The Student Room Group

Do any 18 year olds have Amex cards?

have any 18year olds [or there abouts] have an american express charge card? if so may i ask how you got it? i.e. howd you get your credit rating up howd you get the necessary income and how stringent are the conditions for getting one?
just talking about the basic card really not the platinum/gold etc. ones
Ta
Reply 1
rich parents

amex is just a fashion accessory really.. there's no real advantage as far as i can see for paying extortionate amounts for a card...
Reply 2
Original post by laseine
rich parents

amex is just a fashion accessory really.. there's no real advantage as far as i can see for paying extortionate amounts for a card...

this is just personal opinion and all but i was looking at the basic card which you dont have to pay for, i just think it'd be handy to keep on top of spending and improve ones credit rating whilst not racking up any long term debts :smile: i agree to your point regarding the other cards they do though, unless youre an adult who likes to fly a lot or the like theres little need for them as most of the rewards they offer are in the form of air miles and such :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by cl_steele
this is just personal opinion and all but i was looking at the basic card which you dont have to pay for, i just think it'd be handy to keep on top of spending and improve ones credit rating whilst not racking up any long term debts :smile: i agree to your point regarding the other cards they do though, unless youre an adult who likes to fly a lot or the like theres little need for them as most of the rewards they offer are in the form of air miles and such :smile:

yep i can see they'd be useful for a business person who has to travel a lot etc. especially in america cause of all the internal flights... but the only people i have seen with them are people like the above and people using it as a fashion accessory.

if you want one go for it but remember there are other cards out there so just look which one gives you the best deal money wise, forget about all the "free bonuses" like air miles unless you're a v. frequent flier... just to draw you in.
Reply 4
Yeah Amex aren't great unless you're a business user, and some shops still don't accept them.
Fashion accessory.

Haven't bothered with a credit card yet, not had a steady income long enough, I don't know what I'm gonna have in my account and if I can pay it off at the end of the month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending