The Student Room Group

How do you motivate yourself to study hard...

If you find quite a few things boring & are of mediocre academic intellect? Thanks for any decent replies :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I made two "exam results certificates". One with the grades I can achieve if I work hard and one with the grades I'll get if I don't. Safe to say one is nicer to look at :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Original post by Multitalented me
If you find quite a few things boring & are of mediocre academic intellect? Thanks for any decent replies :smile:

As above, try and think about how happy you'll be when you get the top grade, and you know the hard work paid off.
Reply 3
I usually cram the night before, so I know that I have to learn it.
I have a lovely lab coat hanging up in my room and I just think to myself, "If I work hard enough I'll be wearing that in September!"
Stupid, I know, but it works. :smile:
Reply 5
Go to Romford, that will motivate you enough.:wink:
I've put a picture of the university I'm going to as the wallpaper on my phone (the Parkinson building at Leeds uni :smile:)

This helps massively as everytime I turn my phone on I see the image and suddenly get motivated to revise since I need high grades to get in!

Alternatively, split the boring stuff into really small sections, like 20mins and then do it in bite-sized chunks. Afterwards, give yourself a break and then go onto something more interesting before revising the next boring bit (if that makes sense lol!)

Maybe try revising it with friends. If you quiz each other it automatically becomes more fun than just reading and writing!

Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by yothi5
I usually cram the night before, so I know that I have to learn it.
exactly what i do too! :tongue: this way, i'm leaving myself no excuses, and i end up desperately studying like a maniac and doing well in the exam as opposed to building up pressure on myself for days.
Deadlines, unfortunately. They really are what works best.

Sometimes I have a mini pep-talk with myself, reminding me that I really do not want to fail. The fact that all my friends are gloriously smart and ridiculously hard-working helps too- I tell myself I'll be embarrassed when they get all A*s at A Level (I kid you not, two of them are genuinely capable of achieving this and most likely will) and I get my mediocre grades and be all upset :frown:
I watched last years graduation ceremony for my faculty online today. That definitely motivated me. That will be me in 2 months time if I work hard and pass my exams.
I go and make myself a lovely burger with fries.. and remember that if I revise, I won't have to do that for the rest of my life.
I tend to exercise before I do two hours of revision. If you exercise, it increases the blood flow to your brain and therefore making it more awake and aware of what it has to do.
Also, i take regular power naps to keep my energy levels to the maximum level. Sometimes is I do this, I can work through half of the night. :smile:
I studied subjects that I was actually interested in in the first place.
Reply 13
Nothing atm :frown:

See my sig lol.

Currently I'm on the cramming road, I do learn well by cramming. I can't focus my attention revising over weeks, I end up wanting to throw something out of the window haha.
Plus once I learn something a few weeks before I'll forget it the next week so I'm back at square 1- albeit potentially picking it up a bit quicker the next time.

I don't like wasting my life learning something I'll forget after my exam, I see exams as pointless- what I write tomorrow in an exam will be totally different to what I write next tuesday in an exam therefore it's not testing my knowledge, more like testing my memory under pressure which doesn't work well for me! I tend to do better in coursework which I can do and get it over with.
Learn it and learn it well or your ass is ****ed :tongue:..sums it up nicely :colone:
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah not going to lie, self motivation is easier said than done. Thing is, when im not revising I honestly don't know what I do. However it soon hits 10pm and I've barely touched a book. I blame YouTube.
Reply 16
Take picture of your Uni offer and look at it every time you start slacking. That should be enough motivation
Reply 17
I lock myself in my room, put on Netsky's radio 1 essential mix (just shy of 2hrs long) and don't leave my room until its done.
I put my essay shorts or jeans on, (extra comfy pyjama shorts or my boy jeans) and force myself into it, then go Asda to buy some interesting food, the eat the food, then finish whatever I'm doing.
Very motivating isn't it :biggrin:.

Good luck with your exam! Get some sleep :smile:

Quick Reply