The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Nursing at Queens...

Scroll to see replies

Hi Lilo27, I got an offer from magee and I come from South western Ireland and have four children. Im almost 36 and will be living up in derry during class and placements and going home around that so Im sure it was'nt the distance from the college.

The interviewers even seemed quite impressed that I travelled up day before interview and stayed in a bed and breakfast. I was an hour early then for interview, lol, as I had no idea where I was going and was panicing about being late!!!
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Original post by nicoleio
it may be around 21000 a year to begin with as i know nurses who earn a lott more than that! you can move up within it, an can add to it. how come you applied for nursing???

i have applied for social work as well, had my interview over a month ago now. scary having to make a decision out of them all!

Experience and a practice run for my Midwifery interview. The majority of my access class last year applied to study Nursing at Queens 10 in total and 7 have left. I know nurses who have just graduated and are working in care homes the likely hood of getting a job hospital based is slim and the waiting list is exhausting. If I dont get an offer for Midwifery I would have gone down Adult Nursing route and then apply for 18 month Midwifery programme this programme is being phased out.

3 girls in my access class were offered places for the Social Work degree at Queens Sept 2011 and love it. The money when you qualify is 23000 and goes right up to 35000. I genuinely believe the majority of applicants apply due to the free bursary thats awarded. Extremely competitive to get into due to the volume of applicants applying. This was not always the case.

Anyhow goodluck and I hope you get offers for both Social Work and Nursing at Queens x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3182
Original post by skint flint
Experience and a practice run for my Midwifery interview. The majority of my access class last year applied to study Nursing at Queens 10 in total and 7 have left. I know nurses who have just graduated and are working in care homes the likely hood of getting a job hospital based is slim and the waiting list is exhausting. If I dont get an offer for Midwifery I would have gone down Adult Nursing route and then apply for 18 month Midwifery programme this programme is being phased out.

3 girls in my access class were offered places for the Social Work degree at Queens Sept 2011 and love it. The money when you qualify is 23000 and goes right up to 35000. I genuinely believe the majority of applicants apply due to the free bursary thats awarded. Extremely competitive to get into due to the volume of applicants applying. This was not always the case.

Anyhow goodluck and I hope you get offers for both Social Work and Nursing at Queens x

yes fingers crossed for you for midwifery :smile: n thank you! xo
Reply 3183
it may be around 21000 a year to begin with as i know nurses who earn a lott more than that! you can move up within it, an can add to it. how come you applied for nursing???

i have applied for social work as well, had my interview over a month ago now. scary having to make a decision out of them all!

Don't think nursing is something you go into for the money, it's a very special job and I for one feel so priveledged to be a part of it.
Good luck to everyone waiting to hear, I'm sure it won't be long now. x
Reply 3184
Original post by kat33
Don't think nursing is something you go into for the money, it's a very special job and I for one feel so priveledged to be a part of it.

lol i think you have misunderstood the convo. this is the last reason i want to get a career in this sector! i have personal reasons and it is what im truly passionate about. i was just stating that someone saying 21000 in a negative manner and that waiting list exhausted etcc, would not dishearten or put me off.
Original post by kat33

You need to make a living some way or another...why study for a degree and work shifts galore and come only come out with the same gross pay a year as a call centre worker getting nearly 25000 working in a well known bank.

Nurses are at the bottom of the scale they dont get the same respect as other health professionals and thats a sad fact. Your right in saying that it is a special role an you should feel priviledged its others that dont look at the vocation in the same light. Each to their own x
Reply 3186
Original post by Lilo27
I didn't get a place I'm so gutted I felt my interview went really well so I've no hope of getting into queens :frown:

i didn't either :frown: boooooo!!! i feel like that too
Original post by Scoachie
i didn't either :frown: boooooo!!! i feel like that too

Mee too! :frown:
Reply 3188
Original post by catherinec18

Mee too! :frown:

:frown: I'm sorry to hear that! It sucks :frown:
Original post by Scoachie
:frown: I'm sorry to hear that! It sucks :frown:

Totally, plus i know i didmt do well in my queens interview so i will be applying again nxt yr! :rolleyes:
Reply 3190
im really confused about finance!! anyone help???
do we apply for student finance? to cover the cost of course fees :s-smilie: ive heard all sorts of different things!! as far as i was aware the course was paid for and then was bursary based :s-smilie:

xx
im really confused about finance!! anyone help???
do we apply for student finance? to cover the cost of course fees :s-smilie: ive heard all sorts of different things!! as far as i was aware the course was paid for and then was bursary based :s-smilie:

xx

Hi

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the NHS still pay the full fees for the course. Also there's an extra non-means tested bursary for uniform, books etc.
I have heard you apply for this once you get an offer but don't know exactly how to apply for it though sorry.

I applied for student finance for a back up course in another area of science, just wondering if any one done the same and if they get accepted onto nursing, what happens to the finance application? That was done through UCAS.
Had my interview with Queen's today for Adult Nursing and I feel like I could puke! :wink: I hate having wrecked nerves after interviews. I'm the kind who spend the rest of the evening second guessing their answers! :redface:\ Good luck to everyone!
Reply 3193
Original post by noodlefrax
Had my interview with Queen's today for Adult Nursing and I feel like I could puke! :wink: I hate having wrecked nerves after interviews. I'm the kind who spend the rest of the evening second guessing their answers! :redface:\ Good luck to everyone!

Know how you feel, at least we're all in the same boat xx
so not long now to we hear! Feeling quite nervous! I know it will be unsuccessful as my interview was dreadful! But i can live in hope lol
Reply 3195
Is it early may when you hear?
Im not sure! It just said May... hopefully earlier rather than later! lol ;-)
Reply 3197
I know I just really want to know now if I'm in or not!! :-)
Reply 3198
ive rang a few times, think theyre getting lots of people calling, said end of may.... but that's prob latest tho could be over a few weeks, i reckon mid-may to start of june we should all know... 8 weeks tomro since my interview... that is waaaaaay too long lol
Reply 3199
anyone know is interviews are still going on????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending