The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Computer Science and Mathematics

Has anyone studied or currently studying the Computer Science and Mathematics joint degree at Manchester?

If so, what are your opinions on the course?

I specifically want to know:

1) How was the workload?
2) Did you feel you were at a disadvantage compared to single honours students?
3) Do you regret not taking a single honours instead?

I'm personally debating between doing a joint degree or just going for straight mathematics.

Thanks for any help.
Reply 1
SchrodingersHat
Has anyone studied or currently studying the Computer Science and Mathematics joint degree at Manchester?

If so, what are your opinions on the course?

I specifically want to know:

1) How was the workload?
2) Did you feel you were at a disadvantage compared to single honours students?
3) Do you regret not taking a single honours instead?

I'm personally debating between doing a joint degree or just going for straight mathematics.

Thanks for any help.

Hi there,

This is a very specific course so don't be surprised if it takes awhile to receive a response.

That said, I recently did a tour in conjunction with the school of computer science of the Alan Turing Building since I'm an undergraduate with the school of maths.

Typically joint honour programmes, although shared between their respective departments, are aligned to a particular department who deals with the administrative side of things.

In your case that would be the school of computer science so I'd definitely look for someone from that department to give you greater insight into your degree programme.

I think you really have to look at the modules you'll be taking throughout your programme and decide if that's really for you. You'll have some flexibility to switch degree programmes in the first semester, but it doesn't last too long.

I recommend that you stick with the joint honours programme and if you find its not for you - you can switch over. I think there's a lot of overlap between the joint and single honours programmes so doing the joint honours programme will give you a flavour of both.

If you have any questions about the mathematics side of things then please feel free to quote me and ask.

Darren
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending