The Student Room Group

AS General Studies Revision

hi,
i do general studies OCR AS, i have the general studies paper coming up in a week. I was wondering if anyone knew how to revise for it, also any notes would be helpful. I am alright at section A, but i really struggle on section B where you have to write the 40 mark essay. Any tips.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A tip from my awesome General Studies teacher: the GS papers are written up to four years before the actual exam (bizarre, I know, but it's true - hence paper leakage scandals), so it might be a good idea to see what was current in the news between two and four years ago. Brainstorm those topics and possibly remember any interesting statistics you come across, as they strengthen any argument. Anecdotal evidence is perfectly fine too.

As for section B - as for any essay you do, prepare a plan before you start writing it, as it's possible to gain marks on organisation, and it shows the script marker where you were going to go with your answer, should you run out of time.
Reply 2
Lidia
A tip from my awesome General Studies teacher: the GS papers are written up to four years before the actual exam (bizarre, I know, but it's true - hence paper leakage scandals)

Actually, I think most subjects do that. If the leak is out early, they replace the papers, they have 1-2 back-up papers. So I've heard.
Reply 3
fblade
Actually, I think most subjects do that. If the leak is out early, they replace the papers, they have 1-2 back-up papers. So I've heard.

Quite, but I didn't see the point talking about other subjects in a GS thread.

It's weird to think when you sit a paper that it might have been around longer than you've been doing a subject...
Reply 4
Lidia
Quite, but I didn't see the point talking about other subjects in a GS thread.

It's weird to think when you sit a paper that it might have been around longer than you've been doing a subject...

I know:p: :redface: .

Yeah its a little weird. I don't understand why they make it that early, they're just questions. Some teachers make up questions on the spot, are they like trainee teachers :P
Reply 5
thanks for the tips
Reply 6
fblade
I know:p: :redface: .

Yeah its a little weird. I don't understand why they make it that early, they're just questions. Some teachers make up questions on the spot, are they like trainee teachers :P

Well, each question has to give scope for all the Assessment Objectives, and there has to be a variety of topics, so most candidates have a chance of finding a topic that they're fairly knowlegeable on. And don't forget that markschemes have to be written as well, and the scriptmarker must be aware of them. I think on top of that too, it's just good to be organised, especially when you're running something like an exam board, where time is critical.

doggydogfoot
thanks for the tips

You're welcome. :smile:
Reply 7
Any tips on how to answer the long essay type questions?
I have my exam tomorrow, and I haven't even been taught ANYTHING on the subject. We only found out on Friday that we needed a calculator for one of the papers. SO, I don't even think I'll be sitting the paper!
However, there are several websites available for revision, just type into google "General Studies Revision" many websites come up!
Good luck!
Reply 9
what CALCULATOR tomorrow???? Even for AQA A as?
I'm doing AQA B tomorrow, and I've not had a lesson in this subject in my life!
You need compasses and a protractor too; it says so on the spec =[
xx
Reply 11
:eek:
I need a calculator and potractor?!

Theres no way i'm going to pass this exam.. :redface:
lol jus gt back frm it.in my school they dnt teach it but we still have to sit it..i literally went in blind not knowing wt to expect..i heard that schools get paid to get people to sit them thats why i had2 do it.noone was given any choice at all lol
Reply 13
^ They dont teach it?!

We have one lesson a week of it, but we dont actually do anything.
The exam today was easy though, just soo much writing!
I have a general studies exam tomorrow - the one with the maths and stuff - does anyone know what I'll need to bring?
Reply 15
^ I'd also like to know :smile:
Reply 16
Why are you doing that one tommorow...we did it on monday but that was with Edexcel.
Take a calculator and a pen and thats all you need. Calculator isnt even needed if you can write out sums etc...simple maths really!
I had one on monday too. I think it's AQA - but the one on monday was a resit, coz I failed the one I did in January! oops!! oh dear - am dreading the one today coz I can't do maths!!!
Reply 18
You'll need a protractor and a calculator because they may ask you to draw a Pie Chart. They will give you some data, and you have to work out the percentages of it and then put it into a Pie Chart.

They might not ask for a Pie Chart, it could be a Bar Chart too.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 19
General studies in an hour :biggrin:

I have two of them this afternoon, unit 1 and 2.

Quick Reply

Latest