The Student Room Group

The Lone Traveller's Base / TSR Travel Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuperStarr1
I'm thinking of travelling to NYC/Miami and maybe LA in late July/early August.. Think I might get bored on my own though! Anyone up for coming? :smile:

I'm travelling around America in the summer and will be in NYC in late July :smile:
Reply 121
Original post by rufus_da_bear
Hey guys! Im heading out to Tunisia this summer for an internship for 3 months. Only have to do 30 hours work a week so gonna travel places quite a bit in my time off! Anyone got any advice for the lone female in an arabic country? Done plenty of travelling before but never alone! Im excited anyway.

Sorry I can't really help you but just wanted to say that sounds pretty awesome! How did you manage to get that? Do you have any more info, like maybe a link?:colondollar:
Original post by Zubby77
Sorry I can't really help you but just wanted to say that sounds pretty awesome! How did you manage to get that? Do you have any more info, like maybe a link?:colondollar:

its with IAESTE, the deadline for application has already gone this year and if you want to do it next year you have to apply by november!
Reply 123
Original post by rufus_da_bear
its with IAESTE, the deadline for application has already gone this year and if you want to do it next year you have to apply by november!

Oh ok thanks :smile:
Can anyone recommend me a decently priced WHEELED backpack?
Just come back from a two week UK backpack trip.. which was mainly in Scotland and Northern Ireland! I had a pretty amazing time.. only rubbish point was when my phone was stolen in Edinburgh :frown: I saw lots of things and met some incredible people (it's amazing how many people you meet along the way, and it's definitely easier when you're there on your own). Only thing is now, I desperately want to go somewhere during half term (beginning of June).. so currently thinking of booking a flight to Dublin, ha! :biggrin:
Reply 126
Just booked a one way flight to Melbourne on 31st December. It's going to be strange travelling on NYE and then starting a new year in a brand new country.
Reply 127
I'd love to travel - so many places I want to see but now i've graduated my full-time job takes up most of my time!

I'm getting to the stage where I am wanting to use my holiday time to do something productive and travel.

I've never been to Scotland or Wales, for example (yes, I know, terrible!) and I also want to explore Europe (interrailing?!) and then further afield such as Canada, USA (West Coast especially!), Thailand and Australia.

My big plan is to travel round Aus for 6 months with a friend in late 2013/2014 but i'm seriously considering Europe late this summer. Bit of a scary prospect though, going alone!

Also, may go up to Scotland at some point - do you stay in hostels to meet other people, or meet them whilst camping?
I think it's about time i join this thread! I am a bit of a seasoned traveller, work and play abroad.
I'm working in Nepal all June if anyone is there?? And thinking about Australia as of December unless I've got a job else where :smile:
Reply 129
Original post by SuperStarr1
I'm thinking of travelling to NYC/Miami and maybe LA in late July/early August.. Think I might get bored on my own though! Anyone up for coming? :smile:

Ah don't tempt me, that sounds amazing!
Allow making a thread for it so I'll just post here.

I'm in the middle of 'planning' a Euro trip for me and a friend; ideally he'll flop so I can go on my own cos tbh, I don't think he's even into seeing the sights and appreciating different cultures like myself. :smug: Not really fussed about going alone either since I can just do things myself and not be judged for my....cost-cutting measures. And I know I'll end up meeting folk at hostels anyways.

Currently thinking of hitting Paris, Bruges, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Rome and Barcelona (in that order) around August since I'll be in Zante in July. :colondollar: :colonhash: Was hoping I can get it done in under 3 weeks, don't have a budget but I'll still be looking to cut costs wherever I can.

Which is why I'm thinking of megabus'ing it through England to Amsterdam.. then I'll just train it. How viable is this? And how the hell would I get from Rome to Barcelona? Ferry? People keep telling me to scout cities on the way to Spain but allow that, I think I'm seeing too much in little time as it is.

And if the megabus idea is a **** one, has anyone used busabout? Would that be better? Or interrailing? I've always thought the latter wasn't value for money but I'm starting to think otherwise.

Sorry for the novella, any help is appreciated. :pierre:
Anyone travelling in or around Thailand this summer? Planning to spend a couple of months there solo so would be up for a night out or two! :smile:
Reply 132
Original post by skinnyminny
Anyone travelling in or around Thailand this summer? Planning to spend a couple of months there solo so would be up for a night out or two! :smile:

For all the culture and other interesting things to do, 2 months in SE Asia last year involved more beer than 3 years combined at university.

19368229.jpg
Just done a ski season - my liver needs a well-deserved rest!
Original post by Ciccina
I love this society! :woo:

I'm really fond of traveling, so many places I want to see, but I've always been held back by the lack of travel partners...my closest girl friends are not much into it, or travel with their boyfriends, and my male friends, well let's just say that it's complicated :rolleyes: I hoped I could do some traveling with my own bf, but.

