The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Applying for Stranmillis Sept 2011

Hey Guys,

I am planning on applying for Stan to do Business and Enterprise with Education.

I know a few people who applied last year and did not even get an interview on the basis of thier Personal Statement. Does anyone have any tips on what I can put into my Personal Statement.

And is there anyone else applying for Stran this year?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi I have applied to Stran to do Technology & Design with Education and I havent heard anything back. One of my friends applied to do Primary Teaching and also Early Years but got rejected from both on the same day which was at the end of October...
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 2
Hey :smile:
Im applying to Stranmillis to do Primary teaching and Early years but still havnt heard anything back :frown:
AmyGreer your comment about your ffriend has made me worry abit!!!! :s
Do you have any idea why she got rejected from both?
I really hate waiting!!! :s
Reply 3
Hi. I applied for Technology and Design with education also. I still havent heard anything back yet either. I only had my interview on wednesday. How long does it usually take ?
Reply 4
Hey Hollie :smile:
I had may interview last thursday but im not sure when we hear back... Hopfully it wont be too long!!! But if i hear anything ill let you know:smile:

How did you find the interview? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by jodie33

Original post by jodie33
Hey Hollie :smile:
I had may interview last thursday but im not sure when we hear back... Hopfully it wont be too long!!! But if i hear anything ill let you know:smile:

How did you find the interview? :smile:

Hey Jodie, have you found out anything yet? I had mine on Thursday 13th January
Reply 6
Hi there :smile:

I havnt heard anything back yet...:frown:

Although my friend got rejected last week... and I heard that another girl in my class got rejected from both early years and primary teaching...

But I think the successful applicants hear back about March time... But thats just what I'v heard! lol

What about you?
Have you had any word back? Or do you know or anyone else that has heard back?
:smile:
Reply 7
Hi! I've applied for Maths and Science Teaching at Stranmillis and had my interview at the start of January there.
my friend is at stranmillis in first year there and said that she got here offer from stranmillis at the start of March usually the first or second week.
I can't stand all this waiting though!!! I've heard nothing since my interview :frown:
Reply 8
has anyone done the interview on what you feel to be the most significant development in education in n.i. in recent years?

i have mine on the 18th and i'm so nervous. are the questions they ask you after the presentation difficult?
Original post by Scoachie
has anyone done the interview on what you feel to be the most significant development in education in n.i. in recent years?

i have mine on the 18th and i'm so nervous. are the questions they ask you after the presentation difficult?

Well the ni curriculum was revised in 2007 and it reinforced more interactive things and areas of learning.

“Children learn best when learning is interactive, practical and enjoyable." is a quote from the curriculum. Explain about applying this

Look at curriculum and deni website. Speak about stem maybe. What are you increased in???

Also speak about the diversity in the classroom, increase on eal children etc.:smile:
Reply 10
Hi i know the pgce application deadline for early years closed on feb 1st.... Ive applied way before this date but havnt heard ne word back has any one heard back about this course or interview even ?
Reply 11
hey there! i have also applied for the pgce at stran an d i emailed them askin when they would be notifying those who will be gettin interviews... their reply was ' we havent yet set interview dates, but those who are successful will be told in due course'.. so i have no idea!! their website says interviews are held betwen feb-march and then u hear in april. can i ask wat degree u did?
Reply 12
Hi there,

I also have interview on 18th, dreading it. Presentation on the changes in the development of education in recent years. I have an idea of what i want to say. But should i do it factual or just my views. Also it asks how this change effects you. I however do not have experience in classroom therefore it doesn't directly effect me, (i know a lot of people applying have work placement in schools already) how should i deal with this? (I am mature student and been out of school for over ten years and doing access course) Any help would be much appreciated. Also any ideas what questions i may get asked?
Reply 13
tradingmyheartforyours thanks for the help :smile: that's what the teacher I help said to do. I was considering that or about the transfer test...I'm worried I won't be able to talk about either for 5mins. I'm not too good at presentations or interviews :s
Original post by Scoachie
tradingmyheartforyours thanks for the help :smile: that's what the teacher I help said to do. I was considering that or about the transfer test...I'm worried I won't be able to talk about either for 5mins. I'm not too good at presentations or interviews :s

Is it just one thing you have to mention?

You could do assessment as opposed to just the transfer test?
INCAS (for example) http://www.nicurriculum.org.uk/key_stages_1_and_2/assessment/

- Talk about Assessment for learning
- Assessment is formative and how you would get children to self assess.
- positives and negatives of it
There are no statutory keystage exam.

- You could structure it:
In the classroom :
-formative, summative, diagnostic
- Diagnostic assessment: The Way Forward document - early intervention.
- A renewed emphasis on assessing and immediate feedback - AFL
see: -
http://www.nicurriculum.org.uk/docs/assessment_for_learning/AfL_A%20Practical%20Guide.pdf

- Peer evaluation/ self evaluation.
- Check to see what areas are assessed and think about thinking skills and personal capabilities which are to be assessed.

http://www.nicurriculum.org.uk/key_stages_1_and_2/assessment/

School level
- Incas
- Feedback to parents

External
- the hindrances of transfer test
- some children having to take two
- Potential divisive: protestants take one test basically and catholic schools do a different one - so you can't really put on your form a true selection of schools.

Tell me what you decide to do. The time really does fly in. :smile:
Reply 15
i have mine Tomorrow too, i'm soo screwed for it, i dont have a clue what i'm supposed to talk about or include or anything!!
Original post by sazzyg1
i have mine Tomorrow too, i'm soo screwed for it, i dont have a clue what i'm supposed to talk about or include or anything!!

What is your presentation question??
Reply 17
last minute cramming...trying to find difficulties with the teaching profession lol. my heads melted with my presentation :s have decided to do it on the revised curriculum so hopefully what i'm saying will make sense and won't be totally down the wrong path :/ argh!!! good luck sazzyg1...lemmie know how you get on :smile:
Reply 18
Hi all. Had my interview for Stranmillis last Friday and it was one of the most humiliating experiences of my life. One of the people who interviewed me was a primary school principal and when I got to the end of my presentation I had a quote about what a teacher needed to be, when I said "In the words of Benjamin Franklin.." he sniggerred, like I was the biggest idiot in the world. I had to then finish my quote and sit down and answer about 5 questions after he'd just made me feel like a complete d**k. My friend had her interview today and she said her interviewers weren't quite that bad but they didn't exactly put her at ease. I wouldn't like to think I'm being too sensitive but it just didn't seen very proffessional, also my interviewers didn't take notes, I thought that was a bit strange too. Anybody want to comment on their experience?
Reply 19
Original post by mswendy

Original post by mswendy
Hi all. Had my interview for Stranmillis last Friday and it was one of the most humiliating experiences of my life. One of the people who interviewed me was a primary school principal and when I got to the end of my presentation I had a quote about what a teacher needed to be, when I said "In the words of Benjamin Franklin.." he sniggerred, like I was the biggest idiot in the world. I had to then finish my quote and sit down and answer about 5 questions after he'd just made me feel like a complete d**k. My friend had her interview today and she said her interviewers weren't quite that bad but they didn't exactly put her at ease. I wouldn't like to think I'm being too sensitive but it just didn't seen very proffessional, also my interviewers didn't take notes, I thought that was a bit strange too. Anybody want to comment on their experience?

Hey I had a similar experience. They weren't friendly at all!! They made me even more nervous, I was rejected

Quick Reply

Latest