The Student Room Group

Southampton Medical School 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Well.... just to change the topic:

Any internationals flying to Soton? I'M STOKED!
Original post by NP473L
Hahaha...I just checked my Track.

On a Sunday :sigh:

Must....revise!! Allure of procrastination....tooo....strong.....AARRGGHH!!!

:crast:

:badger:

Wait what?

would you choose Soton over UCL ?
Offer came through Friday, SO HAPPY :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by dewbear55
Offer came through Friday, SO HAPPY :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Congrats :smile:

Do you mind telling us your stats etc.. and first letter of your surname? Still hanging onto the hope that there's some sort of pattern in which offers are given.

Lmao at how desperate the waiting is getting :redface:
Just thought I'd say, I have had my account on here for ages, and had an old one (forgot the email/passwordcombo) for about 2.5 years... Only tend to post when i have an actual enquiry, but with all the other members sharing what their going through, is it not what this is for, to tell everyone how we're doing?

Congrats to everyone who's got an offer, are you all going to the offer day on the 3rd Feb? I am sure the rest of you guys will get yours through soon too :smile:
Original post by jmillslittle
Congrats :smile:

Do you mind telling us your stats etc.. and first letter of your surname? Still hanging onto the hope that there's some sort of pattern in which offers are given.

Lmao at how desperate the waiting is getting :redface:

6A* 5A at GCSE, AAB at A Level (retaking B in maths, was 1% off A and missed my offer for Liverpool last year because of it). and AB at AS as well. Lots of work experience, sport and music, and was told I had a good PS (had enough practice :tongue:)

Sorry to ruin your pattern, but my surname starts with an I.... Im sure your offer is coming!!!

EDIT: UKCAT 737.5 average
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fallenangel
Well everyone's entitled to their own opinion - so I say we just agree to disagree and leave it there.

Just look at it from the point of view, that WHEN everyone's offers come through, the 'new' members that have just posted, that like me have probably been stalking all these threads for monthssss, and reading the answers to questions we had, already asked, we can all discuss together how happy we shall be at Southampton Medical School. :smile:
Reply 1087
Just thought I'd say, I have had my account on here for ages, and had an old one (forgot the email/passwordcombo) for about 2.5 years... Only tend to post when i have an actual enquiry, but with all the other members sharing what their going through, is it not what this is for, to tell everyone how we're doing?

Congrats to everyone who's got an offer, are you all going to the offer day on the 3rd Feb? I am sure the rest of you guys will get yours through soon too :smile:

First of all massive congratulations for the offer! Another triumph for resitters! :biggrin:
Do you think there would be more than one offer day ? :s-smilie: February 3rd seems a bit soon and I doubt all offers will be sent before that.

Couldn't agree with you more! :grin:
And as for this offer day, is it just like an open day for those lucky peeps with offers?
Reply 1089
Original post by areyousure?
would you choose Soton over UCL ?

If I got an offer, that would be a harder decision that you might think. I really enjoyed the open day, and the campus-quiet(ish) town atmosphere at Southampton was very similar to where I live. I don't know why I applied to 3 London unis actually :tongue:.

On paper, I'd probably take UCL, but yeah...for some reason Southampton had a certain charm to it when I went there. It's still in the running.

[Otherwise I wouldn't be checking my track at clinically insane times :biggrin:]
Reply 1090
6A* 5A at GCSE, AAB at A Level (retaking B in maths, was 1% off A and missed my offer for Liverpool last year because of it). and AB at AS as well. Lots of work experience, sport and music, and was told I had a good PS (had enough practice :tongue:)

Sorry to ruin your pattern, but my surname starts with an I.... Im sure your offer is coming!!!

Congratulations! Great to see resitters with offers. :smile:
I'm in the same situation as you except chemistry instead of maths.
Have you applied to Liverpool again this year? I've applied but haven't heard anything from them at all?
this may seem like an incredibly silly question to all of you.. but this A-level thing is confusing me.. i keep seeing all you guys are up to your eyeballs in revision for exams this month.. so are all the A-levels in January? or is there more in June..? very confuzzling..

PS. i'm Irish.. not just simple. :smile:
Original post by Aysha92
Congratulations! Great to see resitters with offers. :smile:
I'm in the same situation as you except chemistry instead of maths.
Have you applied to Liverpool again this year? I've applied but haven't heard anything from them at all?

Yeah applied there, foolishly thought that they would share my opinion that 1.3% in an exam will mean I would not make the good doctor they thought I would last year by giving an offer :frown: I absolutely LOVE liverpool however and hope to get an interview! Was interviewed in November in 2010 for 2011 entry, seems unlikely I will get anything from them now, but am hoping and wishing!

Where did you apply?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by turnor123
Couldn't agree with you more! :grin:
And as for this offer day, is it just like an open day for those lucky peeps with offers?

I'm not too sure, I'd say its just a chance to get more of a feel of the place we'd get from an interview everywhere else, a chance to see accommodation and meet each other? It seems super early though- considering offers seem to have only just started going out! I couldnt make the open day this year, but went in the 2011 cycle, and am excited to see it all again! :biggrin:
Reply 1094
I'm not too sure, I'd say its just a chance to get more of a feel of the place we'd get from an interview everywhere else, a chance to see accommodation and meet each other? It seems super early though- considering offers seem to have only just started going out! I couldnt make the open day this year, but went in the 2011 cycle, and am excited to see it all again! :biggrin:

I recall that there were a few open days last year. I had an offer towards the end of March and I think there was one after that...but that WAS last year! And to those trying to see a pattern as to how the offers are given out , I really don't think there is one. I think they are uploaded as they come back from the assessors - simple as that.
Original post by myyrh
First of all massive congratulations for the offer! Another triumph for resitters! :biggrin:
Do you think there would be more than one offer day ? :s-smilie: February 3rd seems a bit soon and I doubt all offers will be sent before that.

I know, us resitters are really doing well!! So many people, including teachers, told me not to bother trying again and said I should settle with the other courses I was offered on results day, like biomed/biology! At the end of the day, only 1 offer is needed for us all to make GREAT doctors! :biggrin:

I'm not sure, it does seem early given that offers have only just started coming out!
Reply 1096
Yeah applied there, foolishly thought that they would share my opinion that 1.3% in an exam will mean I would not make the good doctor they thought I would last year by giving an offer :frown: I absolutely LOVE liverpool however and hope to get an interview! Was interviewed in November in 2010 for 2011 entry, seems unlikely I will get anything from them now, but am hoping and wishing!

Where did you apply?

Can't believe how similar our situations are. I also had interview in November 2010 and was 1.2% off an A in chem. Why date was your interview? I know tell me about it, these few marks dont actually make us any less clever/ bad doctors than people who only just got an A. They didn't even care that I had three other a levels other than chem that exceeded their entry criteria. I guess they have to be strict about meetin their conditions otherwise they'll have loads of people in the year.
Applied to BSMS and Lancaster and obviously Southampton. What about you?
Reply 1097
I know, us resitters are really doing well!! So many people, including teachers, told me not to bother trying again and said I should settle with the other courses I was offered on results day, like biomed/biology! At the end of the day, only 1 offer is needed for us all to make GREAT doctors! :biggrin:

I'm not sure, it does seem early given that offers have only just started coming out!

Yeah I experienced the same with teachers fighting with me telling me not to apply, particularly to Southampton :rolleyes: To be fair the teachers are really just looking out for us, to them its unheard of for resitters to get offers :tongue:
Reply 1098
Original post by Aysha92
Can't believe how similar our situations are. I also had interview in November 2010 and was 1.2% off an A in chem. Why date was your interview? I know tell me about it, these few marks dont actually make us any less clever/ bad doctors than people who only just got an A. They didn't even care that I had three other a levels other than chem that exceeded their entry criteria. I guess they have to be strict about meetin their conditions otherwise they'll have loads of people in the year.

tell me about it..I was 0.5% (3 UMS) away from an A in chemistry. I was so annoyed! :frown:.
Original post by Aysha92

Fair play to them not letting us in last year, but I really thought they'd give us a chance to prove we're worth another chance- though I guess there's more time!

Applied to BSMS last year, but Liverpool, Southampton (offer), Lancaster (rejection) and Peninsula (interivew)

Any offers/interviews so far?

Quick Reply

Latest