The Student Room Group

operating department practice diploma

Hello
Anyone else applied for the odp course? I applied for 3 places, didn't get in at Portsmouth and still waiting for my interview with Sheffield. Had an interview with Cardiff and aptitude tests on Tuesday but I don't think I did well enough, I'm really depressed and worried now. Anyone else done them?

Scroll to see replies

I applied to Coventry in 2008 but even though I got offered a place I decided not to take it. I'm now going to be working as a Healthcare Assistant in theatres and may look at becoming an ODP again in the future. Don't give up hope! If you don't get offered any places then I would suggest taking a gap year and look to work as a HCA in theatres. Next year when you reapply it will show that you know exactly what your getting yourself into and you'll stand out from the crowd.
I am currently a first year ODP in oxford brookes university. Cardiff was my first choice and I got through the interview stage and did the aptitude test as well but didn't get in.
I wouldn't give up hope if you don't get in this year it's become a really popular course there are 58 first years in oxford brookes which is the biggest group they have ever had, it was a bit of a struggle to find us all placements.
Working as a HCA is a good idea, I've got friends who were HCA in theatre and were able to get seconded from the hospital and still get paid their HCA wage when training. Otherwise your looking at an nhs bursary which is half of what HCA's get paid!

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
chibi_totoro
I am currently a first year ODP in oxford brookes university. Cardiff was my first choice and I got through the interview stage and did the aptitude test as well but didn't get in.
I wouldn't give up hope if you don't get in this year it's become a really popular course there are 58 first years in oxford brookes which is the biggest group they have ever had, it was a bit of a struggle to find us all placements.
Working as a HCA is a good idea, I've got friends who were HCA in theatre and were able to get seconded from the hospital and still get paid their HCA wage when training. Otherwise your looking at an nhs bursary which is half of what HCA's get paid!

Hope this helps!

Thanks, that actually helps a lot.
I still haven't heard anything yet and am not feeling very optimistic about it. There are only 17 places at Cardiff, i've got no idea how many applicants they get but I imagine its a lot. Do you have any idea how many applicants they get at Oxford Brookes?
Reply 4
I've got an interview for university campus suffolk friday.
Pretty nervous about it really.
whats the aptitude test? :s: Is that like after the interview?
I'm working as a HCA at the moment, I think they like that for these health related courses such as nursing/odp/paramedic etc etc.
Reply 5
Oh yeah another question.

What questions did you guys get asked at your interviews?

I mean, i've made some cue cards, with stuff about me, the course at this uni, the role of ODP, the 3 perioperative stages and some other things.
Reply 6
has anybody had interviews for either Hull, Huddersfield or Sheffield Hallam? I applied past the deadline however they are all open to extra and said they were considering late applications when I contacted them. Im SCARED! haha
Reply 7
The aptitude test comes after the interview. I haven't heard back from Cardiff yet, don't know if thats a bad sign.
In my interviews they mainly asked stuff like why do you want to be an ODP? what do you think you could bring to the role? how do you think you will cope under pressure? all the obvious stuff really.

Cakel - i applied for Sheffield in Jan but hadn't heard anything after 2 months so I phoned and they said I was on the interview list. Think they are pretty slow compared to the others as they still haven't sent me the confirmation of the date and time.
Reply 8
Had my first interview lastt friday.
It was okkkk...
We like had to introduce the person sitting next to us. Ermmm had a little presentation about the course.
We also had to discuss about elective Caesarians in two groups relating to newspaper articles. It was like a mini debate which I enjoyed. :^_^: the two course people were watching us I do that which was good as I didn't manage to get one of my points out when we discussed it as a larger group. I participated in the mini discussion though which they noticed I think.
We then had our interviews which are ok but horrible at the same time. Loads of questions. :eek: They barely asked me anything about myself, apart from why I wanted to do the course, what I knew etc etc and gave me some scenarios to answer.

I think it went well...supposed to hear within 3 weeks but i'm not gonna try to get my hopes up too high.
It's a pretty small intake unless they add a few extra people on.

It seemed nice though. :puppyeyes:

Next interview 14th April. Anglia Ruskin. It's only an hour and a bit, unlike the one I had which lasted like nearly the whole day. So i'm a bit nervous about it but know what to expect kinda now. :smile:
I just found out I got into South Bank :woo: .... anybody going to be joining me?!

Was a massive surprise as had a interview at Portsmouth and they told me I pretty much didn't have a hope of getting in anywhere this year as I didn't have any experience. Needless to say they didn't offer me a place!

Good luck to you all!
Supercalifragilistic
I just found out I got into South Bank :woo: .... anybody going to be joining me?!

Was a massive surprise as had a interview at Portsmouth and they told me I pretty much didn't have a hope of getting in anywhere this year as I didn't have any experience. Needless to say they didn't offer me a place!

Good luck to you all!

Congratulations.
Reply 11
I'm really really really getting quite scared now. Today I got an interview at huddersfield for ODP and an unsuccessful from Leeds university for Nursing (Im guessing they dont have any places left seen as they arent in extra anyway and I didnt really want to go there because I live in leeds anyway) but I just want a bit of info on interviews and what you have been expected to know throughout the interviews. Fingers crossed I get interviews/offers for the other 3 I have applied for an havn't heard anything back yet! If not, oh well, ucas extra might have to become my new best friend.
Reply 12
Supercalifragilistic

Good luck to you all!

Well done!!
Thanks!

tips for interviews...

1. be yourself! and smile :smile:
2. know the role of an ODP inside out
3. do a bit of research about the uni and the location as well
4. be 100% confident with you reasons for wanting to do the course
5. think about how you would feel with the not so great parts of being an ODP e.g how you deal with anger, what would you do if somebody you worked with did something they weren't qualified to do ect.
6. be aware of the way the profession is changing - degree only entry soon ect.
7. think about what skills and qualities make a good ODP and relate these to the three peri-operative stages

Good luck!
Reply 14
has anybody had interviews for either Hull, Huddersfield or Sheffield Hallam? I applied past the deadline however they are all open to extra and said they were considering late applications when I contacted them. Im SCARED! haha

I have had an interview from sheffield and huddersfield and i got in at huddersfield and waiting for a reply at sheffield i have an interview on the 30th April with hull if u wanna speak about what happened or anything my msn is Mod edit: e-mail address removed
joe
x
Reply 15
loik321
I have had an interview from sheffield and huddersfield and i got in at huddersfield and waiting for a reply at sheffield i have an interview on the 30th April with hull if u wanna speak about what happened or anything my msn is Mod edit: e-mail address removed
joe
x

Hi I have my interview for Huddersfield on Monday and I feel some what underprepared. What will I be expected to know and what kind of questions will they ask? Is it a group or individual interview?

thanksss x
Didn't get into University Campus Suffolk.
Had an interview at Anglia Ruskin today though, it seemed to go much better interviewise in general.:smile:
Reply 17
yay I had my interview for Huddersfield yesterday and they rang me up today to say that they were going to make me a conditional offer (conditional meaning that I have to pass the CRB checks etc) and an hour later the decision was up on UCAS. the interview was no where near as hard as I thought it was going to be and all of the staff there were extremely nice!
I know this is way old..but do you go to Hudds or are you starting in March this year?
Reply 19
Original post by loik321
joe
x

Hi, i was wondering if you would be able to give me some tips etc about your interview at sheffield hallam. this is my first choice and where i really want to go, however have not heard if i have an interview as such.
i have interview with cardiff next week which i am really nervous about..

any help would be much appreciated.
thanks, tanya x

Quick Reply

Latest