The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham University Broadband

Hi all I've firmed Nottingham for Computer Science and now I need a bit of inside info.
I'm wondering how the internet speeds/connection is at the university, specifically Raleigh Park if possible.
Has anyone had experience with online gaming or tried it on the university network?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
on campus its absolutely shocking,
no idea bout spc
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by gunneroy
on campus its absolutely shocking,
no idea bout spc

SPC?! He said Raleigh Park. Chances are it'll be a bit better off-campus and may have options to upgrade like at SPC...not cheap though! I've asked a current resident of SPC what it's like there so your best bet is to find a Raleigh Park resident and ask them.
Raleigh Park isn't too bad. Nothing special but I never really suffered outages or had to wait to stream things. Not sure of the speeds - it's been a few years since I lived there but it was decent.

On campus you're fine in the labs but connecting and staying connected to the wireless is somewhat complex and nobody actually knows why it doesn't actually work.

High five for being a future compsci!
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies, just heard from someone that SPC is off the university network and that the university network blocks almost everything. So that sounds like a plus!
Reply 5
I have nottingham as my first choice for Computer Science as well :biggrin:
I hope the broadband is up to standard as where i live at the moment we can't get landline broadband, we have satellite broadband which has only 4gb of data usage and bout 2 seconds of lag, so anything is an improvement :biggrin:
I have applied for private accommodation which claims 8 Mbps wireless if that helps :smile:
Original post by EN_32
Thanks for the replies, just heard from someone that SPC is off the university network and that the university network blocks almost everything. So that sounds like a plus!

St Peters Court has its own connection but Raleigh Park is definitely connected to the uni network.
Reply 7
Raleigh Park connection is subject to same firewall restrictions as main campus. Gaming is not actively blocked but if a game need specific ports to update/play then you might find these are not open. IT wont open ports on the firewall for gaming.

Some services (like Xbox Live) are known to have problems.

There is also traffic management applied to certain things.
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/is/connect/sns/conditionsofuse.aspx

Essentially, don't expect the SNS to work the same as a home ISP.
Reply 8
I've heard that the uni network blocks updates on Xbox Live for sure. Not sure about PlayStation Network. Playing both online, unlike other universities, should be absolutely fine. However, SPC just uses a straightforward network via StudentCom...all I know is that when you arrive you need to create a StudentCom account so whether doing so means you need to login on the device when you first connect it or not I dunno...shouldn't do I hope!
Reply 9
Hearing this I'm very glad I have booked Private accommodation with Manor villages :biggrin: seeing as I have a PS3 :biggrin:
Reply 10
I've put down SPC as number 1, thanks for the help all :smile:
I'm also doing Computer Science and staying in SPC next year. The tenancy agreement email says broadband is 4mbps standard and is upgradable. Also let me know if you end up in spec flat 14. I'm trying to find people I'll be living with lol. Hope that helped!
Reply 12
I find uni park incredible!

I honestly got 90mbps once!
90!

It's usually around 60 and if you want to download proper things it usually runs at 10mbps (unless the website you're downloading it off is poo).

If you use Torr Browser to get on sites you're not allowed on then it obviously slows down quite a bit.
Reply 13
Original post by Jeester
I find uni park incredible!

I honestly got 90mbps once!
90!

It's usually around 60 and if you want to download proper things it usually runs at 10mbps (unless the website you're downloading it off is poo).

If you use Torr Browser to get on sites you're not allowed on then it obviously slows down quite a bit.

90mbps isn't your internet speed lol. It'll more than likely be your data connection rate (ethernet cable is generally 100 mbps). Fastest consumer level broadband is 100 Mb so having that at UP for students is phenomenally unlikely. UP will be more like 2 Mb.

Also, using any sort of P2P service on the student network will see you banned permanently...then how will you get on Facebook and Twitter all day every day?!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by scbond
90mbps isn't your internet speed lol. It'll more than likely be your data connection rate (ethernet cable is generally 100 mbps). Fastest consumer level broadband is 100 Mb so having that at UP for students is phenomenally unlikely. UP will be more like 2 Mb.

Also, using any sort of P2P service on the student network will see you banned permanently...then how will you get on Facebook and Twitter all day every day?!

Honestle. I went on speed test.com... And I have downloaded stuff at 10mbps... (like movies and the like).
And I do not use P2Ps.
I'm not silly!
Reply 15
How?! The campus accommodation doesn't have anything near that in terms of speed. I think you're getting confused with millibits per second and not megabits per second.

And you suggested using Tor Browser, which I assume is to get onto sites such as those providing P2P.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
http://comms.nottingham.ac.uk/sns/2011/12/05/internet-use-for-november-2011/

Conclusions I draw from this: if you want fast internet on the SNS, use it between 3 and 9am!

The university does have a pretty fast connection. See speedtest result in my sig. (I believe the SNS itself is deliberately traffic managed in order not to impact on the rest of the university, however.)
Reply 17
Original post by alex-hs
http://comms.nottingham.ac.uk/sns/2011/12/05/internet-use-for-november-2011/

Conclusions I draw from this: if you want fast internet on the SNS, use it between 3 and 9am!

The university does have a pretty fast connection. See speedtest result in my sig. (I believe the SNS itself is deliberately traffic managed in order not to impact on the rest of the university, however.)

That link just shows the bandwidth, not actual individual connection speed?!
Reply 18
Original post by Addam Martin
I'm also doing Computer Science and staying in SPC next year. The tenancy agreement email says broadband is 4mbps standard and is upgradable. Also let me know if you end up in spec flat 14. I'm trying to find people I'll be living with lol. Hope that helped!

Sounds cool man, I'll let you know when it comes through :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Jeester
Honestle. I went on speed test.com... And I have downloaded stuff at 10mbps... (like movies and the like).
And I do not use P2Ps.
I'm not silly!

According to the university website itself it says most forms of traffic are throttled to 2Mbps which is pretty awful! I think my phone internet is faster than that ._.

Quick Reply

Latest