The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Considering transferring to York

I'm a first year student at St Andrews University, and am still struggling to settle in. Despite the great academic reputation, I am finding it isolating and claustrophobic and have struggled to make friends.
I went for an interview at York in February and they offered me a place to start 2nd year there in September.

Does anyone have any advice on whether to say or to go? Is there anyone at York who could give me an honest opinion of what it's like to study there?

Thank you
Reply 1
*Bump*

Was just browsing around and thought this person deserved an answer to her query.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Well...I love York, loads of opportunities to get involved with stuff, a great mix of people and still a very good academic reputation.
Reply 3
I've spent nearly 3 years here, and I've enjoyed it a huge amount. There's a great community feel, and the departments appear to be, on the whole, excellent at teaching. The city is a fair size as well - much bigger than St Andrews. There's a lot of cultural stuff going on most of the time, and a plethora of quite impressive drinking establishments too.

Is there anything in particular that you're looking for in a university? I might find it easier to answer your queries if you specify that a little better.
Reply 4
In terms of reputation St. Andrews is definitely the tier above York. Buut, in the grand scheme of things these things don't matter too much. If you're miserable at St. Andrews then go for it.

It's a small place, some people love it, some hate it!

Original post by annarose1
I'm a first year student at St Andrews University, and am still struggling to settle in. Despite the great academic reputation, I am finding it isolating and claustrophobic and have struggled to make friends.
I went for an interview at York in February and they offered me a place to start 2nd year there in September.

Does anyone have any advice on whether to say or to go? Is there anyone at York who could give me an honest opinion of what it's like to study there?

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending