The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You think your well "ARD" "enit"
Reply 41
Why... Just why?
Be content with a social life.
Reply 42
If you're considering Medicine, 6 A levels would probably be a bad option. Not only would you need straight As (to get into the top top unis), you need a ****load of work experience, volunteering and all that. They will eat up time. I'm doing 4 (and I did pretty well in GCSEs), and I literally find that I have no time in the weekdays because of all of the extra-curricular, work experience and volunteering I have to do.

I would say 5 maximum for Medicine. I'm not sure about History, but I imagine that 6 would still be too much.

Having said that, I do know people who got 6A*, but they're few and far between. I'd say go for 5 at first. if you're finding it easy, maybe try 6. If you're finding it hard, drop to 4. Who knows? Maybe you can get 6A* and fit everything around it? Unfortunately, you'll probably end up with zero social life and fun.
Reply 43
6? Really :s-smilie:

But why?

Do you not want care for a social life?
Reply 44
GCSE and A-levels are quite different. And those 6 subjects are hard too!

Besides, your school might not be able to fit you into a timetable, you do only have a certain number of lessons a week!
Original post by weasleyisking
Right so, I'm leaving school next year (2012) and I need to start thinking about colleges and sixth forms. I know I'm deffinately doing A Levels, but I just don't know what to pick as I am unsure of what I want to do a degree in, maybe Medicine of History?

I want to keep my options open so I'll need to do all my sciences and my maths along with English and History.

So all together that'll be:
- Biology
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Maths
- English
- History

6 A Levels. :s-smilie: I just want to know if that's possible. Are you allowed to take six a levels? Would that be too much work? I'm predicted for A's and A*'s at GCSE so I can do the work, I just wonder if it's too much? :confused:

Well, thanks :smile:

Twelve negs? Some people are bastards.

If you can/want to take six A-levels, go for it. It shows that you are hard-working, that you like a challenge, and that you are intelligent and can time-manage.

Whether you can or not will depend on timetabling, but I highly doubt you will fit all those in. A friend of mine who did a similar number (two more, I think) had just thirty minutes teaching per week for a couple of those. He was quite lucky in that he went to a school with a very good pupil:teacher ratio, and some very dedicated staff.

Whether you can cope depends on you. Some people are naturals at subjects like Maths and Physics, so don't need to put in much work. Are you one of them? Otherwise, if you are intelligent and put in the effort, you should be fine.

But you should question whether you need/want to do all six. Universities will be fine with three, and doing just four or five will set you apart from the vast majority of people.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by michael321
Twelve negs? Some people are bastards.

If you can/want to take six A-levels, go for it. It shows that you are hard-working, that you like a challenge, and that you are intelligent and can time-manage.

Whether you can or not will depend on timetabling, but I highly doubt you will fit all those in. A friend of mine who did a similar number (two more, I think) had just thirty minutes teaching per week for a couple of those. He was quite lucky in that he went to a school with a very good pupil:teacher ratio, and some very dedicated staff.

Whether you can cope depends on you. Some people are naturals at subjects like Maths and Physics, so don't need to put in much work. Are you one of them? Otherwise, if you are intelligent and put in the effort, you should be fine.

But you should question whether you need/want to do all six. Universities will be fine with three, and doing just four or five will set you apart from the vast majority of people.

Bastards--So true, I mean if the pupil is capable then it is possible to do it. But I have to admit it will be a challenge.
Reply 47
If you want to do Medicine, for most universities you will only need 3/4 A-levels. One of my friends is applying for Medicine having taken Maths, Biology, Chemistry and History in AS year. Another is continuing Biology, Chemistry and Spanish to A2. Quite frankly, it is very easy to fantasise and think that you WILL be organised/still have free time/ get great marks in your A levels if you do continue six, but trust me: having attained all A*s in my GCSEs, I am doing 4 A levels and am finding it extremely hard-going. Don't put yourself under unnecessary pressure, otherwise your grades will be affected as a result.
You don't need six. You'll literally want to kill yourself during exam period. Take four max and then carry on all of them if you think you're up to it.
You could probably do 6 A Levels, but not much else for two years.
It's a big commitment with not much benefit other than personal happiness/sense of accomplishment,
in that, as others have said, it will make not much of a difference to unis.
Reply 50
I took Biology, Chemistry, English, my native language, physics, maths and tbh, I have to nolife to get the best grades. So I think you need to take 4 maximum 5 :smile:
10 A*s at A Level and 2 degrees from Oxbridge won't get you far in the world if you have no people skills/common sense/life skills/spare time to do something fun/friends
Reply 52
there's no need for it UNLESS you genuinely want to do them subjects. It will give you no advantage really, unless you come out with something like A*A*A*A*A*A* but really theres no need for it. You also want somewhat of a life during A- Levels. Just pick up 4 and when it comes to A2 decide if you can carry them all on or not
Get rid of one of the sciences (probably Physics) and one of the essay subjects (probably english lit), your options aren't limited but your idea isn't stupid then.
You can try it out, but like someone's said before, do it for the right reasons. GCSE results =/= how well you do as AS/A2. I would only ever do 5 maximum and I'd make sure I was interested in them. It's not going to help you in uni apps though, so it really is that you're doing it for yourself!
Your going to SUFFER! Its not worth it at all
Reply 56
You probably could do with deciding what you want to do at uni now, at least in a vague sense (do you want to do a science subject or an arts subject?) That way you can narrow down which options you really need to take and give yourself a chance of actually passing.

I haven't found A Levels as hard as people said they were but i still wouldn't fancy 6.
Right so, I'm leaving school next year (2012) and I need to start thinking about colleges and sixth forms. I know I'm deffinately doing A Levels, but I just don't know what to pick as I am unsure of what I want to do a degree in, maybe Medicine of History?

I want to keep my options open so I'll need to do all my sciences and my maths along with English and History.

- Biology
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Maths
- English
- History

6 A Levels. :s-smilie: I just want to know if that's possible. Are you allowed to take six a levels? Would that be too much work? I'm predicted for A's and A*'s at GCSE so I can do the work, I just wonder if it's too much? :confused:

delete 1 of the sciences and eng if possible and do the rest.

I'm going to end up with 7 (5 full and 2 AS levels). My advice: Don't do more than 5.
(edited 12 years ago)

- Biology
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Maths
- English
- History

Rule out what you don't want to do. Would you be happy to study physics or maths? If not, then don't take them at A-level. That leaves you with four right there.

The only reason you should ever take more than four is if you really want to study more than four, not because you have no clue on what you want to do.
Reply 59
Its not all about grades, I've seen people who have got 4A*'s at A-level but they have not been offered to go to a uni. Theres more to life than just grades. I used to think the same as you by just working like mad getting grades and thats it love life but it isn't unfortunately uni's choose applicants who are determined and who kind of have a life ( not the right phrase i would use but its the easiest way of putting it)

Latest