The Student Room Group

Male tea drinkers 50% more likely to develop prostate cancer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18494725
Men who are heavy tea drinkers may be more likely to develop prostate cancer, according to new research.

A team from Glasgow University tracked the health of more than 6,000 male volunteers over a period of 37 years.

They found men who drank over seven cups of tea per day had a 50% higher risk of developing prostate cancer than moderate and non tea drinkers.

Well thats depressing...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Who drinks 7 cups of tea a day?

Apparently lots of TSR users... Geez I don't know how you people manage it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Aj12

man gets thirsty :tongue:
Reply 3
Is that all tea? Pretty sure green tea is recommended for decreasing the risk of cancer (> 5 cups a day is recommended)
Thank god i never drink tea every day. Maybe once a month or even a year.
Reply 5
Original post by Aj12

People who want prostate cancer now it seems.
*Says research from the Starbucks institute. :colone:
Reply 7
Original post by Aj12

I'm probably on about my 4th cup today. It's my day off though, so I'm sat about not really doing much.
I usually go through 2-3 cups per day :s-smilie:
Everything causes Cancer nowadays -.-
Oh everything causes cancer. Quite frankly I would rather just enjoy life and get cancer. Excuse me whilst I sit in an oxygen tent and get drip-fed protein shakes for my entire life!
Tea causes cancer? I guess we add this to the list of nonsense.
Yeah but drinking from a mug probably reduces the chance by 50%, so it's probably fine. Everything gives you cancer and everything helps fight it too so im sure they all balance out.
Original post by Steezy
Is that all tea? Pretty sure green tea is recommended for decreasing the risk of cancer (> 5 cups a day is recommended)

decrease for one type of cancer, increase for another...who knows?

I don't care, I love chai.
Tea drinkers may actually live longer though, which allows for the chance of developing cancers to increase? :beard: Therefore it would not be tea per se causing the cancer but the fact that tea extends people's life and with old age comes the chances of more health problems.

Not that it actually bothers me as I never drink tea.
(edited 11 years ago)
Wheres the youtube video showing how EVERYTHING is bad for you. Holy **** some people are stupid.

These researchers are paid for by companies to push products. Dont drink tea! DRINK COFFEE!..............
Men give you cancer.
Tea gives you cancer.
Drinking gives you cancer.
Cordless phones give you cancer.
Black people give you cancer.
Eggs give you cancer.

**** me, why don't we just not do anything through fear of contracting cancer?
Reply 17
Are you guys idiots? I'm not even going to bother reading the article, but I'm fairly certain it's only a correlation study. It's like saying playing basketball makes you taller. Or blacker.
Reply 18
It's a team from Glasgow University.

I'm astounded they managed to find any West of Scotland men who didn't get cancer in a 37 year period.
Reply 19
Than Female non-tea drinkers? :/

Quick Reply