The Student Room Group

Fox news in the UK.

Watching the Leveson enquiry I saw that James Murdoch wants to set up a fox news style news channel in the UK.

I'm not sure on others thoughts but personally I find the idea abhorrent. I have seen Fox news in the US and their counterpart MSNBC and the massive bipartisan focus warps points to the point of lying. I cannot see any benefit that this could bring to the British public other than the politicians that buddy up with the organisation.

What are your views?

Scroll to see replies

It already exists, it's called SkyNews:h: Have you ever watched that tripe!:biggrin:

I don't think they could get away with it because Ofcom would keep them in order. We have much more regulation than America when it comes to things like this. Also, our broadcasters are all supposed to be politically disinterested, I think.
(edited 11 years ago)
It wouldnt work. We wouldnt take it. It would get hacked within a day or two and turned into one big piss take...like the gifs in your sig.
Reply 3
We can always do with another comedy channel....
Reply 4
Original post by SpiggyTopes
It already exists, it's called SkyNews:h: Have you ever watched that tripe!:biggrin:

It is awful but under James Murdochs plan the press wouldn't be held to any degree of impartiality. It would go from being a farce to becoming a powerful joke (like the sun).
Reply 5
We already have it, it's called The BBC.
Reply 6
Thanks James Murdoch. We all need a bit of Fox News brainwashing, propaganda pushing, lies-shoved-down-our-throats in our lives.
Reply 7
So a TV Daily Mail? My god.

Going by paper circulations people would most likely actually watch something like that too...
I like watching Fox, it's one of the best comedy shows all round really. I mean when they say "fair and balanced" all the time I almost piss myself laughing.

I remember being in the states and North Korea had just tested a ballistic missile that could reach alaska or san fran (I think) and Fox put the local pumpkin chuckin' competition on before that. Epic.
Faux News.
Reply 10
Fox is terrible. But I trust the sensible, well educated British people to take its nonsense for exactly what it is.

I remember being in America when the 2006 tsunami hit, it took ages for any of it to appear on the news and when it did Fox had the tiniest piece of information on it and then switched straight onto the subject of 'What would happen if a Tsunami hit the West Coast'? Awful.
Reply 11
sky news is not remotely as bad as fox news
Reply 12
Murdoch is a businessman, he fills in markets holes and his done this pretty well. Unlike the US, we don't have a heavily religious population hence it would take a different approach. Hence, I don't see the problem with it. Anyway, fox news isn't all that bad try watching it for a day or two straight and you'd realize this, it's the personalities they bring that are bad (e.g. Bill O riley/Glenn Beck etc) who are bad.

If people want to watch it, let them
Reply 13
I consider the DM to be worse than Fox News.
Reply 14
Original post by Roaroaroar
Murdoch is a businessman, he fills in markets holes and his done this pretty well. Unlike the US, we don't have a heavily religious population hence it would take a different approach. Hence, I don't see the problem with it. Anyway, fox news isn't all that bad try watching it for a day or two straight and you'd realize this, it's the personalities they bring that are bad (e.g. Bill O riley/Glenn Beck etc) who are bad.

If people want to watch it, let them

The effect that they have other than filling a market niche is that they have a disproportionate effect on the political system.
Reply 15
We need more new comedy on tv other than cheesy sitcoms and repetitive sketch shows.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i
Original post by Aaron_xyz
I consider the DM to be worse than Fox News.

DM is bad, but not as bad as Faux News.
Fox News?

Emm, I'll stick with BBC kkthxbai.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
If it means we then have the excuse for a UK version of The Daily Show then I'm all for it.
even if they did, they wouldn't get away with it being like US fox news.

Quick Reply