The Student Room Group

COMPETITION - Will you study at The Open University for FREE?

Scroll to see replies

My degree finishes in 2014, I then plan on doing a masters/PHD.

Theoretically would I be able to start doing an OU course on a different subject to that which I'm studying at the minute and start it by Sept 2013 and carry it on alongside my other degree?
Reply 41
Ive gone for a simple engineering app, its so simple i wish i knew how to make apps, then id be able to pay for the course out of the profits. By the way who keeps the intellectual property rights to the app? If I win I'd go for an MEng course.
Reply 42
Original post by greeneyedgirl
My degree finishes in 2014, I then plan on doing a masters/PHD.

Theoretically would I be able to start doing an OU course on a different subject to that which I'm studying at the minute and start it by Sept 2013 and carry it on alongside my other degree?

Hi,
Sorry for the delay in replying. I am still waiting for clarification on this for you but I'll get back to you as soon as I can! :smile:

Original post by 25095514
Ive gone for a simple engineering app, its so simple i wish i knew how to make apps, then id be able to pay for the course out of the profits. By the way who keeps the intellectual property rights to the app? If I win I'd go for an MEng course.

This isn't my area so I will check with the rest of the team and let you know.
Are you already studying for a BEng course at another university, then? :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Open Uni

This isn't my area so I will check with the rest of the team and let you know.
Are you already studying for a BEng course at another university, then? :smile:

yes i just finished a BEng telecoms & network engineering degree hopefully with a 2:1 (fingers crossed)
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi,
Sorry for the delay in replying. I am still waiting for clarification on this for you but I'll get back to you as soon as I can! :smile:

No worries, as long as I find out before the deadline for entry it's all good :yep:
Reply 45
Original post by 25095514

Hi, sorry for the delayed reply. I can confirm that if the winning app is built, the OU will retain intellectual property rights.
Good luck with your degree, I hope you get the classification you want! Waiting for final results is horrible!!

Original post by greeneyedgirl
No worries, as long as I find out before the deadline for entry it's all good :yep:

I can confirm that as the prize is for £15k of tuition, you would be able to take undergrad level courses in 2013 followed by a postgraduate one once you had finished your current undergraduate degree. Essentially, the £15,000 will be put into a student account for you to use on tuition. You would also need to confirm with your current university that they were okay with you being matriculated at two institutions at the same time.
I can confirm that as the prize is for £15k of tuition, you would be able to take undergrad level courses in 2013 followed by a postgraduate one once you had finished your current undergraduate degree. Essentially, the £15,000 will be put into a student account for you to use on tuition. You would also need to confirm with your current university that they were okay with you being matriculated at two institutions at the same time.

Cool thanks :yy:
just entered my idea, and it should in principle be able to aid students from pretty much all subject areas...but we'll see how it goes :smile:
Reply 48
Forget open university. I want someone to pay for my 27grand debt, that i'm going to soon be in :frown:
Reply 49
Original post by DaHogz
Forget open university. I want someone to pay for my 27grand debt, that i'm going to soon be in :frown:

Well, if you enter our competition and end up winning the top tuition fee prize then you won't have 27k of debt because you'll have been able to study at the OU for free! :smile:
I have an awesome idea (I think) that would help students on any degree at any UK university.

When and where do the results get published?
Reply 51
Original post by Funky_Climber
I have an awesome idea (I think) that would help students on any degree at any UK university.

When and where do the results get published?

After the closing date we will spend some time looking at all of the entries to determine the winner and we will announce it on TSR. The winner will also be notified via PM and email before we publicise the winning entry on TSR.

Good luck with your entry :smile:
Reply 52
I have entered "TheStudentNetwork"
Reply 53
Original post by darkfang77
Entered for the posterity (+runners up). The 150/50 word limit didn't really help me at all since I can't qualify my reasoning without underemphasising other reasons or demonstrate precise analysis from other similar apps.

I don't know how passionate/focused the rest of the applicants are on their respective appls. or how they effectively they used their word limits but I seriously found it difficult to efficiently specify objectives/aims and make my idea sound serious.

Although it wouldn't count if everyone else is on the same lines as me lol!

Good Luck all!

The OU loves its world limits. By complaining about them, you're already starting to sound like an OU student!! :biggrin:
What if I already applied to university? My idea is awesome and I feel like I can win top prize (LOL)
Wooh I entered with 'UNIte'

Facebook Unite.jpg

:goodluck: everyone!!

:party:
x
Reply 56
im entring now any one wanna spill what ideas you have submitted ?? as i think i go the winner lol :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 57
Hi, sorry for the delayed reply. I can confirm that if the winning app is built, the OU will retain intellectual property rights.
Good luck with your degree, I hope you get the classification you want! Waiting for final results is horrible!!

cheers for the reply, it looks like i got a 2:1
My entry is called "Multicard" :P Let see how well that goes down....
Reply 59
I can't study at the open university, so I've just entered purely for the iTunes voucher.

Quick Reply

Latest