So here I go! I've decided I'll travel alone, under false pretenses (study/work). That way I don't have to explain and also will have sth fun to do :biggrin:

I want to travel to Germany (asap)...who has already been there and has some advice? :smile:

Hi there,

Im also interested in seeing Germany, im thinking about going to Berlin sometime this year.
Original post by sophiemay20
Just come back from a two week UK backpack trip.. which was mainly in Scotland and Northern Ireland! I had a pretty amazing time.. only rubbish point was when my phone was stolen in Edinburgh :frown: I saw lots of things and met some incredible people (it's amazing how many people you meet along the way, and it's definitely easier when you're there on your own). Only thing is now, I desperately want to go somewhere during half term (beginning of June).. so currently thinking of booking a flight to Dublin, ha! :biggrin:

I considered doing something similar.

where did you stay at nights?

How much did it cost in total if I may ask?
Currently planning a trip to Ireland in June.. 34 days from now, eee! I only have a week there so thinking of just going to Cork, Galway and Dublin.

Original post by bloomblaze
I considered doing something similar.

where did you stay at nights?

How much did it cost in total if I may ask?

You should do it! :smile:
I stayed in hostels every night, bar one time, where I booked a single room at a guest house in Glasgow just so I could recharge my batteries and get some decent amount of sleep!

I only have a rough idea of how much it all cost me.. accommodation cost me around £240. Not bad considering it was 13 nights all together, it would probably be triple or more that amount if I stayed in hotels. I spent around £170 on transport to each place, and that's including my flight home from Belfast (which I booked about a month before I went). Managed to get a lot of amazing deals on transport actually. Spent barely a thing (maybe £20..) on food as some of the hostels had a free breakfast and I'd just have sweets, fruit and a bowl of my own pasta or rice in the evenings, alcohol on the other hand.. I went out a lot with people I'd met and spent around £90+ on that, haha! Spent £26 on two tours (a Scottish highlands tour and a tour of the Giant's Causeway). I did laundry three times and that cost £6 all together. Didn't buy many souvenirs, but I probs spent around £25 on them. So yeah, if I add all them figures up I'd say around £550. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 137
Hey guys. I'm going on a gap year and I've got a job starting from July until the end of December which should net me around £10k as well as some generous 'charity' from my dad :p: I just have NO idea what to do or where to go, etc.. A bit lost and any ideas would be great. I'm actually applying to medical school so I also don't want to be away during the interview season.
Original post by Tucking Fypo
Allow making a thread for it so I'll just post here.

I'm in the middle of 'planning' a Euro trip for me and a friend; ideally he'll flop so I can go on my own cos tbh, I don't think he's even into seeing the sights and appreciating different cultures like myself. :smug: Not really fussed about going alone either since I can just do things myself and not be judged for my....cost-cutting measures. And I know I'll end up meeting folk at hostels anyways.

Currently thinking of hitting Paris, Bruges, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Rome and Barcelona (in that order) around August since I'll be in Zante in July. :colondollar: :colonhash: Was hoping I can get it done in under 3 weeks, don't have a budget but I'll still be looking to cut costs wherever I can.

Which is why I'm thinking of megabus'ing it through England to Amsterdam.. then I'll just train it. How viable is this? And how the hell would I get from Rome to Barcelona? Ferry? People keep telling me to scout cities on the way to Spain but allow that, I think I'm seeing too much in little time as it is.

And if the megabus idea is a **** one, has anyone used busabout? Would that be better? Or interrailing? I've always thought the latter wasn't value for money but I'm starting to think otherwise.

Sorry for the novella, any help is appreciated. :pierre:

I took a Megabus to Amsterdam for £4 each way last week. As soon as I got back I booked another ticket on a Megabus to 'Dam again, where I'll be starting my Interrail journey! Megabus is great, As comfy as a coach gets with a toilet and Wifi in the UK (working on in europe) Don't hesitate, book it!
Original post by pizzle223
I took a Megabus to Amsterdam for £4 each way last week. As soon as I got back I booked another ticket on a Megabus to 'Dam again, where I'll be starting my Interrail journey! Megabus is great, As comfy as a coach gets with a toilet and Wifi in the UK (working on in europe) Don't hesitate, book it!

:rofl2: finally somebody responds. :angry:

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go for it. Decided to cut the other cities and just do Paris-Bruges-Amsterdam. No way would I have had a feel for every city in my original plan.

I did hear about the wifi going out once you near France but that doesn't bother me. You get what you pay for really.

Quick Reply

Latest