The Student Room Group

Chances and UCAS questions

Im a US student starting my UCAS app for the 2013 school year and I have some questions.

Firstly, I am currently studying at a US university, by the start of the 2013 school year I will have completed 4 semesters (2 years worth) of classes and my predicted grade is 3.7 (equivalent to a first class degree in the UK). I have a glowing recoomendation and a personal statement I have worked very hard on and have had edited by many people. My career goals are to either go into the legal sector, accounting/finance or management consulting. Particularly working in Europe or the Middle East. My SAT score is a cumulative 1800 and I have a high school equivilency diploma with high scores on each of the 5 subjects

My choices are
LSE - LLB
LSE - BSc Economic History
LSE BSc Management
Queen Mary - LLB
SOAS - LLB

Chances?

Also, how do I fill out the education section? do I list every class I have taken at the university I am currently at? Do I list every subject I took in high school?

Do I list the subjects that I am registered to take in the fall and in january, even though I dont have the grades yet?

Are these schools more lenient with international student admissions because we pay higher fees?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

And, yes I did check with each of these schools and they do/will accept my qualifications
Reply 1
Hey, fellow American here studying at LSE!

The first thing I'd say is that you should DEFINITELY decide the degree you want to apply for. Applying for 3 different courses at LSE does not up your chance of being accepted, and it would be really hard to tailor a PS that passionately discusses all 3 of those courses. In fact, even if you apply for more than 1 degree at LSE, you will only get an offer for one, so that's 2 choices wasted right off the bat. Seems like you're leaning towards the LLB right now, why not research a couple other unis and pick two other LLB courses? Wish I could give suggestions, but that's not really my area. I'm sure other people can suggest for you, though.

Well, when I filled it out I applied straight from high school. I just put in "High School Diploma" and then sent them my transcripts. I don't know if this works for university as well... check to see what they'd like you to do? Yeah for the fall and January you should list the subjects and then put "pending" when it asks for the grade. That way, the university knows which subjects you'll be taking.

Er, I wouldn't say they're less lenient... yes we pay overseas fees but they still hold you to the same academic rigor as other home students who have been accepted. They're not going to let in someone with drastically lower grades just because they are an overseas student, but it seems like you don't fit that criteria according to your GPA so you should be fine.

If you have any other questions let me know or send me a PM! :smile:
thanks for the advice! I know it is hard to tailor my personal statement for three different courses, but I basically gushed on and on about my different career goals, and my passion for history, law, economics and business. I think it's pretty thorough! I like all my choices equally and my plan is to basically apply and then let fate decide my future. Also I really do want to stay at University of London colleges because if I do return to America, most American employers really only know about UoL or Oxbridge, regardless of how well ranked Bristol, Birmingham, or Manchester is.

You really think even though I wrote a very inclusive personal statement it will lower my chances of getting offers from anywhere because I chose several different courses? I will send you my personal statement if you'd like and you can give me some opinions.

I'm glad I started this so early so I have time to make changes before I submit On September 1st
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by americanwerewolf
thanks for the advice! I know it is hard to tailor my personal statement for three different courses, but I basically gushed on and on about my different career goals, and my passion for history, law, economics and business. I think it's pretty thorough! I like all my choices equally and my plan is to basically apply and then let fate decide my future. Also I really do want to stay at University of London colleges because if I do return to America, most American employers really only know about UoL or Oxbridge, regardless of how well ranked Bristol, Birmingham, or Manchester is.

You really think even though I wrote a very inclusive personal statement it will lower my chances of getting offers from anywhere because I chose several different courses? I will send you my personal statement if you'd like and you can give me some opinions.

I'm glad I started this so early so I have time to make changes before I submit On September 1st

It would definitely be better to just pick one course at LSE, they're known for putting a lot of emphasis on the personal statement, so it's important to really show your commitment to one course.
Reply 4

Honestly, yes I do. No matter how much you may have included everything and talked about it equally, those courses don't really relate to each other and universities want to see that you're not indecisive. They want to see that you are really interested in one thing, and why that one thing is what you want to do with your life. I'm sure there are people out there who have applied to completely different courses and have had success, but universities really want to see you are interested in your course and that this interest and passion is a reason they should give you a place.

Also, don't worry about applying in September. You're not applying to Oxbridge, so take as much time as you need. LSE don't start giving out offers until the following year in January/February, though I'm not sure about QMUL or SOAS. Even so, many people do not end up submitting applications until later in the year, so don't rush to submit it.

Are you for sure going back to the US? If so, make sure the state you want to take the bar in accepts your LLB - I think you may also have to take the LLM at an American law school in order to have your degree "converted" so you can work in the US. If you aren't entirely sure on whether or not you want to go back to the US, then try a couple other universities. I get what you mean about a lot of UK universities being unknown in America, but if you're still undecided try researching some of them? You can always make up your mind later.
Original post by avash27
Honestly, yes I do. No matter how much you may have included everything and talked about it equally, those courses don't really relate to each other and universities want to see that you're not indecisive. They want to see that you are really interested in one thing, and why that one thing is what you want to do with your life. I'm sure there are people out there who have applied to completely different courses and have had success, but universities really want to see you are interested in your course and that this interest and passion is a reason they should give you a place.

Also, don't worry about applying in September. You're not applying to Oxbridge, so take as much time as you need. LSE don't start giving out offers until the following year in January/February, though I'm not sure about QMUL or SOAS. Even so, many people do not end up submitting applications until later in the year, so don't rush to submit it.

Are you for sure going back to the US? If so, make sure the state you want to take the bar in accepts your LLB - I think you may also have to take the LLM at an American law school in order to have your degree "converted" so you can work in the US. If you aren't entirely sure on whether or not you want to go back to the US, then try a couple other universities. I get what you mean about a lot of UK universities being unknown in America, but if you're still undecided try researching some of them? You can always make up your mind later.

Thank you, I tweaked my personal statement and added two more law courses and got rid of Management and Economic History at LSE.
I want to stay in the UK, but visa requirements are very stringent so I want to keep all of my bases covered in case I have to go back ya know. If I do have to come back to America I will definitely do an LLM.

Another question, when do I send my transcripts, for both High School, College and the SAT?
Do I send them as soon as I apply, when they ask for them, or not at all?

Also, one of the courses Im really interested in requires me to take the LNAT, where can I sit for that here in America? Or do I have to go to the UK for that?
Reply 6
Thank you, I tweaked my personal statement and added two more law courses and got rid of Management and Economic History at LSE.
I want to stay in the UK, but visa requirements are very stringent so I want to keep all of my bases covered in case I have to go back ya know. If I do have to come back to America I will definitely do an LLM.

Another question, when do I send my transcripts, for both High School, College and the SAT?
Do I send them as soon as I apply, when they ask for them, or not at all?

Also, one of the courses Im really interested in requires me to take the LNAT, where can I sit for that here in America? Or do I have to go to the UK for that?

No worries, glad to be of help! And yeah I totally get it, it's good that you've got all your bases covered!

Erm, I sent off my transcripts right after I sent out my application. You should be able to send out SAT scores directly from the College Board website, provided you still have your account login and such. If not, you can call up their helpline and they can send them over the phone. Be sure to look up the university codes on the website so if you do it over the phone, you can easily recite them. It might be helpful to send an email asking whether or not they want your high school transcripts - since you're applying from university already, chances are they might not even want them!

Not entirely versed on that, I'm sure someone else who's applied for law can give you an answer on that. Try the "Americans applying to university in the UK" thread, as I know one of the posters on there is going to Durham for law in the fall, and he might be able to help you if he had to take the LNAT as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending