The Student Room Group

Taking parents to university open days?

Scroll to see replies

I went on my own to an open day in England (I'm from Northern Ireland and could only afford to fo to one). I'm glad I did, because it meant I got over the intimidation factor before my interview and I got talking to a lot of people. I think it's a good thing, but it's down to you :smile:
Original post by mollyf
Apologies if this has already been done, but I'd like to hear other peoples' opinions and experience on taking parents to open days, or rather not doing so.

I've seen a lot of support reassuring people that it is ok to take their parents, but would it make me 'weird' for going alone? My parents are happy to ferry me along so I don't get lost and then skulk off whilst I 'do my thing' at the event, or are equally happy to join in too. It's not that I don't want their opinions, they're pretty chilled about it all and are not pushy like I hear some are, it just might be nice to do it alone. I don't know really, this is why I want your opinions!

Also, if anyone has any experience at Manchester or Edinburgh schools of art (particularly for fashion design) any input on those would be great! Thanks.

ALSO ALSO
I'm new here so more apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum! If I have could you please notify me of where it should be :--)

Why not take your parents to the first open day, and see how it goes. If you feel that they got in your way, or no one else went with their parents, then you dont have to take them to the next open day you go to. Whereas, if you find that they are a big help, giving you support and advice etc, then take them along next time.
Also, you dont have to take both parents if you dont want, you can just take one (either your mum or your dad) if you think that will be better.
Reply 22
I only went to one open day which was organised by my college. But I can see a number of positives: cost and logistical issues are less likely to be a problem; you can get them to ask awkward questions (or they see problems you do not); and they can offer a second opinion, particularly if they went to university themselves.
Reply 23
Original post by Emma:-)
Why not take your parents to the first open day, and see how it goes. If you feel that they got in your way, or no one else went with their parents, then you dont have to take them to the next open day you go to. Whereas, if you find that they are a big help, giving you support and advice etc, then take them along next time.
Also, you dont have to take both parents if you dont want, you can just take one (either your mum or your dad) if you think that will be better.

Thanks! Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. I'll drag them around Manchester and then if it doesn't go so well, well, they said they wouldn't mind having a day out in Edinburgh whilst I go round the college ;--)
Reply 24
Original post by medbh4805
I went on my own to an open day in England (I'm from Northern Ireland and could only afford to fo to one). I'm glad I did, because it meant I got over the intimidation factor before my interview and I got talking to a lot of people. I think it's a good thing, but it's down to you :smile:

Yeah, that was a thing I was considering. Going on my own would allow me to kind of 'get in there' and force myself to get over that intimidation. I think I'm going to take them to the first and see how it goes from there.
Reply 25
Original post by *Joanna*
From their perspective, it might be nice for them to see where you could be living for three years (before you make a firm decision). Parents often spot more practical things that you might not in your excitement as they have different priorities, mainly ensuring that you're safe and healthy, e.g. yes the halls are lovely but they're five miles from lectures and there's no bus routes.

I went to some open days with a friend, another couple with just my mum, another with a teacher and some other students, and I went to the Cambridge one with my mum, dad and sister. I wasn't the only one that had their whole family there either! I think they might find it exciting too, particularly if you're the first of your siblings to go to university, or they didn't go themselves.

I'm the only child so they're pretty excited. My dad was all "go it alone if you want it's your choice" but my mum's pretty excited and I think she really does want to come along. She never went to university so I think she's more intrigued, and maybe more wary of the whole experience. Thanks for your input!
My Dad came with me to all of the universities we visited.

Most people I saw were with their parents.
Reply 27
Original post by confusedexcited
i'd personally actually reccomend not going to open days with your parents. Though they often ask insightful questions, these can be counter-weighted by the way that you somehow become more introverted when you're with parents.

It's quite hard to explain, but if you go on your tod the way that you're alone forces you to ask questions, and to approach other prospective students confidently. This, I think, allows for you to get a better feel for the university and the kind of student you'd be sharing it with. :smile:

That's actually worth considering, thank you! I understand what you mean, and I can actually see that kind of situation arising. I think I'll take them to the first at least, and perhaps actively try to avoid that. I'll see how it goes. Thank you!
Reply 28
Thank you everyone for your input! It's really given me more of an understanding of open days- I mean beforehand I had no idea what to expect. I think I have a plan sorted now, thank you.
Reply 29
I usually value my parents opinion a lot on matters like these. Especially my Mum who usually has a good insight and knows what I'm looking for. We have very similar opinions and so having a second is quite helpful. Aside from that I get driven up there and free lunch! Most people will take their parents with them.
Reply 30
I went to most of them with my mum, only a couple I went on my own. It's nice to have some company and another opinion on the universities aswell. Most people go with their parents :smile:
I took my parents to the open days I was serious about, and went to a few local ones with friends more to rule them out than anything. I think it's nice that your parents can see where you'll be studying, and it's always good to have company while you're there!
Take them if they're willing and available, it's good way to get them involved with the big decision you're going to have to make :smile:
Reply 33
Take your parents, as this might be their only opportunity to see the uni you're going to! Its not a chance to make friends, so going on your own could be a little lonely and it'll probably be nice to get their opinions as well!
Reply 34
I didn't take my mum to any uni open days. She made enough of a fuss about taking me to my college open day.
For parents who have no experience of the university system, haven't been to university themselves and want to know what they'll be spending money on, it's fair enough that they go and attend the relevant talks.

That said, they shouldn't mollycoddle their offspring and should let them go about their business on their own. I think it's much better to allow your son/daughter to get the train, figure out where to go and to sort things out by themselves. It's a small step in the road to independence and will start to gradually prepare you for uni.

(Though there are some people that genuinely like doing things of this nature with their parents, if that's you, feel free. No-one will judge you.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mollyf
Apologies if this has already been done, but I'd like to hear other peoples' opinions and experience on taking parents to open days, or rather not doing so.

I've seen a lot of support reassuring people that it is ok to take their parents, but would it make me 'weird' for going alone? My parents are happy to ferry me along so I don't get lost and then skulk off whilst I 'do my thing' at the event, or are equally happy to join in too. It's not that I don't want their opinions, they're pretty chilled about it all and are not pushy like I hear some are, it just might be nice to do it alone. I don't know really, this is why I want your opinions!

Also, if anyone has any experience at Manchester or Edinburgh schools of art (particularly for fashion design) any input on those would be great! Thanks.

ALSO ALSO
I'm new here so more apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum! If I have could you please notify me of where it should be :--)

If you want people to laugh at you then go for it, people will say 'How will she cope at University if she can't even go to an open day alone?' . Also you don't want to have a reputation BEFORE you even go to the university.
No. I never did that.....a bit too awkward for me :p:
I took my dad along to all my open days. It was just nice to get a feel for each place with him, and although the decision was ultimately of course entirely my own, it was nice to get his opinion on things as well. It also brought me and my dad closer together in a weird sort of way - it's not normally him who goes through this stuff with me, it used to be my mum, so it was a nice change.
I had a mixture; my dad took me to some and I went to others on my own. I don't think it really matters, but it did make me laugh when some prospective students didn't ask a single question but their parents didn't shut up.

Quick Reply

Latest