "what was that you said?", etc. when speaking to people every day. It hit me that I might be deaf, so I went to get my ears checked out. That was last year. The result was "you have average hearing for someone between 30 and 40 years old". That was depressing.

So yeah, if you're going to shows, concerts, loud clubs, etc... try to bring a pair of plugs. You don't even have to wear them the whole time.
Reply 46
All the people laughing about the thought of using ear plugs are ****ing morons.

Loud noises hurt your ears. Fact. Even if you don't feel like its uncomfortable.

I played guitar loud as hell for 4 years, and now one of my ears (the one always facing the amp) is extremely sensitive. It actually hurts in clubs. I invested in some 'music earplugs' (to wear during band rehearsals etc. You still get a fuller sound, it's just not as harsh). Haven't worn ear plugs to clubs, though I wouldn't be adverse to (some clubs I've been to have been ridiculously loud).
Reply 47
I used to go to a lot of gigs and I developed Tinnitus. It's a bit crap, I'd never heard of it and didn't give going a second thought; I had no idea you could damage your ears in this way. So yeah, now I have it and it sucks frankly. I know people that go far more than me and don't have it though, so I suppose certain people have different levels of tolerance.
Original post by James4d
All the people laughing about the thought of using ear plugs are ****ing morons.

Lol, Wearing earplugs in a night club is roughly equivalent to wearing a blindfold in a cinema. If you're that concerned about your hearing don't go. If you are willing to neck your own bodyweight in alcohol then you should be able to handle the relatively small risk of developing a minor hearing problem. :rolleyes:
I tried it once because my ears ring for a day or so after going out, which isn't good! I then realised that I couldn't hear a thing anybody said and a few hours, and a few drinks later my plug fell out into my drink, disgusting. If my ears weren't strangely small, causing them to fall out every 2 seconds then I think I'd use them all the time.
I can't believe people actually wear earplugs to clubs (I'm not saying you shouldn't, I just didn't expect anyone to say they did)! I've never even considered damage to my ears when I'm in a club - seems trivial compared to the amount of alcohol and cigarettes I consume. I've never noticed ringing in my ears after clubbing like I do after gigs though, so it can't be that bad.
Reply 51
Depends what night club.

I went to The Syndicate in Blackpool to hear Armin Van Buuren perform, and I wish I had ear plugs. That place was too loud, and I worried for days about my hearing as it was taking a while to come back.

Standard clubs are fine. I've not had an issue in 5th ave, or some of the other places I go.
Reply 52
Original post by Mysteries
No. How would I be able to talk to other humans if I were wearing ear plugs?

If a club is too loud just go somewhere else. I don't know why so many people go to clubs and bars and concerts and then complain that the music is too loud. If you don't like it go to a quieter, more intimate social gathering.

Psilocybe_frog
Lol, Wearing earplugs in a night club is roughly equivalent to wearing a blindfold in a cinema. If you're that concerned about your hearing don't go. If you are willing to neck your own bodyweight in alcohol then you should be able to handle the relatively small risk of developing a minor hearing problem.

Clearly neither of you understand how ear plugs work - they uniformly reduce sound pressure. You still hear everything that is going on - just at a lower volume.
Original post by Captain Haddock
Aha, some know-it-all teenager posting snarky comments in a life advice forum, now that is cute.

Reply 54
Original post by fnm
Your hearing can't ever be corrected or fixed like eyesight with glasses ha. Even if you did have some form of cochlear implant or 'robot ears' your hearing would still never be the same. In fact most people who have implants complain that voices are more robotic sounding than human...

Honestly so many people will have hearing aids in the future it's crazy. Tbh people should wear them at clubs but people never will.

Not now.

But in the future.... :colonhash:
Reply 55
Original post by twelve
Wow, this makes me glad I'm learning sign language.

Tbh, when I read this first I was like 'NO HAHA, WHO WEARS EAR PLUGS TO CLUBS' but I'm thinking twice about it now. Stuff like this isn't publicised enough.

Although having said that, I doubt I'll start wearing earplugs, but like has been said, I'll go outside for a break more often and make sure I'm well away from the speakers. I guess I've had it a couple of times maybe, where I get a slight ringing in my ears, but its never bothered me.

Lol this, at first like troll? then i was like wtf pass me the earplugs (although i dont go clubbing that much anyway.
Original post by Mad Vlad
Clearly neither of you understand how ear plugs work - they uniformly reduce sound pressure. You still hear everything that is going on - just at a lower volume.

Sorryyyyyy Mr Physics
Reply 57
Original post by James A
Sorryyyyyy Mr Physics

I'm an engineer, not a physicist :fyi:
Reply 58
Original post by astros4ws
Think you'll find that the power of modern amplification in clubs now is far louder than anything your Mum would have experienced 20/30/40 years ago.

You think?

Look at some of the sound systems used by ravers in the 80s and 90s. Trucks filled with amps and speakers. I dare say average clubs are probably louder now, but they had some serious hardware back then.

Anyway dont you go to gigs, clubs and DJ sets to hear the MUSIC? Hence why I refuse to wear earplugs, having just paid money to listen to it.
Reply 59
Original post by Mad Vlad

They dont, actually. Its very common to get earplugs which are designed to remove certain frequencies and let you hear others. Usually taking away high or low frequencies and leaving the mids - so you can hear people talking in industrial environments while cancelling out the machine sounds in the background.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending