The Student Room Group

Oxidation number of N in HNO3

??? Can anyone helkp as to how they got the answer +5? I thought it would be -5.
Reply 1
3 oxygens at -2 each, one hydrogen (+1), so N must be +5 to sum to zero.
Reply 2
But the 3 oxygens are -6, plus the 1 from the hydrogen would have to make the N -5, not +5???
H = +1
O x 3 = -2 x 3
= -6
net charge on molecule = 0

So +1 -6 +N = 0
=> N = 0+6-1
= +5
Reply 4
Oh wait I get it. Thanks!
billykwok
H = +1
O x 3 = -2 x 3
= -6
net charge on molecule = 0

So +1 -6 +N = 0
=> N = 0+6-1
= +5

Bilbo - geek :biggrin:
Considered N=x and oxidation number of H is 1. Oxidation number of O is -2 but there is O3 so -2*3=6.x 1-6=0x-5=0x=5.
Reply 7
Wow. Over forty thousand views for such a boring thread with only (up until now) five posts.

Way to go Sakshit, you've found an over nine year old thread and added to the conversation. I bet shenzys will sleep easy tonight knowing his question has been answered (not for the first time, that honour must go to billykwok also over nine years ago).

I wonder what shenzys will be up to now? Certainly not working out oxidation states of nitrogen, I'll bet.
But nitrogen has no d orbital so how it can expand and get oxidation state 5
Original post by Vinay123567890
But nitrogen has no d orbital so how it can expand and get oxidation state 5

don't post on a 10 year thread buddy.
It cannot be -5 because oxygen is more electronegative than nitrogen.. So here nitrogen exhibits positive oxidation state
Oxidation number of Hydrogen = 1Oxidation number of Oxygen = (-2) Total charge on atom = 0Now, to find N in HNO3N 1 (-2) = 0N 1 = 6So N = 5 Oxidation number of Nitrogen in Nitric acid is 5

Quick Reply

Latest