The Student Room Group

Waitrose Group Interview - Advice Needed Please!!

I've posted on the big Waitrose thread but haven't had a reply and I have my group interview later today. Just wondering if anyone may be able to offer any advice please on what to expect as I've had a quick look through some questions but this is my first interview so I'm really nervous :frown::frown:

Can anyone offer me any pointers/general advice please?? All help is very much appreciated :biggrin::biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They are not 2 bad actually, I had one last year and got the job. They will put you in to groups and just be yourself. They will ask you to introduce yourself to the group and then they will give you activities such team tasks, they gave us a Lego building task which we had to complete as a group etcc. Be confident and talkative as they want to see the real you. Good luck!
Original post by Cupcake16
I've posted on the big Waitrose thread but haven't had a reply and I have my group interview later today. Just wondering if anyone may be able to offer any advice please on what to expect as I've had a quick look through some questions but this is my first interview so I'm really nervous :frown::frown:

Can anyone offer me any pointers/general advice please?? All help is very much appreciated :biggrin::biggrin:

I had one a couple of years ago (prob 2 yrs) don't know if they are still the same but I enjoyed it

I had to introduce myself to the group, stand up and do it
Solve problems with a group of people they want to see how you work in a group
I had to sell a product. pick two items from a bag an with my partner and sell how you could use both of those items together.

then they give you a tour of the store

ask you what you know about waitrose

hope that helps
Reply 3
Thank you for the replies, they were really helpful. I had an e-mail yesterday saying I have been offered a position with them and to fill out the health questionairre.
Can anyone tell me when I may know about how many hours I will be doing please??. I selected 5 to 15 but can they go over this as it's Christmas temp?? Thanks
Reply 4
Firstly,congratulations!!!

Even I got group interview on Monday morning.Could you please share your experience and give some advice and tips.I would be really grateful.

Regards:smile:
Reply 5
Congratulations on getting the position :smile:

I have a group interview Friday afternoon, any tips/advice?

x
Original post by Cupcake16
Thank you for the replies, they were really helpful. I had an e-mail yesterday saying I have been offered a position with them and to fill out the health questionairre.
Can anyone tell me when I may know about how many hours I will be doing please??. I selected 5 to 15 but can they go over this as it's Christmas temp?? Thanks

Hi. I've got a group interview in a couple of weeks time and i just want to know what happens there?
Reply 7
Original post by 4 Moment Life
Hi. I've got a group interview in a couple of weeks time and i just want to know what happens there?

Hi :smile: I just got out of one an hour ago.

It's really nothing to worry about at all, everyone is really nice, just be sure to talk to everyone.

When I arrived I went to the customer service desk and a really nice girl took me to the staff room where I waited for the others to arrive and for our interviewer.

(Try and introduce yourself to everybody, it will help break the tension when you're being interviewed)

First of all we were ask to arrange ourselves in order of the month we were born, without communicating verbally. This is really just an icebreaker task but it was quite fun :smile:

Next we were given 6 questions to answer on a piece of paper (had about 10 minutes) then present the answers to the group.
Our questions were:
What have you been doing for the last 18 months?
What is your greatest achievement?
What do you want to do in the future?
What are your hobbies and interests?
Why should we hire you?
If you were a food or drink, what would you be and why?

After our presentations, we were given a short talk on the Waitrose partnership and the job position.

Then we were split into 3 group (2 groups of 3 and one group of 2), and given large sheet of paper to plan a themed menu for a party. (this was quite fun, and I found me and my group worked really well together :smile: just make sure you let people tell you their opinion but also make sure YOU are heard and DEFINITELY volunteer to make your presentation or at least part of it. don't be a lemon just standing there silent!)

Finally we were given a questionnaire to fill out while others went to a 1 on1 interview :smile:

I hope this helps!
Reply 8
Original post by AliceHeart
Hi :smile: I just got out of one an hour ago.

It's really nothing to worry about at all, everyone is really nice, just be sure to talk to everyone.

When I arrived I went to the customer service desk and a really nice girl took me to the staff room where I waited for the others to arrive and for our interviewer.

(Try and introduce yourself to everybody, it will help break the tension when you're being interviewed)

First of all we were ask to arrange ourselves in order of the month we were born, without communicating verbally. This is really just an icebreaker task but it was quite fun :smile:

Next we were given 6 questions to answer on a piece of paper (had about 10 minutes) then present the answers to the group.
Our questions were:
What have you been doing for the last 18 months?
What is your greatest achievement?
What do you want to do in the future?
What are your hobbies and interests?
Why should we hire you?
If you were a food or drink, what would you be and why?

After our presentations, we were given a short talk on the Waitrose partnership and the job position.

Then we were split into 3 group (2 groups of 3 and one group of 2), and given large sheet of paper to plan a themed menu for a party. (this was quite fun, and I found me and my group worked really well together :smile: just make sure you let people tell you their opinion but also make sure YOU are heard and DEFINITELY volunteer to make your presentation or at least part of it. don't be a lemon just standing there silent!)

Finally we were given a questionnaire to fill out while others went to a 1 on1 interview :smile:

I hope this helps!

I've got a group interview this wednesday coming up, This is going to be my first interview I was wondering if you can give me any tips how to answer questions like "why should we hire?" i know its something you should know but when put on the spot like that its quite nerve racking.

and what Q's did they ask you in the 1 on 1 interview?

If you could reply i would really appreciate it thanks n btw what branch did you have the interview?, mine is in birmingham city centre :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Yaser
I've got a group interview this wednesday coming up, This is going to be my first interview I was wondering if you can give me any tips how to answer questions like "why should we hire?" i know its something you should know but when put on the spot like that its quite nerve racking.

and what Q's did they ask you in the 1 on 1 interview?

If you could reply i would really appreciate it thanks n btw what branch did you have the interview?, mine is in birmingham city centre :smile:

Mine was in Worcestershire :smile:

You just need to do your research on the work ethics and values of the John Lewis Partnership and obviously tell them about your attributes/skills/experience relating to customer service. maybe a little about why YOU want to work with Waitrose.

The 1 on 1 interview was really just a quick questionnaire about what hours/day you can work and what section of the store you'd like to work in. Also ask straight forward things like 'do you have any convictions etc.' 'do you consider yourself to have a disability?...'

Make sure you bring your passport and anything else they've ask you to bring (for mine it was just a passport)

When answering questions or making your presentation, just relax and be yourself, if you talk fast make sure it not too fast! Also make sure there is emotion and sincerity in your voice and body language. It's not so good to answer mundane and quiet or too fast, and don't mumble :smile: make sure they can hear you :smile: Remember that if they picked you for a group interview out of (what was in my case) over 100 applications, then you are there because they already THINK you can do the job, now you just have to prove it to them.
I went along to a Group Interview this week there were a mix of ages from those still at school to more mature older people wanting a full time job. There were 2 blokes from Waitrose running the event - a young fella called George who looked a bit like Justin Timberlake and was friendly and put you at ease. The other bloke was older and quite grumpy and not very engaging which was a shame especially as he was the Waitrose trainer. We did an ice-breaker you had to gt in a row dependent on how long it would take you to get to the new store and mode of travel with out speaking. The introductions were name, why you want to work for Waitrose, what you`ve been doing the last 6 months, who your ideal dinner date would be where you`d take them and what you`d eat. The activities we had were split into 3 groups and list all the qualities that make a good Waitrose employee and choose the top 3. Then we had an activity that involved the whole group - benefits of working for Waitrose and choose the 4 false benefits frok the laminated cards.
The idea is to see what team work qualities you have and like many people say you must get your view across be noticed and vocal with out being too pushy/dominant.
All this lasted about an hour and a half then you had to produe proof of being a UK citizen or your right to work in the UK such as passport and a photocopy of it. You were given 2 sheets of paper - one you had to fill out your preferred role/roles in store from the list (more the better) hours availabe max (permanent) part time. The other sheet was a list of dates for training. You filled these out handed them to the Justin Timberlake look alike and he then said they`d try to match you to your preferences.
I got an email saying "they were proceeding with my application and would be in touch within the next 2 weeks to see if they had matched me to a position or alternatively theyd keep me on hold for 3 months to see if there was anything suitable. I feel like Im in limbo and now have another 2 weeks to wait. Personally I got the impression that theyve already made their choices for the jobs on offer and theyre just heding their bets in case their first choice people either turn them down or don`t live up to expectation after 3 months.
Reply 11
Original post by Tony Soprano
who your ideal dinner date would be where you`d take them and what you`d eat.

lol what a stupid question for an job interview, i mean what can they possibly get out of that. Not everyone could answer that, seriously some companies ask stupid Q's.
Reply 12
I got the job! Yay! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by AliceHeart
I got the job! Yay! :smile:

Congratz!!!

i've got my interview on wednesday, i hope i get in.
I think the Waitrose I applied for are going to favour part time and students, just a feeling I have got as I suspect anyone who wants permanent full time will be unlucky. Its now a week since I heard from them so to be fair they have another week to advise me whether they have `matched` me to a vacancy or not.
Got an email saying they `couldn`t match me to a vacancy` - joke seeing as I filled out the form and said I would work and do anythingI wanted full time work minimum 32 hours per week! I reckon they have favoured part time staff because they are cheaper to employ as they don`t have to pay a full National Insurance stamp. I am now in limbo as they said they`ll retain my application for 3 months in case something does come up they can match me to. Really am well fed up with them!:mad:
Reply 16
Hi guys, im 16 and from Essex and have a group interview on monday, im really really nervous, i need to get this part time job!

I would consider myself quite chatty and confident, i just need advice on what to expect, how to act, and how to give myself the best chance at getting the position?

Thanks!
You`ll do fine at this especially if your 18 and under. If your over 18 or a mature student or just someone more senior in years you may as well try B&Q cos Waitrose won`t touch you.
Reply 18
Original post by Tony Soprano
Got an email saying they `couldn`t match me to a vacancy` - joke seeing as I filled out the form and said I would work and do anythingI wanted full time work minimum 32 hours per week! I reckon they have favoured part time staff because they are cheaper to employ as they don`t have to pay a full National Insurance stamp. I am now in limbo as they said they`ll retain my application for 3 months in case something does come up they can match me to. Really am well fed up with them!:mad:

I know this is an old thread, Tony, but at the recent interviews for a new store where they are taking on 180 new partners we were told that nobody on the shop floor works full-time (except management presumably). The contracts range from 7.5 to 28 hours. This may be why they couldn't match you?
Reply 19
Hi everyone, I have a group interview on Friday and i wanted to know what i should wear? Would wearing a suit be too excessive, but i don't want to go under dressed so any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending