The Student Room Group

Girls and baldness?

Im 17 and it is inevitable that I will be going bald.
My hairline has been receding now for the past 3 years, and since the summer I have noticed my hair on top getting considerably thinner. (I'm not the only one to notice this, my friends gladly point out that im going bald also!!)

Are there many guys at Uni who are going bald or shaved heads? During the summer of year 13 I am 100% going to shave it off as thinning hair on anyone looks dreadful, mine is not too bad yet but it is in the process of becoming worse.

Do you girls care about men with hair or not? People have said I would look okay with a shaven head, I just think all i need to do is get down the gym haha.

But, is it that much of a turn off?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JAL1234
My hairline has been receding now for the past 3 years, and since the summer I have noticed my hair on top getting considerably thinner. (I'm not the only one to notice this, my friends gladly point out that im going bald also!!)

Are there many guys at Uni who are going bald or shaved heads? During the summer of year 13 I am 100% going to shave it off as thinning hair on anyone looks dreadful, mine is not too bad yet but it is in the process of becoming worse.

Do you girls care about men with hair or not? People have said I would look okay with a shaven head, I just think all i need to do is get down the gym haha.

Hey man, I'm the same as you :wink: 17 and going that way fast.
I shaved my hair off and it didn't look that bad.

Some girls dig it, other not so much. It's more how you present yourself. It sucks, it really does, but if you let it ruin your life then no-one is going to be interested, if you accept that it is going to happen and get on with it, be confident in yourself, you'll be fine. :smile:

I was reading up on some stuff and theres a 30 day challenge for baldness :') Shave your hair off and continue with your life exactly as you would normally for 30 days, not worrying about your hair, etc. Those 30 days will be the hardest but after that you'll be used to the look and be confident in it. :smile:

Just remember to be confident and be yourself, that's all you can do! There are a lot of guys in uni with shaved heads, etc so as soon as you're past sixth form/college, it will just seem normal. I have another 2 years of college left and I'm at your level. The thought is daunting but you just have to get on with it, who cares what other people think?

To answer your final question, cmon man, you've seen Vin Diesel... The chicks love that! haha.
Reply 2
Just be confident, and maybe use a bit of talcum powder - bald is sexy, shiny isn't so much...
yh shave your hair off and start again, makes sure you start taking vitamins l just pop into holland and barret and tell them about your situation
Reply 4
Original post by JAL1234

I'm 19, mine started around 16 and on the temples it has now receded a good couple of inches.

It happens, sadly for us it's happened earlier in life.. But don't let it get in the way of pulling up chicks. Shave it down to a 3 or something if you want first, see how that looks.

Some people actually look extremely good bald and even for those who it does make them look slightly less attractive, get some confidence and some game and you will be just fine in your 2012 goals of picking up chicks :tongue:
Reply 5
Well I like to have a bit of hair to grab onto :colone:

but seriously though, don't worry about it. I quite like bald guys too, some look pretty hot with no hair!
Dude, I feel you. Ive been receding for a year or so now as well and I'm 18 in may. It REALLY sucks for me because my style is not big, buff and shaved. I'm more a tall, slim with messy, wavy locks. Plus my hair is my pride and joy. Without my hair, I have no room for creativity or different styles, just short and shaved. And everyone seems to think that the only look suitable for balding is the tough guy look. But again, that's not what I'm about - I go to the gym, but not to look like a beefcake. Anyway, my advice is, fight it until you know youre doomed. See a trichologist, see what they can do. But don't start taking any medications that will have bad side effects (a lot of them do). Still, don't give up.

IF all else fails - just outdo every other guy. Get an amazing body, a tan, good dress sense, good job, be knowledgable, confident, and all those good qualities and there is no doubt you will pull chicks. Bear in mind you won't resemble vin diesel though.

It does suck however, and I'm going to uni soon :frown:

Maybe one day they will bring out something to grow it all back. Till then, keep going bro :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by Jenx301
Well I like to have a bit of hair to grab onto :colone:

but seriously though, don't worry about it. I quite like bald guys too, some look pretty hot with no hair!

:colone:

Yeah, don't let it get you down bro - couple of my mates are the same and they are the most confident lads out there! Aren't there like shampoos and medication you may want to research too? But I think at the end of the day if you're happy shaving it - that's a great shout. All the best anyway!
Man, if my hair falls out I'll be pretty distraught. I don't think it's showing any signs of going, but I'm not letting my guard down. My dad's hair is sort of thinning, and so is the hair of two uncles on my mum's side, so I guess I might be at risk. But both my granddads had full heads of hair going into old age, so perhaps it skips a generation?
just get hench haha

vin diesel, the rock, zidane so many hench hunks

id recommend, what you can do is possibly do a 1 all over on the hair and stubble eg:

Reply 10
Original post by DanLorenzo
x

Tough guy look isn't all you can do mate, try messing around with different facial hair styles (if you can grow it).

I'm tall and skinny too, but shaved head and a bit of stubble looks great.
Girls like make up. Girls therefore like mirrors. A shiny head is a perfect substitute when out and about...
Reply 12
Cheers for all the replies guys! Makes me feel better knowing im not the only balding teen!!

I can grow decent facial hair, however the problem is my school makes you shave and so will have to wait till the end of Year 13 to go for the shaven and stubble look.

I am a little chubby at the moment, and dont want to be the fat baldy at University, so i guess I will be using my local gym a little more often!

Thanks again
Original post by lsaul95
Tough guy look isn't all you can do mate, try messing around with different facial hair styles (if you can grow it).

I'm tall and skinny too, but shaved head and a bit of stubble looks great.

Hmm true. Just wish I could have flowing wavy locks to mess up instead of short and shaved. I was definitely considering getting some stubble going. Might even grow a bit of beard for a while and see how that goes... Just don't want to end up looking like a bald biker from hells angels haha.

I am a bit older than you at 23 but I can see all my hair is receding pretty rapidly.

I have been shaving my hair since I was 18 and have known that hair loss runs through my mum's side of the family, so I am not really panicking over it.

Plus, you if you do it right, it can look pretty good.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think bald is pretty hot if I'm honest. Obviously you're going to have to work harder to avoid the stereotypical tough guy look if that's not what you want, but if you dress in jeans and a shirt, bald works for me. :colone:
Reply 16
Hmm true. Just wish I could have flowing wavy locks to mess up instead of short and shaved. I was definitely considering getting some stubble going. Might even grow a bit of beard for a while and see how that goes... Just don't want to end up looking like a bald biker from hells angels haha.

haha don't we all. I think they will have solid treatment for it in the next 5-10 years that will allow regrowth. So just hold out until then :')

Tbh, even if they did I still think I'd go for the short/shaved head look with stubble. I think it's a better look than long hair if you can pull it off.
Original post by lsaul95
haha don't we all. I think they will have solid treatment for it in the next 5-10 years that will allow regrowth. So just hold out until then :')

Tbh, even if they did I still think I'd go for the short/shaved head look with stubble. I think it's a better look than long hair if you can pull it off.

Yeah man definitely. Some guys look really good with the whole rugged stubble style. Think I'd need a tan to go along with it haha. Wish I was Italian or something. They always make good bald guys.
If you can pull it off, it can be quite hot, or at least not detract from your hotness.
Reply 19
Yeah man definitely. Some guys look really good with the whole rugged stubble style. Think I'd need a tan to go along with it haha. Wish I was Italian or something. They always make good bald guys.

hahaha damn them and their ridiculously good bald looks! Yeah, might need to tan it up a bit! Looking like the bloke from Prison Break would be ideal too.

Quick Reply

Latest