The Student Room Group

Can I retake my maths GCSE?????

Dear TSR,

I have just finished my AS - levels and have missed the opportunity to do re take my maths exam tomorrow. I am currently on a B Grade and need an A which I know I can easily get so no problems there. But I am struggling to see when i will be able to do it? Like would I have o do it in my year of college?? Or could it be taken before that also I need the A grade to show the uni I want to apply to will I be to late?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by CityTrader
Dear TSR,

I have just finished my AS - levels and have missed the opportunity to do re take my maths exam tomorrow. I am currently on a B Grade and need an A which I know I can easily get so no problems there. But I am struggling to see when i will be able to do it? Like would I have o do it in my year of college?? Or could it be taken before that also I need the A grade to show the uni I want to apply to will I be to late?

Thanks in advance.

If you're too late to be entered into this round of exams then I guess you'll have to wait 'til January which will be too late.

P.S. I thought you said in another thread that you already had an A at GCSE?
Reply 2
I'm sure you could do it in January? I'm not sure how GCSE re-takes work.

But you'll be able to do it before uni definitely, it's almost as definite as ln(1) = 0!!
Reply 3
Original post by tateco
If you're too late to be entered into this round of exams then I guess you'll have to wait 'til January which will be too late.

P.S. I thought you said in another thread that you already had an A at GCSE?

Ah sh**!

Will it be to late as I would of submitted my UCAS etc??

Yep my Bad I did write I got an A grade, I mistyped it.

Should I write to the uni and see what they say?
Reply 4
Ah sh**!

Will it be to late as I would of submitted my UCAS etc??

Yep my Bad I did write I got an A grade, I mistyped it.

Should I write to the uni and see what they say?

You'll have to talk to your exams officer or something and ask if it's possible for you to be entered some other time. Do they do exams in November sometimes? Either way it still might not be enough, if the application deadline for UCAS is early January then you will have to submit it as a B (or pending maybe?)

It would be best to contact the admissions tutors and see what they say.
Reply 5
You can retake your Maths GCSE in November so I suggest you work damn hard over summer to get the grade you want. Don't think its worth contacting unis about this since you past in first time round.
Reply 6
Original post by nerimon18
You can retake your Maths GCSE in November so I suggest you work damn hard over summer to get the grade you want. Don't think its worth contacting unis about this since you past in first time round.

Ok thank you for that, So I shall tell my Head of Maths at my school that I want to retake this paper in November - and I will indeed work hard over the summer - which dosent bother me as I enjoy the subject.

And will it be in time for when I submit my application?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Whilst it is technically possible to resit in November you will have to find an exam centre willing to let you, and this may be expensive. Not all centres will already be holding the exam, so whilst they can put it on just for you they may want you to pay all the extra costs, which will include things like room hire, invigilator wages etc as well as just the cost of the exam.
Ok thank you for that, So I shall tell my Head of Maths at my school that I want to retake this paper in November - and I will indeed work hard over the summer - which dosent bother me as I enjoy the subject.

And will it be in time for when I submit my application?

Going by 2011:

GCSE November results - January 13th
UCAS deadline - January 15th.

So to be honest with you, it isn't really possible to have done it in time for when you submit your application.
Reply 9
Original post by Competencies
Going by 2011:

GCSE November results - January 13th
UCAS deadline - January 15th.

So to be honest with you, it isn't really possible to have done it in time for when you submit your application.

Ok, so bottom line it can't be done?
Reply 10

Ok, so bottom line it can't be done?

That says to me it can be done. Just make sure you start the rest of your application before you get your results.
Reply 11
Original post by Juno
That says to me it can be done. Just make sure you start the rest of your application before you get your results.

Ok thanks, when you say start you App - what does actually mean? Is it like PS etc.
Ok thanks, when you say start you App - what does actually mean? Is it like PS etc.

Well I'm guessing Juno is saying to get your entire UCAS application finished (PS etc.) and then on the 13th Jan put in your new Maths GCSE grade and send your completed UCAS application off ASAP.

So, yes it can be done, but only if you're happy sending your application a day or two before the deadline.
Reply 13
Original post by Competencies
Well I'm guessing Juno is saying to get your entire UCAS application finished (PS etc.) and then on the 13th Jan put in your new Maths GCSE grade and send your completed UCAS application off ASAP.

So, yes it can be done, but only if you're happy sending your application a day or two before the deadline.

Oh yer that would be fine, I suppose I could work on my PS and the other things over the summer and I have already given it some thought, I just despertly need that A grade!

When is it that people tend to send off there app aswell?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14

Oh yer that would be fine, I suppose I could work on my PS and the other things over the summer and I have already given it some thought, I just despertly need that A grade!

When is it that people tend to send off there app aswell?

Does it matter when other people send it? The deadline is January 15th, and that means you're guaranteed equal consideration. People who know nothing about the UCAS process will say things like "OMG you have to apply by Christmas/November/other arbitrary date" but, well, they didn't write half of the TSR wiki.
Reply 15
Original post by Juno
Does it matter when other people send it? The deadline is January 15th, and that means you're guaranteed equal consideration. People who know nothing about the UCAS process will say things like "OMG you have to apply by Christmas/November/other arbitrary date" but, well, they didn't write half of the TSR wiki.

Haha well put! And thank you for your help, this has given me a bit if releif

And thanks aswell comptencies!
Reply 16

Haha well put! And thank you for your help, this has given me a bit if releif

And thanks aswell comptencies!

You need to keep your teacher informed, as they need to attach your reference after you've sent your bit. Both parts need to be completed before the deadline for you to be on time. But as long as you keep your teacher updated there's no reason it can't be done - they can write the reference and have it ready to attach as soon as you tell them, and as presumably you'll be at school when you get your result you can tell them straight away.

Quick Reply

Latest