The Student Room Group

BIKINIS ... Too revealing?

I just thought about it , how they evolved it to becoming a part of our culture ..
However when parents argue that a dress may be too tight / short... a bikini is much more worse.

I thought about it after reading about the Burqini

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=burkini&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CHEQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.bbc.co.uk%2F2%2Fhi%2F8197917.stm&ei=gP2lT430MY28-QbajZXFAg&usg=AFQjCNGZqfECGehjJLElesfNg8AcONYLDg

and i thought .. it looks okay , bit like a scuba suit with or without a hood.

I think its great for pregnant women, people who do not want to expose their body for burns and weight issues and people who don't want to tan/get sunburnt but still want to enjoy the beach.

What's yr opinion?

negged for stating an opinion. Spank you!

I honestly didn't expect to be negged this much however it seems that people at TSR don't know what an opinion is.

I am presuming that i am negged by horny , salivating guys
I think this rep business is nonsense anyway so go ahead they only make me stronger
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I dont get why French authorities have a problem with this. They say for 'hygeine' reasons its banned. Since when is covering your body less hygienic than not covering your body while swimming. Surely going in half naked exposing everyone to a slurry of dead skin cells, possibly urine and Staph bacteria from skin is worse.
Reply 2
I don't think there's anything wrong with our bodies.
It depends where they are worn.
people should stay out of other people's business.

if they want to wear bikinis then that is fine, if they want to cover themselves that is fine as long as it brings no harm to anyone else...
or is too arousing :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by Stasiaxx
I don't think there's anything wrong with our bodies.

I agree with this. I don't think flesh is anything to be ashamed of. Bikinis are designed for a purpose, which they suit very well.

There are also puposely designed swimsuits for pregnant women and women who are self-conscious about their dress size, without going to the extreme of covering every inch, and I'm not sure why someone who was worried about sunburn wouldn't just use sun block and staying out of the heat a bit.

If someone chooses for religious reasons to cover their body its down to them, but I don't think by virtue of some women choosing to do that, women who don't should be looked down upon for wearing clothes which are "too revealing", when a bikini is a perfectly acceptable item of clothing in Western culture.
Why hide your natural body which is always going to be there? Vitamin D you gain from the sun is essential for your health. Also, your on a beach, or in a pool, why cover up? You can if you want but to suggest the bikini is too revealing is just rubbish, fgs. Everyone knows you can wear what you want, so why suggest anything is too extreme? Although I can see where the hygiene argument comes in.
Can you imagine how uncomfortable it would be to wear one of those?
It'd probably be quite dangerous to wear all over black on an extremely hot beach :/
Reply 8
Original post by justmyopinions
Why hide your natural body which is always going to be there? Vitamin D you gain from the sun is essential for your health. Also, your on a beach, or in a pool, why cover up? You can if you want but to suggest the bikini is too revealing is just rubbish, fgs. Everyone knows you can wear what you want, so why suggest anything is too extreme? Although I can see where the hygiene argument comes in.

How? the hygiene argument sounds nonsense!
Reply 9
Original post by daniellelouise
Can you imagine how uncomfortable it would be to wear one of those?
It'd probably be quite dangerous to wear all over black on an extremely hot beach :/

The come in all colors....
Reply 10
You sound like you have no confidence, everyone should be happy with their body.
Original post by YaaahSarah
How? the hygiene argument sounds nonsense!

true, but she obviously is self-conscious.
An unpopular position and I'm not anti-bikini but I do think bikinis are quite revealing. Sure, there's nothing wrong with our bodies but don't you find it strange that you are virtually naked, just bits of fabric covering your nipples and your vagina, in front of lots of people you don't know, have never met and will never speak to? You would never really want to be in that position anywhere else but it's suddenly acceptable if water is close and if everyone else is doing it. I like my body just fine but I always at least wear a one-piece because I don't want people I don't know (and some people I do know) to see me near naked. And I find it funny that a lot of the girls that complain about how other girls are going out with short skirts and their boobs out and look "slutty" and should cover up or leave a little to the imagination are perfectly fine uploading pictures of themselves in bikinis, an outfit which makes it pretty much impossible to leave anything to the imagination at all.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cats are cool
An unpopular position and I'm not anti-bikini but I do think bikinis are quite revealing. Sure, there's nothing wrong with our bodies but don't you find it strange that you are virtually naked, just bits of fabric covering your nipples and your vagina, in front of lots of people you don't know, have never met and will never speak to? You would never really want to be in that position anywhere else but it's suddenly acceptable if water is close and if everyone else is doing it. I like my body just fine but I always at least wear a one-piece because I don't want people I don't know (and some people I do know) to see me near naked. And I find it funny that a lot of the girls that complain about how other girls are going out with short skirts and their boobs out and look "slutty" and should cover up or leave a little to the imagination are perfectly fine uploading pictures of themselves in bikinis, an outfit which makes it pretty much impossible to leave anything to the imagination at all.

I'd largely agree with this - there's nothing wrong with a human body, but bikinis are very revealing. What I never understand with them is girls who wouldn't want to get caught wandering around in just underwear are quite happy to wear bikinis. :confused: They are basically the same thing...
Reply 14
Original post by Killuminati1989
I dont get why French authorities have a problem with this. They say for 'hygeine' reasons its banned. Since when is covering your body less hygienic than not covering your body while swimming. Surely going in half naked exposing everyone to a slurry of dead skin cells, possibly urine and Staph bacteria from skin is worse.

The reasoning behind it is they don't want you to wear anything you might have worn as normal clothing around town first, as it gets mucky compared to something you just bring for swimming. It's the same reason they ban guys from wearing anything apart from speedos at public swimming pools and to be fair they are very strict on showering before swimming in my experience.

Don't think it's particularly logical though, as there's no way of knowing when the speedos/one piece/bikini have last been washed for a start.

EDIT: In spite of disagreeing with France's interpretation of multiculturalism, particularly with regard to Muslims, this rule at swimming pools predates La Loi Stasi, which bans the covering of the face in public, the Hijab is still allowed (for now), so it's not due to that. Though if it did include a full face cover then it wouldn't be permitted, as a swimming pool is usually a public owned building
(edited 11 years ago)
I think the cut out swim suits are generally nicer than most bikini's but most girls tend to be going for the all over tan, hence the fewer white marks the better.

The whole French thing is just they would like French Muslims rather than Muslims in France. They are just legislating to make it uncomfortable for them to do otherwise. Its not particular nice, but personally I wouldn't move to a country whose values I didn't agree with, so I have little sympathy for those who do.
bikinis are fine... burquinis look like a sack imo and i imagine they are very restrictive and potentially dangerous while swimming... also i can see there being hygiene issues... if you go swimming in a burqini you may as well not go swimming at all... i can't imagine it being an enjoyable experience... then again i can't see wearing a burqa being an enjoyable experience either... anyway while i respect the decision of women to wear a burqa IF THEY CHOOSE TO (unfortunately i get the impression more often than not it isn't a choice, even if the woman feels she is making the choice)... i would never wear that burqini through choice....

i really don't see the difference between a bikini and a swimming cosume tbh the only different is that your stomach/back is on show... it really annoys me when people judge you for **** like this... there is NOTHING wrong with the human body. do you think men should cover up completely too?

FYI those complaining about how the french are using hygiene as an excuse for the ban of burqinis... many french swimming pools make men wear speedos for hygiene reasons... why should women be any different?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
There's nothing wrong with a bikini, if people want to get a tan and enjoy the beach in a bikini then let them! I love them.
Reply 18
Original post by Killuminati1989

I believe in swimming pools in France it's customary (perhaps even required) to shower before going in. Although if it's the sea we're talking about then any hygeine argument against them is stupid, there's probably far worse things in the sea already.

If someone wants to wear a burqini, that's their choice. I'm sure they have positives and negatives, but it's up to the individual to weigh them up. No one else's opinion should matter. As much as I like seeing women in bikinis, they don't have to display their flesh if they don't want to.
Reply 19
Well I'm damn near a nudist.
I think we should just get rid of clothes and this shallow idiocy man has created.

If we were all naked, there wouldn't be idiots thinking "fashion" matters.
We would save money, we could travel much lighter, it stops waste of time and water washing them.
And with nudity being a regular thing I reckon body issues and such would be in serious decline.
People wouldn't be embarassed about nudity any more, we shouldn't be, that is how we are brought into this world! It's only skin.

I reckon everyone should just be naked, fat, thin, good looking, ugly, big dicks, small dicks, sausage tits. It doesn't matter, we're all the same underneath it all, I cannot tell you how liberating it is just sitting around watching tv ******* naked in your own house. I love it.

People should be able to show as much or as little skin as they want.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending