The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL Biology JUNE 2012 Pre-release article

Scroll to see replies

Is BAT activated in the cold due to the release of thyroxine hormones?
Reply 141
I opened a thread for biology unit 6 written paper, so anyone thats taking the exam can check out the files that i posted or post what they've got.. :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1994223&p=37454168#post37454168 hope the thread will be useful ..
Original post by Spunky_Monkey
Is BAT activated in the cold due to the release of thyroxine hormones?

Yes, or atleast thats what we've been told.
I was reading through all the last few pages - so surprised that people are still doing cw, i had to hand mine in by Christmas!

I havent gone through the pre release just yet - we havent finished the course :O
Original post by .snowflake.
Yes, or atleast thats what we've been told.

Cheers, is it just me or is everyone coming up with these really difficult questions on the pre-release but from what I've seen they're usually pretty simple.
Original post by Spunky_Monkey
Cheers, is it just me or is everyone coming up with these really difficult questions on the pre-release but from what I've seen they're usually pretty simple.

mm, but as Gove is all about 'make A levels harder' etc, i wouldnt be surprised if some of the harder questions do appear.

Spoiler

Original post by .snowflake.
mm, but as Gove is all about 'make A levels harder' etc, i wouldnt be surprised if some of the harder questions do appear.

Spoiler

It's all talk with no real substance, and even if the paper was harder the grade boundaries would just be lower.
Here are some questions I've been given for the pre-release:

1. What criteria might have been used to assess obesity, to arrive at the estimate that almost two thirds of adults and one third of children are obese?

2. Obesity has been linked with heart disease. Suggest a sequence of events that could causally link obesity with and increased risk of heart disease.

3. What is meant by the prevalence of a disease or condition? P6

4. Why is mortality for anorexia expressed as a rate,( in %, or deaths per 100,000), rather than in numbers of deaths? P6

5. Explain how fMRI was able to show that activity increases in the prefrontal cortex in subjects engaged in self-reflection. P9

6. The pre-frontal cortex is part of the frontal lobe of the brain. Describe some of the functions of this part of the brain, and compare it with the function of the medulla.

7. What evidence is given in the text that what is perceived at the ideal body shape for a woman is a cultural construct, rather than from a genetically determined way of identifying a healthy potential mate?

8. Describe the inflammatory process P18

9. Suggest what cells may be reduced in number when cortisol produces ‘impaired immunity’

10. Explain how the ‘contrast effect’ might occur in the retina of the eye, with the stimulus of ‘luminescence’ p25

11. Describe the processes taking place in mitochondria, when ATP production is not uncoupled from the respiration process p28

12. Using your knowledge of chemiosmosis suggest a mechanism by which an uncoupling protein might work.

13. BAT is activated by both the SNS and thyroid hormones. Compare and contrast the way in which these two methods of communication operate.

14. Strictly speaking it is absurd to suggest that a baby has a large body surface, as compared with an adult (p30). Express this relationship in an appropriate way to explain why a baby would have a higher rate of heat loss than an adult.

15. What is meant by a metabolically active tissue p31, and give examples of tissue that might be described as such.

16. Describe the mechanisms by which glucose may be taken up by cells.

17. Describe the responses by the body that might help to prevent death by uncontrollable heat production as described in para 37

18. It is reported no studies for fucoxanthin have been carried out on humans (p38). Outline the protocols that would be carried out before it can be said that the treatment is effective.

19. Outline the role of transcription factors which lead to a higher expression of PRDM16 in BAT, compared to WAT p40

20. Describe the procedures that might be used to genetically modify the mice to produce high levels of PRDM16.

21. Give the characteristics of stem cells that can differentiate into BAT and muscle tissue.

I'm completely dreading this section of the exam! Although having said that, the article is pretty interesting compared to past ones!
Reply 148
Original post by sammy-lou

Those questions are great, thank a lot!

I have been trying to do research about the UCP-1 on how it 'disrupts respiration at the electron transport chain level and prevents the production of some ATP.' But I really haven't been able to work out exactly how it works?

Could anyone help please :smile:

Thanks
Original post by DH3498
Those questions are great, thank a lot!

I have been trying to do research about the UCP-1 on how it 'disrupts respiration at the electron transport chain level and prevents the production of some ATP.' But I really haven't been able to work out exactly how it works?

Could anyone help please :smile:

Thanks

No problem!

Yeah, I just said that it might inhibit ATP synthase somehow, and went in to some detail about how ATP synthase works within the ETC and how it could be inhibited. I'm not sure if that was what the question was looking for but I'll see what my teacher says!

But here's a link with the full set of questions plus answers. I'm not sure if they're the answers that came with the questions or not, because I thought some of them were quite vague/incomplete, but might give you some ideas anyway!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/89838095/Scientific-Article-Questions-Answers-by-Stafford-Final
Reply 150
No problem!

Yeah, I just said that it might inhibit ATP synthase somehow, and went in to some detail about how ATP synthase works within the ETC and how it could be inhibited. I'm not sure if that was what the question was looking for but I'll see what my teacher says!

But here's a link with the full set of questions plus answers. I'm not sure if they're the answers that came with the questions or not, because I thought some of them were quite vague/incomplete, but might give you some ideas anyway!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/89838095/Scientific-Article-Questions-Answers-by-Stafford-Final

Ahhh thanks for those answers :smile:

Erm yeh it could ATP Synthase on the stalked protein channel but then I rhought it's an un-coupling protein to maybe it prevents the uptake of H+/e- therefore reducing the energy produced through redox reactions and reducing the H+ concentration gradient, therefore less H+ diffuses back, less ATP production?
No problem!

I cannot express the extent of my gratitude for that link. Legend!!
Original post by marc_h94
I cannot express the extent of my gratitude for that link. Legend!!

Haha no problem, it's good isn't it!
Here are some questions I've been given for the pre-release:

haha thats the EXACT set of Q's our teacher gave us! apparently they're from a teacher from the Maldives! did you also get the annotations for the article ?
All of it is verrryyy helpful! that person in the Maldives is a babe for doing this hahaa
Original post by hello123450
haha thats the EXACT set of Q's our teacher gave us! apparently they're from a teacher from the Maldives! did you also get the annotations for the article ?
All of it is verrryyy helpful! that person in the Maldives is a babe for doing this hahaa

Haha yeah that's what I heard! No I don't think I got annotations for the article, is that online at all?
Haha yeah that's what I heard! No I don't think I got annotations for the article, is that online at all?

im not too sure tbh =/ because my bio teacher put the annotation and questions in school file system thing so we can get off of there. It might be out there online somewhere though :smile:
Hi guys?

I've made annotations on the pre release article with possible question at the end of the pdf.
check the link out.

I'm sorry it's hand written though, so if you do need it in typed up version, if i have the time, ill do it and let you know :smile:

Hope its useful :wink:

link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2000760&p=37547267#post37547267
Reply 157
Original post by africananimals
Let us all post possible questions to get started. I will start: :smile:

On the last line of paragraph 52 on page 8 of the Scientific Article, there is a statement about the number of women dying because of HIV/AIDS. Explain how the disease caused by HIV has a sequence of symptoms that may result in death.

On paragraph 3 of page 1 of the article, there's a statement : "Obesity is defined as a surplus of body fat which is detrimental to health. This fat, or white adipose tissue (WAT), is located underneath the skin and around the internal organs and stores excess energy in the form of triglycerides."
Describe the structure of a typical fat molecule. Support your answer with a diagram of the fat molecule.

On paragraph 3 of page 1 of the article, there's a statement: "WAT located around the abdomen (giving rise to the ‘apple’ body shape) is considered more dangerous than fat stored around the hips and thighs as it is strongly correlated with type 2 diabetes, heart disease and certain types of cancer."
- Explain what is meant by a correlation
- Explain the difference between a correlation and causal relationship
- Explain why WAT located around the abdomens is dangerous for the heart
- Describe and explain what may lead to obesity

On paragraph 8 of page 1 of the Scientific Article, there's this statement: "Neuroscientists at Brigham Young University in Utah examined subconscious feelings about body image through fMRI analysis of the brains of healthy men and women who were assessed psychometrically as being confident with their bodies."
- Describe and explain how functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scans can be used to investigate brain structure and function.
- There's another imaging technique called Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI).
Describe and explain how Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans can be used to investigate brain structure and function.
Compare MRI and fMRI scans.

Hope you find them useful. Use your knowledge and understanding to answer them. :smile:

I'm just thinking, what would be the answer to your question: Explain why WAT located around the abdomens is dangerous for the heart?

:smile:
Reply 158
Original post by jv.lalloo
Hi guys?

I've made annotations on the pre release article with possible question at the end of the pdf.
check the link out.

I'm sorry it's hand written though, so if you do need it in typed up version, if i have the time, ill do it and let you know :smile:

Hope its useful :wink:

link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2000760&p=37547267#post37547267

this is REALLY helpful!!!! Thaaaank youuu :biggrin:
Reply 159
something to do with post-transcriptional modification could come up.. because DNA methylation is a type of post-translational modification.. it controls gene expression (by switching certain genes on or off).. it is an epigenetic mechanism (environmental factors causing genes to behave/express themselves differently)

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest