The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I genuinely think girls usually look better with no make up on, at most maybe some foundation and eye liner, but other than that. Whats the point? If we were going out I'd obviously see you without it and wouldn't want to see a completely different looking person.
Reply 21
Wow I always thought you were a guy OP :s-smilie:

But to answer your question I don't mind it. But I think a lot of guys hold their breath when their girlfriends decide to reveal themselves "au-nauturale". Unless there isn't a huge night/day difference it's okay
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Sabertooth
I prefer girls without. You know what you're getting no messing about; not to mention not having to wait hours for them before going anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair, it doesn't always take hours, depending what you put on. There are those people who spend ages in the morning giving themselves a completely new face, though - some girls are really skilled.

Do some guys feel a bit cheated when they see their girl without the make-up, then?

Tyrion_Lannister
It's a fundamental part of your outfit and expressing yourself. I think it's strange to not make an effort. I don't get people saying "I wear it for nights out" either, why? Why do you only want to look awesome then? Do you not want to look your best all the time?

I don't have a problem with men wearing make up. And I don't think anyone should wear it. And I don't think people are not good enough without it. I just think everyone looks better with makeup, particularly women when applied in an interesting style.

Why? I really don't get the whole "fundamental" argument. If people are good enough without make-up, why is it strange not to wear it? Have we really got to the stage as a society where not painting your lips or eyelids or covering your skin with a foundation the exact same colour is seen as weird?

Make-up is a pain to take off and (if you're on a budget) you probably won't be able to buy really high-quality (say, organic) stuff, meaning you're putting all these chemicals on your face. If you look up studies on what many popular products contain, a lot of them have been linked to cancer. I'd guess that not wearing foundation probably gives you better skin because it can breathe, and putting on stuff like eye make-up (considering how much you stretch the area around your eyes when applying it or taking it off) makes the area wrinkle faster.

I only wear high heels on nights out, too, but they end up hurting my feet and becoming a pain which is why I don't wear them every day. Same with make-up TBH. Even my friends who are really skilled with make-up and can apply it and take it off in less than 5 minutes tell me how much of a nuisance it can be. Sure, you might be "looking your best," but quite honestly I don't think the benefit is worth the effort every day.

Would you think a guy was strange if he didn't wear make-up and hence didn't "make an effort" to look his best every day? A lot of the problem I have with this apparent societal belief that women who don't wear make-up are "abnormal" is that it tells women there's something wrong with them for not painting their faces for at least 10 minutes every day, whereas men are told they're perfectly fine the way they are.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ezekiella

Why? I really don't get the whole "fundamental" argument. If people are good enough without make-up, why is it strange not to wear it?

Make-up is a pain to take off and (if you're on a budget) you probably won't be able to buy really high-quality (say, organic) stuff, meaning you're putting all these chemicals on your face. If you look up studies on what many popular products contain, a lot of them have been linked to cancer. I'd guess that not wearing foundation probably gives you better skin because it can breathe, and putting on stuff like eye make-up (considering how much you stretch the area around your eyes when applying it or taking it off) makes the area wrinkle faster.

I only wear high heels on nights out, too, but they end up hurting my feet and becoming a pain which is why I don't wear them every day. Same with make-up TBH. Even my friends who are really skilled with make-up and can apply it and take it off in less than 5 minutes tell me how much of a nuisance it can be. Sure, you might be "looking your best," but quite honestly I don't think the benefit is worth the effort every day.

Would you think a guy was strange if he didn't wear make-up and hence didn't "make an effort" to look his best every day? A lot of the problem I have with this apparent societal need that women who don't wear make-up are "abnormal" is that it tells women there's something wrong with them for not painting their faces for at least 10 minutes every day, whereas men are told they're perfectly fine the way they ware.

Products last a long time. I don't think they're that expensive but then I enjoy makeup so they're one of my priorities. Also I don't stretch my eyes when I put it on or take it off. Make up doesn't actually damage your skin providing you use decent stuff and moisturise. I have really good skin and I've worn foundation for years.

I don't think it's a pain to put on, in fact I love it. I don't look like me without it.

Makeup, no, as it isn't usual for guys to wear it, but if a guy walked around looking like a hobo then yes. I don't think there's something wrong with them, I just think it's strange. I'm pretty strange myself so I don't think that's necessarily bad. Just to me it's illogical.
Reply 24
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Products last a long time. I don't think they're that expensive but then I enjoy makeup so they're one of my priorities. Also I don't stretch my eyes when I put it on or take it off. Make up doesn't actually damage your skin providing you use decent stuff and moisturise. I have really good skin and I've worn foundation for years.

I don't think it's a pain to put on, in fact I love it. I don't look like me without it.

Makeup, no, as it isn't usual for guys to wear it, but if a guy walked around looking like a hobo then yes. I don't think there's something wrong with them, I just think it's strange. I'm pretty strange myself so I don't think that's necessarily bad. Just to me it's illogical.

I don't see how not wearing make-up would make a guy look like a hobo. And how is not painting your face (for lack of a better term) illogical? You may not find it a pain to put on/touch up/remove, but many women do, and I completely don't see how the benefit looks wise can always be said to justify the bother. It's like saying women should walk around in heels all day (even if some women can do so comfortably) because it makes 99% of them more attractive. Even if most women wore heels, that wouldn't make it strange not to, because they can be a complete pain.

I can understand if you look more like you want to with make-up, but I don't see what's so strange about someone being more happy with their natural face (I'm not saying you're not) or comfortable in their own skin. Personally, I feel I look most like me with absolutely no make-up on, and I'm pretty sure many other women would feel the same way.
I don't see how not wearing make-up would make a guy look like a hobo. And how is not painting your face (for lack of a better term) illogical? You may not find it a pain to put on/touch up/remove, but many women do, and I completely don't see how the benefit looks wise can always be said to justify the bother. It's like saying women should walk around in heels all day (even if some women can do so comfortably) because it makes 99% of them more attractive. Even if most women wore heels, that wouldn't make it strange not to, because they can be a complete pain.

I can understand if you look more like you want to with make-up, but I don't see what's so strange about someone being more happy with their natural face (I'm not saying you're not) or comfortable in their own skin. Personally, I feel I look most like me with absolutely no make-up on, and I'm pretty sure many other women would feel the same way.

I meant if a guy did the equivelant, like not shaving or something. It just seems so strange that you wouldn't want to. Like, why would you not want to look nice? Not saying you don't look nice. BUT I accept I'm weird in this regard, I don't have going out clothes and day clothes I have a wardrobe full of overly dramatic flamboyant things. I guess I feel the same about makeup.

I'm not saying you SHOULD wear it, I think it's your choice. To me it's strange to choose not to.

It just seems like not making an effort to me.
Reply 26
I actually think my girlfriend looks better without make up haha, maybe I'm just weird though. :tongue:
To me make up is a bit of a confidence thing, like people who don't like their skin tend are more likely to wear foundation, I totally don't understand why you would wear foundation if your skins good, I don't exactly have flawless skin but I would never opt for foundation
Make up defines your features and enhances them etc but it's a masquerade, it takes someone more confident and not care if others judge them to show their real face, that shouldn't critised
I've heard people say they wouldn't dare go out the house without make up because they'd be scared of what people would think/say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _anyawalsh
To me make up is a bit of a confidence thing, like people who don't like their skin tend are more likely to wear foundation, I totally don't understand why you would wear foundation if your skins good, I don't exactly have flawless skin but I would never opt for foundation
Make up defines your features and enhances them etc but it's a masquerade, it takes someone more confident and not care if others judge them to show their real face, that shouldn't critised
I've heard people say they wouldn't dare go out the house without make up because they'd be scared of what people would think/say

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have good skin and I wear it. The reason I do it is because I want the flawless, almost airbrushed look.
I take care of my skin and work out and all that, but I just can't be bothered to put on foundation/lippy etc. each day, I feel weird having all these different colours on my face :s-smilie: I put a lot of effort into the way I dress and so on, but I just rarely wear make-up even on a night out, at the most I'll pop on some lipstick or something. I wear it now and then for really fancy occasions, but I absolutely hate the feeling and hate having to take it off, it feels like washing paint off. :eek:

So, girls, do you judge other girls/form an impression of them for not wearing make-up?

Guys, do you find girls who don't wear make-up less attractive?

I actually love the chance not to wear foundation. It's a chore to wash it off, especially in hot weather. I've started to wear lipstick but eye or skin makeup is laborious to me. After a late night I may look more tired without it but I feel fresher and happier.

I sometimes think to myself a woman without makeup is more likely to be comfortable in their own skin, but I don't strictly judge people. Everyone has different reasons.
Reply 30
Original post by randomd_love
I used to wear foundation then one day my dad snapped and said:

"I can't hug you anymore - you keep getting foundation on my white shirts and it looks funny" (I'm black so my brown foundation rubs off in such a way it looks like a skidmark lol).
"I don't even know why you wear that stuff anyway, you're just as beautiful as your mum and she doesn't wear any make up."

It's honestly the nicest thing he's ever said to me and even though he was shouting at me I know he meant well. Which is why concealer is all I use (the bags under my eyes make me look like one of the walking dead). I know someone gonna say you shouldn't need a man to validate you - but its my dad.

Haha daddy issues...
Reply 31
I think girls who don't wear make up look very very unprofessional. You don't have to wear a lot but even a bit! Make an effort! Drives me mad!
Original post by _anyawalsh

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, why would you wear foundation if you had perfect skin :confused: The only reason why I wear it is because I have pretty bad skin. If I had good skin, I wouldn't wear it.
Either naturally beautiful or ugly *cough* exhibit A..:biggrin:
Reply 34
Original post by und3niable_
Either naturally beautiful or ugly *cough* exhibit A..:biggrin:

Which are you without make-up, then? :wink:
I think it's admirable when girls don't wear makeup and are sporting a natural look. It's encouraging to see people who are comfortable in their own skin since since it's so rare in todays society when there are photoshopped images plastered everywhere in magazines and in advertisements which many aspire to look like, so they in effect end up wearing makeup. I think when some girls have friends who girls do not wear makeup or not a lot of makeup it gives them an incentive to not wear it as they feel they won't be judged, this is my situation entirely as my friends don't wear a lot of makeup so when I am around them I don't wear it a lot of the time as I feel comfortable. I personally would not judge anyone who didn't wear makeup as I think that's just beyond shallow, however I would wear makeup around strangers or people I don't feel comfortable around because I know some may judge and not be kind :smile:
Reply 36
men always pefer women wearing it they just dont realise

dfdsf.jpg - beyonce with what men think is no makeup

xcvcxvcv.jpgxcxcxc.jpg -
beyonce actualy not wearing makeup
makeup_free_celebs_are_far_from_picture_perfect_640_19.jpg - some guys dont even realise there is eyebrow makeup!

i think girls either dont think alot if a girl doesnt wear makeup or "id love to have skin as clear as hers"
or sometimes i think girls can look at girls who dont wear it as slobs
in my opinion
(edited 10 years ago)
Which are you without make-up, then? :wink:

The latter...and proud. Haha. I wouldn't call myself horrific looking but I'm not stunning and I don't suit make-up at all. Got a few more looks from guys on the instance I wore it but they were guys I wouldn't usually even look at:redface:
It's not something I particuarly worry about I mean if I was running late or just couldn't really be bothered (most of the time) I'd rush some eyeliner and mascara on and leave it at that. I onlyput on foundations when I have a bad skin day/am going out to a party or something. I wouldn't judge someone, it's a matter of opinion. As for guys, as long as I'm comfortable with myself I wouldn't just start wearing loads of it because a guy preferred it. I don't have the time or effort for that!
Reply 39
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
It's a fundamental part of your outfit and expressing yourself. I think it's strange to not make an effort. I don't get people saying "I wear it for nights out" either, why? Why do you only want to look awesome then? Do you not want to look your best all the time?

I don't have a problem with men wearing make up. And I don't think anyone should wear it. And I don't think people are not good enough without it. I just think everyone looks better with makeup, particularly women when applied in an interesting style.

i always think its strange when people save things "for best" why not use the stuff you like best all the time?
wether its dishes or dresses if there not going to break after using them a certain amount of time why keep them in the cupboard , if these items are concidered the best

Latest