The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2140
Original post by michi89_1
Anyone?

Sorry, we're mostly undergrads. Good luck!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Helsy
Welll..... the different coffee shops are always a good place to start. Seems that's where most people seem to hang out if they don't spend their whole day on North Haugh like I do (it's a bit out of the main town/university area).
But definitely try and get in to see the department. You can usually get someone to help with that by emailing someone. And consider wandering into the Union, which during daytime is fairly easy as they don't check ID or if your a student during the day. And if you can get in to the main library, that's a good place to see, since if you do anything besides physics and maths, you'll probably spend a lot of time there.
But yeah, if you want to see a bit more of the uni, then look here for more tips generally.

Thanks! That's great advice, especially about the union :P How come physics and maths don't? And what's the deal with the library/ies now because I heard that they were awful but someone told me it's just been renovated or something. Yeah, I'm torn between booking one of those visiting days or just touring myself and emailing directly to get a Q&A with a member of academic staff :s-smilie: Tbh I just want to see the beach ...
Reply 2142
Original post by Helsy
Wow! It took me weeks to pluck up the courage to make my final decision (though it was obviously going to be St Andrews) and even then I had my Dad double check the UCAs response form before I confirmed it, to make sure I'd not accidentally turned down St Andrews. :tongue:

Hope to see you around next year then!! :smile: Good luck with all the exams!

Haha, well after nearly 6 months, I couldn't wait to firm St. Andrews! I would have firmed it sooner if I'd had my laptop with me. I did double check about 50 times before sending it off though!
Reply 2143
Original post by mezlande
Thanks! That's great advice, especially about the union :P How come physics and maths don't? And what's the deal with the library/ies now because I heard that they were awful but someone told me it's just been renovated or something. Yeah, I'm torn between booking one of those visiting days or just touring myself and emailing directly to get a Q&A with a member of academic staff :s-smilie: Tbh I just want to see the beach ...

The Physics and Maths departments have their own separate library in the Physics building. And basically everything we need is right there. But I do know a few people who like to work in the main library sometimes.
And yes, they're in the process of being renovated. They usually do the serious stuff over the summer though, since there's less people using the building then.

Ah, but which beach...? There are two big ones, personally I prefer West Sands. Only because it's the closest probably... :tongue:

And you can just email the main recruitment officer in the department, and either they'll be happy to take you around or can arrange someone else to do it. I've seen people taken around Physics on random days. (We sometimes like to joke that we should run up to them and tell them to run away whilst they still can.... :wink:)
Original post by Helsy
The Physics and Maths departments have their own separate library in the Physics building. And basically everything we need is right there. But I do know a few people who like to work in the main library sometimes.
And yes, they're in the process of being renovated. They usually do the serious stuff over the summer though, since there's less people using the building then.

Ah, but which beach...? There are two big ones, personally I prefer West Sands. Only because it's the closest probably... :tongue:

And you can just email the main recruitment officer in the department, and either they'll be happy to take you around or can arrange someone else to do it. I've seen people taken around Physics on random days. (We sometimes like to joke that we should run up to them and tell them to run away whilst they still can.... :wink:)

Ahh no fair! I'm so looking forward to the library now though, shame it's not 24h. I was thinking East Sands but hey, if West is closer and just as good then I might give it a go. Yeah I think that's what I'd like to do.. If you guys did that to me, it'd probably work in the unis favour .. I'm weird like that, I'm rejecting Bath on the notion that it has the lowest crime rate in Britain, personally I find that a bit boring :P
Ahh no fair! I'm so looking forward to the library now though, shame it's not 24h. I was thinking East Sands but hey, if West is closer and just as good then I might give it a go. Yeah I think that's what I'd like to do.. If you guys did that to me, it'd probably work in the unis favour .. I'm weird like that, I'm rejecting Bath on the notion that it has the lowest crime rate in Britain, personally I find that a bit boring :P

Yeah, me too, I can't stand it when a place starts being 'safe' and a 'friendly environment'. I just wouldn't feel comfortable learning in a town without a crime problem.
Original post by Chuck Norris
Yeah, me too, I can't stand it when a place starts being 'safe' and a 'friendly environment'. I just wouldn't feel comfortable learning in a town without a crime problem.

I just mean that coming from a place that is 'safe' and a 'friendly environment', and baring in mind that I would like to move to a more exciting, diverse area (work oppertunities yada yada...), I would like study in a university that prepared me for that also. Saying that, St Andrews is a complete bubble, but from what I gather, increadibly active and full of all sorts of eccentric people(?) :biggrin:
Reply 2147
Uhhh so just firmed my offer :biggrin:
I really can't wait for september to roll around.
I just mean that coming from a place that is 'safe' and a 'friendly environment', and baring in mind that I would like to move to a more exciting, diverse area (work oppertunities yada yada...), I would like study in a university that prepared me for that also. Saying that, St Andrews is a complete bubble, but from what I gather, increadibly active and full of all sorts of eccentric people(?) :biggrin:

I get what you're saying, I was just joking. It sounded a bit wierd at first is all. I can totally appreciate wanting to escape your own comfort zone.
Who else just CAN'T WAIT? :biggrin:

Has anybody chosen the other subjects they want to do for their sub-honours? I'm thinking definitely Latin but I'm not sure about the other, to go with Mediaeval History...the others on the course of which I have yet to meet! There are only 30 of us apparently so if there IS anybody else out there then please PM me :smile:

When do we receive our iSaint logins? Anybody know?
Original post by Chibelta

ME! :biggrin:

Although i'm a little disappointed that Geology and Physics in first year clash, going to have to find a different subject now...
Reply 2151
Original post by Evan7788
ME! :biggrin:

Although i'm a little disappointed that Geology and Physics in first year clash, going to have to find a different subject now...

Me too! :biggrin:

Where can you check if they clash?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by perlsh

I'm not sure as i was told this at the geology open day :s-smilie:
Reply 2153
Original post by perlsh

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/ug/2011-2012/
last years timetables are there. They will stay basically the same
Reply 2154
Original post by Chibelta

Has anybody chosen the other subjects they want to do for their sub-honours? I'm thinking definitely Latin but I'm not sure about the other, to go with Mediaeval History...the others on the course of which I have yet to meet! There are only 30 of us apparently so if there IS anybody else out there then please PM me :smile:

When do we receive our iSaint logins? Anybody know?

There will be alot more people with offers for History who will take mediaeval modules. and some who take it up as a third module. I know last year there were about 80 people taking the module. I've taken 3 out of the 4 mediaeval sub honours modules so if you have any questions, let me know :smile:

As for isaint, if you're unconditional, you'll probaly get in early in the summer. Unconditionals get their login details a few weeks after they met their offer
Reply 2155
Original post by Oh-WOW

As for isaint, if you're unconditional, you'll probaly get in early in the summer. Unconditionals get their login details a few weeks after they met their offer

I think this was supposed to say Conditionals?

Good night!
Reply 2156

Yes, they typically do clash. I looked at taking a Geology module back when I was still thinking of doing 1st year, but then I changed to 2nd year entry and lost any chance of taking an extra geology module. :frown:

But you could look into taking an Astronomy module if that's at all your kind of thing. Either of the 1st year astro modules are pretty good from what I hear. :smile:
Original post by Helsy
Yes, they typically do clash. I looked at taking a Geology module back when I was still thinking of doing 1st year, but then I changed to 2nd year entry and lost any chance of taking an extra geology module. :frown:

But you could look into taking an Astronomy module if that's at all your kind of thing. Either of the 1st year astro modules are pretty good from what I hear. :smile:

That would be great, that's the part of physics that interests me the most! It might also be useful for the planetary geology topic.

Thanks
Reply 2158
That would be great, that's the part of physics that interests me the most! It might also be useful for the planetary geology topic.

Thanks

There is nothing stopping you from taking more credits than you want, despite what your adviser might say. If you want to take extra credit, you can. Just remember what's more important. Quite a few friends have did 80/90 credits for both semesters of their first year.

You can take any modules as long as you have the pre-requisites and they are either a 1000 or 2000 level module. If they clash, remember that there are only parts of a module that are compulsory, so if you feel you can do well with missing the lectures then go ahead.

Final note, you're free to switch around within the first 2 weeks so don't worry if you don't like something. You can always pick something else.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Oh-WOW
There will be alot more people with offers for History who will take mediaeval modules. and some who take it up as a third module. I know last year there were about 80 people taking the module. I've taken 3 out of the 4 mediaeval sub honours modules so if you have any questions, let me know :smile:

I've realised that both French and Ancient History start an hour before Mediaeval at 09.00am...do classes last exactly an hour? Or is there time to leg it from one faculty to the next - does it count as a "clash"?

Also, is there an exam/test on the reading list in the first term? I hear at some unis they do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest