The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

But Modric plays deeper than Sigurdsson would?
Reply 1981
Original post by Zerforax
Do Spurs expect VDV to leave or something?

Original post by L18
Modric will be the one to leave I'd say.

Well I expect Modric to be the one to leave, but Sigurdsson doesn't strike me as a player that can replace Modric. He's very much in the VDV mould, IMO.

I'll be slightly disappointed if he does choose Spurs, but it's not exactly the end of the world.
Both VDV and Modric are leaving.

Sigurddson will be VDV's replacement and they'll sign another player as Modric's replacement.
Tbh in part we need to stop tinkering so much and get a solid settled squad.

Maybe we'll just keep Aquilani now if Sigurddson signs for Spurs.

Anyway, we've seen England get knocked out of the Euros. We had Downing, Kelly, Henderson, Gerrard, Johnson and Carroll in the squad.

Gerrard and Johnson were both very good imo and will need some time to rest having played 4 tiring games. Henderson and Carroll had some involvement and no doubt will be happy they played some part, even if minor.

Downing and Kelly had no involvement, just training so they should be fine.

Think the Liverpool contingent did themselves no harm in the Euros. I would say that the Man Utd players were worse (Rooney, Young, Welbeck though he did okay)
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Both VDV and Modric are leaving.

Sigurddson will be VDV's replacement and they'll sign another player as Modric's replacement.

I see Spurs are reverting back to their natural level of mediocrity then. :colone:
Reply 1985
Ben Smith now says Spurs are favourites to land Sig, guess its a waiting game then, we'll know for sure by 30th anyway.
Reply 1986
Original post by mr tim
Ben Smith now says Spurs are favourites to land Sig, guess its a waiting game then, we'll know for sure by 30th anyway.

Apparently Sigurdsson's agent was at Anfield all last night, so it definitely isn't over for us, although if you believe the rumours spurs are offering 20% more wages than we're offering or something close to that. Interesting to see what happens. We're also rumoured to have bid £15m for Gaston Ramires and are apparently willing to pay the €30m for Rodriguez. All twitter/tabloid talk though, I both love and hate this time of year
Reply 1987
Original post by Stirlo
Apparently Sigurdsson's agent was at Anfield all last night, so it definitely isn't over for us, although if you believe the rumours spurs are offering 20% more wages than we're offering or something close to that. Interesting to see what happens. We're also rumoured to have bid £15m for Gaston Ramires and are apparently willing to pay the €30m for Rodriguez. All twitter/tabloid talk though, I both love and hate this time of year

Just dislike how people on twitter takes these rumours seriously like we missed out/about to sign a player.
Reply 1988
Original post by mr tim
Just dislike how people on twitter takes these rumours seriously like we missed out/about to sign a player.

Yeh, that's silly season for you. I heard that all these rumours about Sigurdsson deciding on Spurs originated from a German tabloid, it's all just a guessing game for 99% of the journalists, very few are actually "itk". Duncan Jenkins has been quiet for a couple days now, waiting for him to say what's happening
Reply 1989
Original post by Stirlo
Yeh, that's silly season for you. I heard that all these rumours about Sigurdsson deciding on Spurs originated from a German tabloid, it's all just a guessing game for 99% of the journalists, very few are actually "itk". Duncan Jenkins has been quiet for a couple days now, waiting for him to say what's happening

seems that Duncan now came out and said something, not surprising though. Apparently its wages/offer.
Reply 1990
If Sigurdsson doesn't sign I hope we do go for Ramirez and Rodriguez although sadly I doubt we'll sign James. Would be brilliant though!

-----Gerrard---Lucas
-----------G Ramirez
Suarez----------------J Rodriguez
------------Carroll
Reply 1991
Original post by JF1903
If Sigurdsson doesn't sign I hope we do go for Ramirez and Rodriguez although sadly I doubt we'll sign James. Would be brilliant though!

-----Gerrard---Lucas
-----------G Ramirez
Suarez----------------J Rodriguez
------------Carroll

Ramirez plays on the wing as an inside forward I thought, not in the centre
Reply 1992
Slightly concerned about our financial clout if other teams have been able to offer a third more wages than us. It's not like Spurs are known for offering big wages either.

This was a common feature under Moores/H&G too, when we'd miss out on players for the sake of a couple million/a few thousand in wages. Happened with the likes of Simao, Vidic, Ronaldo, Joqauin, Alves etc
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1993
Original post by JamesR1993
I think Keisuke Honda would be a good shout to strengthen the midfield. Good quality, technical player that can attack and defend very well. Young and talented. What more is needed?

Could get him cheap off of Moscow aswell

Brilliant player, I'm still hoping that Arsenal will sign him out of the blue sometime in the near future. Only a year and a half left on his contract, so it is likely he will be available within the next 6 months/year.

Surprised to hear Sigurdsson is favouring a move to the spuds. Wrong descision imo (if it's true, of course) to move to a manager-less team that to replace one of 2 of their most influential players/midfielders; Modric and Van der Vaart. Liverpool seem more like a team on the rise than Spurs, but we'll reassess that view once Rodgers has actually spent some time with the team.
Reply 1994
Original post by Pn94
Slightly concerned about our financial clout if other teams have been able to offer a third more wages than us. It's not like Spurs are known for offering big wages either.

This was a common feature under Moores/H&G too, when we'd miss out on players for the sake of a couple million/a few thousand in wages. Happened with the likes of Simao, Vidic, Ronaldo, Joqauin, Alves etc

Agreed, I think the owners are trying to abide by the FFP too strictly. Maybe it's because of what happened last summer they are reluctant to invest again, which imo is wrong. Last summer we got rid of a lot of dead wood, but also bought in more dead wood on equal wages. We really need some much needed investment on decent players if we're to stand any chance of getting back amongst the top 4 places anytime soon. Chelsea are spending massively, arsenal have signed some very good players. City havent been active yet but you can guaruntee they will be and will be spending big. United have signed Kagawa and will spend this window. If Spurs are willing (and in fact Reading if you believe the rumours) to offer 20-30% more wages than we are for a player, that is very worrying. Can we not afford it or are we just being stingy ****s? We're in danger of being left adrift of those top spots, and the longer we are the less likely we'll be able to get back up there without huge money being poured into the club.
Reply 1995
Original post by Stirlo
Agreed, I think the owners are trying to abide by the FFP too strictly. Maybe it's because of what happened last summer they are reluctant to invest again, which imo is wrong. Last summer we got rid of a lot of dead wood, but also bought in more dead wood on equal wages. We really need some much needed investment on decent players if we're to stand any chance of getting back amongst the top 4 places anytime soon. Chelsea are spending massively, arsenal have signed some very good players. City havent been active yet but you can guaruntee they will be and will be spending big. United have signed Kagawa and will spend this window. If Spurs are willing (and in fact Reading if you believe the rumours) to offer 20-30% more wages than we are for a player, that is very worrying. Can we not afford it or are we just being stingy ****s? We're in danger of being left adrift of those top spots, and the longer we are the less likely we'll be able to get back up there without huge money being poured into the club.

Agree with that.

Seriously underwhelmed by this whole affair if he ends up at Spurs. It's not even like really big amounts of money are involved. Don't understand how we've seemingly cocked it up so badly, but it's normal for us unfortunately..
Reply 1996
Original post by Pn94
Agree with that.

Seriously underwhelmed by this whole affair if he ends up at Spurs. It's not even like really big amounts of money are involved. Don't understand how we've seemingly cocked it up so badly, but it's normal for us unfortunately..

If we go on assumptions i'd guess we'd be offering him around 40-50k pw? So thats like 15k extra spurs are willing to play. Can we really not afford that?
Reply 1997
More twitter gabble

Robin_LFC ‏@Robish13
#Sigurdsson will deicide by tomorrow morning . LFC or Spurs. New #LFC contract apparently offered today.

duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
@mosesbanner the contract offer mates. my #mole has told me the player has a much much better offer from #spurs. #lfc were certain.
Reply 1998
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18599310

Guess he's a Spurs player then, if he passes his medical I think.
Reply 1999
Original post by mr tim
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18599310

Guess he's a Spurs player then, if he passes his medical I think.

Looking that way, although our late new offer could change that. But that isn't a good start to the window if Spurs get him. There are many other options out there to play in that position but it doesn't bode well really

Latest