The Student Room Group

AQA A2 BIOL5 22nd June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ecokid
Cheers! That helps! Do you know how much depth we have to go into on each point? I find the genetic stuff a nightmare to talk about concisely. Also in regards to the non-curriculum specific stuff: is it suppose to be detailed or a sentence or two at most?

Our teacher just seemed to stop bothering in the last term as he was leaving the school at the end of the year. No one feels very prepared at all in our class. :frown:

My teacher gave our class a sheet every time we did a practice essay, I'll describe what gives you the top mark in each category.

Scientific content: Exceptional (16/16)

'Material accurate and of a high standard throughout, reflecting a sound understand of the principles involved and a knowledge of factual detail fully in keeping with a programme of A level study. In addition there are some significant references to material that indicates greater depth of breadth of study.'

Breadth of knowledge: (3/3)

'A balanced account making reference to most if not all areas that might realistically be covered on an A-level course of study.'

Relevance: (3/3)

'All material presented is clearly relevant to the title. Allowance should be made of judicious use of introductory material.'

Quality of language: (3/3)

'Material is logically presented in clear, scientific English. Technical terminology has been used effectively and accurately throughout'.

Other things my teacher recommended:

- Write about at least one topic from each unit.
- Write more about the A2 side - key point
- Don't draw diagrams unless you can't explain it by writing. After all, what's the point in drawing a diagram, just to explain it in words (wasting time?)

I read on the AQA website also that you should do a maximum of 10-12 lines per point (or topic).

Hope this helped :smile:
I just woke up from my sleep with a vision.

'Describe how temperature affects organisms'

:zomg:

'Outline the different cells in organisms and how they are adapted for their functions'

Original post by James A

'Outline the different cells in organisms and how they are adapted for their functions'

Oh lord...
Reply 483
Anyone bought the "Writing the synoptic essay" book? i got it but haven't read through any of it yet
Original post by jessplease
how are people recognising which things they could use from the syllabus for essay, my mind just goes blank, even though i do remember AS stuff i still cant remember the right things :frown:

maybe practise writing lists of topics that you would associate with a keyword, would help jog your memory in the exam
e.g. "glucose" and then all the parts of the syllabus relative to it - blood glucose regulation, a-glucose, b-glucose, starch digestion, glycolysis/aerobic resp...
or "variation" - speciation, DNA mutation, meiosis, selection (directional/stabilising).......

This might be effective for you in order to familiarise yourself with the syllabus and how all the topics link together. And after you've done that, maybe start planning for more specific essay Qs :smile: Put spider diagrams on your wall!
Reply 485
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
Oh lord...

Original post by James A

I could do the temperature one I reckon, quite a bit to bring in i think.
Reply 486
Original post by Rahmeh.
Anyone bought the "Writing the synoptic essay" book? i got it but haven't read through any of it yet

Just ordered it :smile:
Reply 487
Unit 5 notes and synoptic essay
Question 10 on the Specimen paper is difficult, hope we don't get a question like that.
Reply 489
Original post by Rizzy J

I HAVE JUST ORDERED THIS BOOK! :angry:

Time to cancel :P

...and thank you :biggrin:
Reply 490
Original post by Rizzy J

Are them
All the bullet points for unit 5, look good :smile:
Original post by Dollyandra
maybe practise writing lists of topics that you would associate with a keyword, would help jog your memory in the exam
e.g. "glucose" and then all the parts of the syllabus relative to it - blood glucose regulation, a-glucose, b-glucose, starch digestion, glycolysis/aerobic resp...
or "variation" - speciation, DNA mutation, meiosis, selection (directional/stabilising).......

This might be effective for you in order to familiarise yourself with the syllabus and how all the topics link together. And after you've done that, maybe start planning for more specific essay Qs :smile: Put spider diagrams on your wall!

Thankyou!
Original post by Rizzy J

Did you write those notes? Some look like answers from past lpapers, which is great! I went through a billion past papers to remember answers similar to aqa style too :smile:
Reply 493
Original post by jessplease
Did you write those notes? Some look like answers from past lpapers, which is great! I went through a billion past papers to remember answers similar to aqa style too :smile:

Didn't write them, found them on the net
Original post by Rizzy J

Cheers!

The first essay on page 23 is something that i could reproduce, but actually being able to write out that essay in around half an hour excluding planning will be tough.

I guess the key to a good essay is getting a good plan, then the knowledge will flow as we actually get pen to paper.......

But half an hour is gonna be tough for so many lines :zomg:
Reply 495
Original post by James A
Cheers!

The first essay on page 23 is something that i could reproduce, but actually being able to write out that essay in around half an hour excluding planning will be tough.

I guess the key to a good essay is getting a good plan, then the knowledge will flow as we actually get pen to paper.......

But half an hour is gonna be tough for so many lines :zomg:

That's my problem with the essay, the amount of time, to write a detailed 3-4 page essay and plan in ~40 mins is tough.
Original post by JJMick
That's my problem with the essay, the amount of time, to write a detailed 3-4 page essay and plan in ~40 mins is tough.

Not to mention, I'll be clock watching throughout the exam. Especially during the last 40 minutes we have for the essay :lol:

For some parts of the example essays, they go over 10 lines per point/paragraph which AQA does not recommend. Also, the lines that we write on in the actual exam are shorter than the lines in the document......

Also, I have a suspicion that the essays written, the writers forgot to take into account we have 30 minutes to write it excluding planning time. They probably took much longer to write it up.....

But these essays are of the highest calibre, without doubt and the length of them should be treated with a little caution :rofl:
does anyone have the specification exam paper for Unit 5????
Original post by Smiley Face :)
does anyone have the specification exam paper for Unit 5????

http://www.thomas-reddington.com/uploads/7/7/8/3/778329/bio_u5_ms_specimen.pdf
:smile:
Reply 499
Original post by Rizzy J

i bought that :| :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending