The Student Room Group

Write your degree properly in the CV

Hello

In your CV, how do you properly write your degree? Say you got a first class degree in business management from southampton university or whatever. How do you that put onto paper?

Education (example)

First class honours degree Business management
Southampton University 2000-2003

It's seems a little tacky, how do you make it more professional? Isn't there some nice acronyms you can use?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
2000 to 2003: BA/BSc ______________ (1st Class) - Southampton University

Something like that, perhaps? Don't worry too much about it. :smile:
Reply 2
Cheers for that. But I want to worry, because I want it to look professional.

BA stands for bachelor right? What does BSc stand for and why should I put both?
Reply 3
BA = Bachelor of arts
BSc - Bachelor of science

You only need to put whichever one you got.
Reply 4
Lol, first class degree and you don't know what BA stands for...maybe its just me that finds that funny :biggrin:
Reply 5
Lofty
Lol, first class degree and you don't know what BA stands for...maybe its just me that finds that funny :biggrin:

Where have I mentioned that I have got a first class degree?

But I'm very happy that I have amused you :smile:

But since you seem like such an intelligent gentleman yourself, please feel free to tell me how to write it properly. (you can change the first class degree to any degree you like)
--------------------

What acronym do you put for bachelor of business?
Reply 6
Which university, I'm guessing its just a normal Business Studies degree in which case it could be either a BA or a BSc depending on the course.
Reply 7
jonny2
Where have I mentioned that I have got a first class degree?

But I'm very happy that I have amused you :smile:

But since you seem like such an intelligent gentleman yourself, please feel free to tell me how to write it properly. (you can change the first class degree to any degree you like)
--------------------

What acronym do you put for bachelor of business?

Whatever your uni awards for that degree.
Reply 8
Nutter
2000 to 2003: BA/BSc ______________ (1st Class) - Southampton University

Something like that, perhaps? Don't worry too much about it. :smile:

I normally only write the year it was awarded.

BSc(Hons) Blah Blah Blah (2/1) University of *******s. 2001
Reply 9
2008 2012: ---------- BA Business and Management (Hons) ----------- Cardiff University
Classification: 2:2

Simply listing the bare-minimum information may not do justice to the time, money and effort you have dedicated to earning your degree! Therefore, it is recommended to elaborate on your studies in relationship to the relevant and/or significant:

Modules;

Projects, and;

Dissertation information.

See: http://www.cvplaza.com/cv-education-and-training/degree-on-a-cv/
Batchelor of Arts or Batchelor of Science, depends what you studied.
Original post by J-SP
The formats suggested by other posters are fine. By aware what is expected for your sector though.

For instance some will not want to see your modules or module results, others will.

I agree with potentially adding details in about what optional modules you took or dissertation subject, but only if your academics are relevant to the career you are pursuing. There is not point listing these details if your degree is in fine art and you are applying to a finance/professional services grad programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree with this, having a degree shows the potential to learn and shows that you have the capability to complete a degree so whether the degree be relevant to the job being applied for or not I don't believe matters. I would include it regardless.
Original post by jonny2
Hello

In your CV, how do you properly write your degree? Say you got a first class degree in business management from southampton university or whatever. How do you that put onto paper?

Education (example)

First class honours degree Business management
Southampton University 2000-2003

It's seems a little tacky, how do you make it more professional? Isn't there some nice acronyms you can use?

Include your modules and your mark in each one (if you've consistently done well across)
Original post by J-SP
That is all obvious from the degree title and grade. I meant you wouldn't need to include the detail (module grades/dissertation title etc) if it is irrelevant to the job you are applying to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok, my apologies, I thought you meant to not include the degree on the CV at all.
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Include your modules and your mark in each one (if you've consistently done well across)

Seems a bit excessive..

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's wasting valuable space.

Unless you've got nothing else to put on your CV like work experience or extracurricular achievements, this is a waste of CV space.

If you're applying for a role where certain modules you did well in would be relevant then I would put something like 'modules of interest: X (y%); Z (y%)' but there's really no need to document every single module. Some courses have 8 or more half modules per year so over 3 or even 4 years, that would take up most of your CV!
The age of the thread, I suspect the OP has gotten the answer they need. I would recommend starting a new topic for discussion :smile: